Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why?!!! WHY?!!! In the name of all that is MIDI why don't devs offer relative MIDI mapping?!!!

2»

Comments

• @chalice

Tested with Remote Novaton and AUM on 3 channels/parameters and working. Not extensive tested yet. I'm about to purchase a Midi Fighter Twisted now. Thanks a lot.
    Anyway it would be great when AUM set it up, there will be bidirectional MIDI flow, no jumps whatsoever (I guess)

• edited July 2019

That’s why I’ve had to continually use Midiflow along side my apps, to do all the stuff the apps don’t.

• @rs2000 said:
    This is one of the many reasons why I'm still able to draw a clear line between desktop OS and iOS apps. Why would a developer invest the effort when 99% of the iDevice musicians are using their iPad or iPhone just for the fun of it, I dare to say mostly even without any external gear.
    I am a steady defender of more in-depth MIDI support in iOS apps because it has the potential of opening a whole new exciting world when using, for example, an iPad with external MIDI controllers and groove boxes, but judging from the average amount of responses that related requests usually get, advanced MIDI features seem to be much less interesting than a fresh new app with a new look.

Anyway, if enough people ask for it, I see no reason why it shouldn't be added to any controllable app.
    Relative controllers have the great advantage that they neither cause value jumps nor do they need parameter feedback (although that would be nice of course).

From the development aspect the implementation of relative controllers is rather easy to do, but IMHO it's only useful if it's configurable enough to support most of the relative CC protocols out there today.

If any developer reads this:
    Check what relative MIDI control variations Ableton Live supports and use that as a reference.

This

• edited October 2019

I was confused since I read on the net there are 3 relative modes and I try to find a way for a utility that reads a knob and automatically understands if it's absolute or relative.

I think about dropping 3d mode because Arturia did their own thing, Reaper shows other and bcr2000 has gazillion other modes.

So is anyone using a different mode than

Mode 1 : 127=-1 , 1=+1
    Mode 2 : 63=-1 , 65=+1

????

And a quick question , on a midi CC button ,'on' is 127 and 'off'=0 ?

• Coughs....why i like IAA( IAA I. Falsetto voice)

• @Korakios said:
    I was confused since I read on the net there are 3 relative modes and I try to find a way for a utility that reads a knob and automatically understands if it's absolute or relative.

I think about dropping 3d mode because Arturia did their own thing, Reaper shows other and bcr2000 has gazillion other modes.

So is anyone using a different mode than

Mode 1 : 127=-1 , 1=+1
    Mode 2 : 63=-1 , 65=+1

????

And a quick question , on a midi CC button ,'on' is 127 and 'off'=0 ?

Ableton Live can guess the type of a relative controller message but there's no safe method of detecting such.

Yes, usually any CC switch value above 64 is "on" and below is "off".
    I had wished for relative CC support in the past too but in practice it's only half of the story. You will want parameter feedback as well, otherwise you never know the current CC values on your controller.

Today I don't care anymore because tuning knobs on the touch screen works well enough for me and should the knobs be too small, I'm just using the assistive touch three-fingers double-tap for zooming.

• edited October 2019

I think I can catch two identical values in a row that can't be send by an absolute encoder, but I was wondering if there was a well known third mode I missed.

Thanks for the CC switch info ,I though all go 127 or 0 :)

@RUST( i )K said:
    Coughs....why i like IAA( IAA I. Falsetto voice)

Wrong post ?!!

• @chalice thanks for this . I’m trying to use the script with Faderfox LV2’s endless encoders.

I am seeing modified behaviour but for me the polarities are reversed (decrement result in positive values and vice versa). Also I’m only getting values of 0, 33, 95 & 127 - 95 & 127 on the way up and 33 & 0 on the way down.

Any idea where I can look in the code to have it work for the Faderfox ? I don’t code but I’m prepared to dive in if you can nudge me in the right direction.... no worries if not.

Thanks