Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Some happy news about Borderlands and AB support

I copy this from Borderlands forum:

thanks for your kind message! good catch on the 22050 sample rate - it is indeed fixed in version 1, primarily due to the limitations of performance on the lower models of the ipad. i realize that this sample rate is not ideal and am planning to include a switch (44.1 and 22.05 at least. maybe also 48k) in the new version.

i am very excited to get the update in the store - it's been a very long process due to the intensity of my primary work commitments, but i can assure you that i am making good progress and have not abandoned the project.

here are a few of the features that i have in place already and will be fine tuning in the coming weeks before getting the update in the store:
audiobus - finally, stream audio out of borderlands to audiobus.
scene saving and loading - store and recall collections of grain clouds and sounds. easily copy the configuration file and stored sounds between ipads using file sharing
independent resonant filters on each grain cloud (including LPF, HPF, Bandpass, Boost/Cut). also - an option to randomize the cutoff frequency of the filter each time a grain fires.
tempo synced grains - turn on tempo sync for a grain cloud and each successive grain will fire "on the grid" governed by a master BPM. - sync is switchable between 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/8T, etc...
duplicate clouds by opening a cloud for editing and double tapping outside create a new cloud.
limiter on output to help reduce clipping

here are some commonly requested tweaks that are done and will be included with the new update:
screen rotation is no longer fixed. both landscape orientations are supported (rotation can be locked using the lock switch on the ipad)
file sharing now works
fine tuning of parameters via iTunes-playhead-style distance scrubbing
logarithmic instead of linear volume changes for grains sampling along y dimension of rectangle
exponential decay window has been softened slightly for less of a pop

bugfixes -

several causes of crashes when loading files into borderlands have been found and fixed. in general, audio loading is MUCH more stable in version 2. handling of the memory limitations has been improved to allow for more audio to be loaded. safeguards against hitting the RAM limits have been greatly improved to respond only when needed and prevent crashes.

...and features on which i am still working, but plan to include in V2 barring any unforeseen complications.
integration of audioshare SDK for easy input from other apps, audiobus, external mic, etc.
delete sound files and load new sounds while the app is open
resample / load sounds from the "recordings" menu into the synthesis area
settings menu with sample rate, buffer size, various other options
anyway, that's the update for now. hope you and everybody following this list are doing well! thank you all for your continued support and for your patience as i get closer to releasing version 2.

best wishes!
chris

Comments

• edited March 2014

• @Simon I weating 1 year and half before this app come out (like Audiobus too)….
    and I can weating another year for this update…

he deserves it and I'm patient :)

• edited March 2014

• edited December 2013

This is one of the first apps I bought and I still love it. Sure it is limited in its current form. Sample rate is rubbish and it clips all over the place, but it is still unique in all the store. Really looking forward to the update. Looking at his webpage he has a lot of other stuff going on and at least he is upfront about it.

• I think people forget sometimes that, in most conditions, that developers create apps on the side and sometimes don't have time for updates immediately due to life circumstances and such. I know we've grown to expect these things with all the top notch devs we have around here but they are humans, not robots.

At least he offers support and actually responds and shows some hope for future updates of what I think is a really unique app!

• edited March 2014

• I too hate to say this , but I will believe it when I see it !
    Waited a bit too long for any update... It's all cool and shit but like the strange agency apps, it's just not coming !

In the meanwhile, I read about the Mangler last week
    http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/
    It's Mac only for now and in beta but it looks what borderland can become on a touch device... Seems a cool piece of software and do check out the video... I hope it gets ported to iDevice

• edited March 2014

• edited December 2013

Thanks for the link @thepinkelephant. A cross between Curtis and Borderlands almost. It is available for Windows too but needs Win7 minimum it seems. Bugger! I really have to upgrade from XP one of these light-years.
    This would indeed be good if ported to iOS.

It is indeed a pain to get samples into @Simon. You have to create a Playlist called borderlands in iTunes!!

• I was delighted when I bought it a year ago, I have used it for a year, with samplr, loopy, werk bench despite the reloading frustrations. Borderlands is really something new, and I would rather wait for something to be improved than have broken updates than need updating the week after. No it's not perfect, yes it's been a long time, but it's unique, playable, and my god it's fantastic news!

• edited March 2014

• Grr...

I don't wanna quote anybody in particular, but seriously.... have we become so spoilt that having spent just £3 on an inventive app, we verge on being insultive towards a developer who has never hidden the fact that this app was a side project to his real world commitments.

How about being supportive and grateful for even having this app on your device.

• "I wasn't expecting an update "immediately"... it has been over a year! :-)"

Wish you had come from hardware music instruments world, man...

• @SpookyZoo - you can quote me! Lol :)

• edited March 2014

• edited December 2013

@Simon - I told him to quote me because I said basically the same thing it just got covered by other posts lol Stop complaining Hamburgler!!! Jk

• I became aware of Borderlands nearly a year ago during the first wave of Audiobus dev recruitment and did a bit of research. It was pretty obvious that Audiobus compatability, or any updates, for that matter, were a distant dream, so I didn't get it.

• Borderlands app was just a "student project", no?

• I didn't see any mention of importing audio by Audio Copy/Paste, "open in", or Audiobus, unless I missed it - anything other than by iTunes. This is the feature I want the most.

• edited March 2014