Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JamUp problem in AB with Cantor

edited January 2013 in General App Discussion

Well my favorite set-up of all is now unusable. It seems since the last JamUp update now everytime you hit a note in Cantor it changes the preset in JamUp. It might do this with other midi controllers as well.. Maybe GeoSynth.. If someone can try that.

I contacted Positive Grid and told them what's up but I thought I'd post it here too in case anyone can try other MIDI controllers (that don't have a select midi out) and see if it's doing it for them as well.

Sad day :-(

Comments

• edited January 2013

Geo does the same, but only if Jamup is selected as a MIDI destination. No Audiobus in the equation, it happens anyway. I just tried using MidiBridge to block all MIDI into Jamup, but it only works if I select MidiBridge in Geo, which of course you can't do in Cantor. For an app which is conceptually a MIDI controller, it's not particularly configurable. Where is the MIDI going? Everywhere, I guess.

Do you not have Geo? It performs pretty much the same as Cantor, but you can choose the MIDI destination.

• edited January 2013

Bummer! Yeah I didn't buy Geo cause Cantor was free and all I wanted it for was the midi controller. I'm very poor. lol Yup, the midi sends to anything that accepts midi, never was a problem till now. I'll see if I have $10. lol

I found a temporary workaround by using two devices.. but then I have iRig noise to deal with. lol Hopefully Positive Grid will email me with a solution or some good news.

EDIT: Bought Geo.. I had $14. ha! I figure at least Rob is working on AB for this somewhat. :-))

• Ouch Rob, wrist slap for that one! That's the first rule of enlightened MIDI controllers, don't broadcast your junk. ;)

• The dev's emailed me back. They think the problem was with ThumbJam but I assured them that it's not @sonosaurus. Anyhow, they are working on a fix now. Probably just a MIDI in selection dialog. :-)

BTW Geo has a lot of nice features. Stuff I thought I needed when playing Cantor like the hiding menu. It is different in how the slides work for sure. Get a more fretted feel with Geo... I might be missing some options still but as far as I could tell the main difference are how the slides sound via midi and TJ.

• With Geo, I set [panel 3] Channel span 1 to 16, MIDI bends on, MIDI bend range 12 ( same in TJ ), [panel 2] Volume 0, [panel 1] Octave manual, Lock pitch off, Round attack on, Poly, Legato, Width 0, Rows 8, Center 0.
    That should have you sliding around like Cantor. Don't forget to save the patch, as all the screen settings get saved with the patch and loading other sounds will change them.

• @PaulB Thanks man! It was turning "Lock Pitch" off that did it. Nice, I really liked the fretted sound too so this is extra good. Worth the $10 all day long. :-)

• Cool. If you can pick up email on your iPad and you message me your address, I can send you some patches when I get back from work. I have versions of some of the factory presets with the screen set up better plus a few of my own that I made using Samplewiz.

• That'd be cool. Will do.

• edited January 2013

Yeah, I when I was building Cantor, I was looking at the decision to broadcast to every synth and not have to build a GUI to filter the ones you don't want, and just saying "well shut down everything except what you are using!". Having to go select the particular synths adds more complication to something that's already too complicated.

It's not a coincidence that I went ahead and made Cantor open source when Audiobus came out. I figured that this would happen. Geo doesn't broadcast like that, so it won't have that issue.

So, if anybody want's to make their own fork of Cantor, that's cool with me. When I am done with Geo, I'm either going to be doing something entirely different (win8?), or putting out a version of Cantor with the sound engine completely removed (it's a monumental distraction... Cantor was much better before I put the audio engine in. I am going back to focusing on doing one thing right.)

• (btw... audiobus support to control loopy is totally worth it. i wish I could gut geo and throw out the entire audio engine/fx chain, etc...but I can't... it's not completely my app. there should be a Cantor version like that though... straight MIDI, and audiobus just to get the loop buttons, etc. i am finding all kinds of midi issues with Cantor versus Novation UltraNova. Next time, I am going to just do a straight channel-per-string implementation to simplify the messaging so that it works with more stuff.)

• @rrr00bb I guess the landscape changed somewhat last year. People weren't expecting to be able to run more than one MIDI controllable audio app at a time before Audiobus came along. I'm just grateful that you're prepared to stick around to tweak a few things before you move on to other projects. If you do decide to rethink Cantor to the extent you suggest, please release it as a separate app, so that we can have both versions on the same iDevice.

• @PaulB I second that. All of it. lol

@rrr00bb Now that I've bought Geo and had time to play with it I see why you said it needed Audiobus more then Cantor did and I like it more then I did Cantor if only for being able to have prestes and hide the menu. It's nice to hear that you see my point about needing the buttons for recording with the midi controller now though. You must have been playing around with Audiobus enough to start noticing lately. At first I didn't see why it mattered much either but once you get into recoding anything it becomes pretty important. :-)

• Thank you @rrr00bb for making Cantor, and making me lose the better part of what may have otherwise been a good nights sleep due to excessive jamming!

That controller is really amazing, it communicates with Animoog beautifully.

So... Now that Audiobus SDK is out, and knowing cantor is available, any of you devs interested in building us devoted fans an Audiobus version of Cantor?