Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Apple Oct 30th 2018 Event...

...was both awesome and a little bit of a letdown. Awesome with all the new gizmos (especially that 2nd Gen Apple Pencil) and such, but the letdown is clearly in the lack of innovations in music creation. Aside from "Today at Apple" events, the only other thing I saw that was related to music was some DJ app. It's fine if you're a DJ? However, I kept anticipating the announcement of "the full Logic Pro X on your iPad" right after they showed off "the real Photoshop" and some augmented reality voodoo. I will say that 100+ layers on a 12Kx12K canvas is extremely impressive, but I'm sure ProCreate can match it sans subscription. If that new iPad Pro can run a highly demanding game like that NBA one they showed off, it can run Logic Pro X.

Comments

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    ...was both awesome and a little bit of a letdown. Awesome with all the new gizmos (especially that 2nd Gen Apple Pencil) and such, but the letdown is clearly in the lack of innovations in music creation. Aside from "Today at Apple" events, the only other thing I saw that was related to music was some DJ app. It's fine if you're a DJ? However, I kept anticipating the announcement of "the full Logic Pro X on your iPad" right after they showed off "the real Photoshop" and some augmented reality voodoo. I will say that 100+ layers on a 12Kx12K canvas is extremely impressive, but I'm sure ProCreate can match it sans subscription. If that new iPad Pro can run a highly demanding game like that NBA one they showed off, it can run Logic Pro X.

They put enphasys on Mainstage at mac mini part so go figure. iPad will keep itself a complement... Adobe is doing that because they gone cloud based IMO (the emphasys again on the photoshop we had been desiring slaps in the face of wacom...

So it’s more probably to see Ableton or similar doing a demo next year than Apple giving freedom to Logic outside a mac... until mac and ipad become the same. We are approaching but it doesn’t seems still the moment...

• Anyone remember the name of that VJ/DJ app they showed off?

• What I liked:

Lots of connectivity still on the Mac Mini.
    Pencil design and charging looks much better.
    The new iPad Pro 12.9 is way nicer than before because it’s shrunk.
    USB C looks better at least hoping it is.

What I didn’t like:

64gb starting size for £769 - go fuck yourself!
    The continual steady price rise and no fall in price for older models.
    The how great our iPad are against laptops, yet an iPad can only just run full photoshop (my laptop could do that back in 2006 and cost £500). I bet they nerf the USB C port so you can only use their own over price shite hooked up to it.
    No Logic Pro X for iOS.
    The stage shows are still over staged self smug propaganda managed swinging time pieces to make you believe Apple is fantastic!
    Winge winge moan moan....etc etc....

• A> @Fruitbat1919 said:

What I liked:

That was a pleasant surprise that they kept usb 3. I’ll be looking seriously at these... but it’s so expensive for the i7

• New USB-C -> 3.5mm dongle from Apple... They have totally lost it this time...

• @Samu said:
    New USB-C -> 3.5mm dongle from Apple... They have totally lost it this time...

Man that sucks - at least it is only $9

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    What I liked:

Pencil design and charging looks much better.
    The new iPad Pro 12.9 is way nicer than before because it’s shrunk.
    USB C looks better at least hoping it is.

What I didn’t like:

64gb starting size for £769 - go fuck yourself!
    The continual steady price rise and no fall in price for older models.
    The how great our iPad are against laptops, yet an iPad can only just run full photoshop (my laptop could do that back in 2006 and cost £500). I bet they nerf the USB C port so you can only use their own over price shite hooked up to it.
    No Logic Pro X for iOS.
    The stage shows are still over staged self smug propaganda managed swinging time pieces to make you believe Apple is fantastic!
    Winge winge moan moan....etc etc....

Yes, they try to sell the iPad as a notebook replacement which it is clearly not.....if you really need a notebook workflow....which many people might not do these days.
    But of course i bet their plan is to make their own macbooks obsolete at some point when an iPad can really replace them and everything goes over the app store.
    Most disappointment.....no 3D touch on iPads.

• This new ipad pro is a BEAST!

• the event letdown: for me, I was hoping the iPad Mini would get a refresh. such a great screen and size.

• Didn't see enough to upgrade from my 10.5 or my current Apple Pencil to be honest.

That mac-mini caught my eye though. Tricked out the way I'd want it... roughly $1500

• Well I’m going to watch prices and keep my eye out for a second Hand 10.5 and a cheap as chips old Mac Mini. If I’m careful, I should be able to get both for less than a new iPad Pro with suitable storage :)

• @skiphunt said:
    Didn't see enough to upgrade from my 10.5 or my current Apple Pencil to be honest.

That mac-mini caught my eye though. Tricked out the way I'd want it... roughly $1500

This is why I loved the event. The new Pro is a beast and I will grab one used in a few months but nothing made my current 10.5 feel old.

• edited October 2018

A bit of a disappointment. I was hoping to see the new iPad mini but it didn’t happen. The new iPad Pro looks good and usb-c is a welcome feature but I’m deeply disappointed that they got rid of the headphone jack and the prices are ludicrous.

I’m so glad I got myself a Surface Pro and having fun using Bitwig, Ableton and Yeco and haven’t looked back. The only thing I miss about the iPad is the battery life.

• What was the cost of the previous 10” Pro? The new 11” is £769 for 64gb, which is less than I thought it’d be.

• edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I take it that the base iPad still has the lightning and headphone jack?

• So many synth apps have keyboards at the bottom of the screen and don’t function well with multitouch gestures. Not having a home button seems like a total nightmare.

• @AudioGus said:
    I take it that the base iPad still has the lightning and headphone jack?

They only updated the Pro models so yea

• edited October 2018

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@AudioGus said:

When did it start to remove things called updates....i´m too old :D

• @Cib said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@AudioGus said:

Lmao they removed the headphone jack oh my god it’s the end of the world. The home button was a given. The gestures are already in iOS 12.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@Cib said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@AudioGus said:

Lmao they removed the headphone jack oh my god it’s the end of the world. The home button was a given. The gestures are already in iOS 12.

I hate the gestures. I need some hardware knobs to push :)

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@Cib said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@AudioGus said:

Having the adapter in the middle of the ipad for headphone use makes it more cumbersome to hold/use the iPad while walking which is my particular niche fetish.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2018

So the A12X almost doubles the A10X in multicore performance, means it should beat an i7 7700 on Geekbench :open_mouth:

• @Toelessfoot said:
    So the A12X almost doubles the A10X in multicore performance, means it should beat an i7 7700 on Geekbench :open_mouth:

When used outside above the arctic circle.

• Thanx Apple, for the new Mac mini. My 2011 version still runs Pro Tools with lots of plugins, flawlessly.
    However, I welcome the serious approach they gave given it this time, with lots of connectivity.

I have two iPad Pros, both generations, of whom I like Mark I the best, because of its lightness I suppose.
    but I also have the iPhone Xs Max... and the prices are way over the top.
    So I can’t see any way justifying me buying yet another fantastic iDevice.

I know my wife will look with a sharp eye on our bills the coming month, until the sugar rush has gone

• @Max23 said:
    im not going to buy a mobile computer without a headphone jack.
    if I have to add a cluster of adapters its the end of mobile. :#

I thought this too before I got my iPhone 8 Plus, which also has no jack. While the dongle is more of a nuisance than having a jack, it's certainly doable. What I don't like is not being able to charge at the same time I listen to a movie etc. Although I guess Apple will be happy to sell us a combo-dongle CCK with an audio out jack at some point.

• Haven’t looked at iPad deets yet, but since my main axe for 6 years has been a 2012 Mac Mini, I’ve been eager to see the update after all this time. Unfortunately, it continues Apple push away from affordablity.

Here is how it looks from my perspective:

2012 Mac Mini: Quadcore i7, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD.............$850.
    That is what I believe I paid (OWC did the memory and HD.) Has served my needs for 6 years. Only thing I wish for is 32GB RAM, and a second Thunderbolt port.

2018 Mac Mini: Quadcore i3 (i3!), 32 GB RAM, 2TB SSD....$3000!

6 years of progress, and they can’t seem to deliver more performance at anywhere close to a comparable price.

In fact, the base model Mini (Quadcore i3, 8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD) is $800! Significantly less powerful than what you could buy for around $800 in 2012

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Haven’t looked at iPad deets yet, but since my main axe for 6 years has been a 2012 Mac Mini, I’ve been eager to see the update after all this time. Unfortunately, it continues Apple push away from affordablity.

That is what I believe I paid (OWC did the memory and HD.) Has served my needs for 6 years. Only thing I wish for is 32GB RAM, and a second Thunderbolt port.

6 years of progress, and they can’t seem to deliver more performance at anywhere close to a comparable price.

In fact, the base model Mini (Quadcore i3, 8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD) is $800! Significantly less powerful than what you could buy for around $800 in 2012

In Apple’s defense the SSDs they use are some of the fastest out hands down. SSDs are also very expensive. I’m sure the processors are significantly faster as well considering in 2012 they were 5th (I think) gen intel vs 8th gen now

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    Haven’t looked at iPad deets yet, but since my main axe for 6 years has been a 2012 Mac Mini, I’ve been eager to see the update after all this time. Unfortunately, it continues Apple push away from affordablity.

In Apple’s defense the SSDs they use are some of the fastest out hands down. SSDs are also very expensive. I’m sure the processors are significantly faster as well considering in 2012 they were 5th (I think) gen intel vs 8th gen now

SSD’s aren’t that expensive. I bought a 500gb SSD for £90 a few months back, good make too.

I was interested in replacing my 9 year old Dell desktop with a new Mini, but the prices are terrifying.