Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alesis iODock

edited December 2013 in General App Discussion

Ok this may be a "newbie" kind of question, but here goes...
I am using a M-Audio Key Rig 49 which is USB only. I know it transmits some MIDI information, but I have always used it directly though a USB hub into my iPad 2. Now I have the Alesis iODock which I love using as an input device, but I'm not sure how to get my M-Audio keyboard to drive keyboard apps since it uses MIDI as it's input method...

Does anyone have experience with this or some suggestions? I hate to keep unpluging the iPad from the Alesis every time I need to lay lay down keyboard tracks....

Thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2013

You could use your computer to route the MIDI through a DAW back out into the IOdock. I typically do this because I just don't like mixing on the iPad, so I always output into my DAW anyhoo.

But you could hack the IOdock to have usb inputs on it. See here: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/01/03/alesis-io-dock-hack-adds-an-internal-usb-hub/

I've been meaning to do this to mine, but haven't found the time. The tut is very in-depth though so if you're capable at soldering, shouldn't be too tough :)

But in terms of using solely the IOdock, the ipad, and the keyboard... unfortunately it isn't really possible. You need either a keyboard with MIDI outs, or a middle-man to handle the input from the keyboard and send it out to the IOdock's usb.

• I had a feeling that might be the case...Thanks for the feedback! This is all new to me, but I'm learning....

• Hey, if I use Jordan Rudess as the middle-man, will it improve my keyboard playing?

• Now there's a thought!

• @PaulB yes but he'll also try to convince you to buy sub-par accessories, so it's a trade-off.

• edited December 2013

Not sure I'd want to wear a shaving brush on my chin, either...

• His goatee is the source of all his power.

• I don't quite see how it reaches the wall socket...

• I use a Novation SL Compact 49 with midi in and out and it plays very nicely with my Alesis IO dock and syncs with Logic Pro. Get an alternative midi keyboard for cheap and forget about hacking and all that.

• @FrankieJay said:

I use a Novation SL Compact 49 with midi in and out and it plays very nicely with my Alesis IO dock and syncs with Logic Pro. Get an alternative midi keyboard for cheap and forget about hacking and all that.

forget...about...hacking?

good advice all in all. I would just get any old board with midi i/o. even an old MidiMan or Edirol controller, which you can find online for like $30.

But, no, I will always hack.

• CHD: compulsive hacking disorder. Most of us here have it. I think that's how Audiobus was invented...

• Of course I can also just do what I'm doing now which unplugging from the dock and switching to CCK....it's just a drag is all....If I ever use this rig live I wouldn't be using the Key Rig at that point anyway.