Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS Audio Interface that is also a 4 channel mixer

edited October 2018 in Other

Learned people,
I am looking for an audio interface that will work with the iPad that:
*is horizontally oriented, i.e. like a Focusrite usb interface, not a usb equipped mixer
*has physical knobs that could be used to mix 4 channel inputs
*has direct monitoring so those 4 live inputs dont have much latency against the iPad output
*has xlr and 1/4 inputs
*has either a way to switch for intrument and line level or set at least two intrument level 1/4 inouts
*has 5 pin or 1/8 midi

I found some Focusrite and iConnect options that seem like they would work, so would like your mini reviews of those and ideas for others.

Edit: initially said 6 ch. wasn’t articulated clearly.

Comments

• Behringer x32 rack will do this if you are looking in that price range. Other rackmount digital mixers may do it as well, but I haven't tried them.

The only thing on the x32 rack is that you won't have 4 knobs, but you can scroll through channels and have physical control. You can also use another tablet with it (the android app mixing station pro is awesome, I have an android tab just to use that), or an x-touch control surface.

• Your title says you need 6 channels, but your post says 4 channels. I suppose that is going to make a huge difference. I have the iConnectAudio4+ (4 ins only)and it’s been pretty good to me, but I don’t use it that often because I mostly do all MIDI stuff into the iPad. If you want it to be horizontal because you want to put something on top of it, know that the iCA4+ can start to get a bit hot during use, so you wouldn’t want to cover it up too much to let it breath some.

It only has one knob and then you touch the capacitive LEDs to select what channel etc you are controlling. There is some visual feedback on the levels. It’s not that quick to use, but it’s also not that slow to get your levels.

The other advantage of the iCA4+ is you can use it to bridge your iPad into your desktop, or you can use it to make 2 iPads/iPhones run completely interconnected.

I’d also look at the Behringer XR18 3 rack spaces but no knobs I think. KMI Kmix, it has a lot of things you said you didn’t want, but it’s so small and compact it might fit in where you thought a mixer wouldn’t.

• edited October 2018

@DMan said:
    Your title says you need 6 channels, but your post says 4 channels. I suppose that is going to make a huge difference. I have the iConnectAudio4+ (4 ins only)and it’s been pretty good to me, but I don’t use it that often because I mostly do all MIDI stuff into the iPad. If you want it to be horizontal because you want to put something on top of it, know that the iCA4+ can start to get a bit hot during use, so you wouldn’t want to cover it up too much to let it breath some.

It only has one knob and then you touch the capacitive LEDs to select what channel etc you are controlling. There is some visual feedback on the levels. It’s not that quick to use, but it’s also not that slow to get your levels.

The other advantage of the iCA4+ is you can use it to bridge your iPad into your desktop, or you can use it to make 2 iPads/iPhones run completely interconnected.

I’d also look at the Behringer XR18 3 rack spaces but no knobs I think. KMI Kmix, it has a lot of things you said you didn’t want, but it’s so small and compact it might fit in where you thought a mixer wouldn’t.

I meant to mean that two of the channels are the iPad tracks. I just dont need physical knobs for those. But ya, mostly an issue of posting before coffee.

Good tip on the ICA4+, would not have guessed that by looking. Ya i could give it breathing space where it has to go, i just wwouldnt be able to adjust anything.

• @Multicellular said:
    Good tip on the ICA4+, would not have guessed that by looking. Ya i could give it breathing space where it has to go, i just wwouldnt be able to adjust anything.

It has 3 microprocessors inside of it, if I remember correctly. It is kind of a magic machine for all it is capable of doing. I mean I’ve had an iPad Air 2 on top of mine before and it was no problem. Just don’t bury it. The great thing about the iCA4+ is it’s also a USB MIDI host. So, you can connect all your stuff up by USB MIDI and not need an iPad or any other computer in the chain. That’s really nice, because that means if your iPad crashes, your other stuff is still connected if it’s set up right!! It can also do MIDI CC translation in there too. It’s a pain to set up the more advanced you get with it though. My use has always been pretty basic and it’s not hard to set up for that kind of thing. There is also an editor on iPad so you can do some fancy routing/troubleshooting away from your computer.

I haven’t tried mine yet with iOS 12 though, I haven’t heard any reports of it not working.

• @DMan is there still an iOS app available for iConnectAudio4+? The iConfig in the app store looks old, and has been removed from the iConnect software page.

• edited October 2018

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_rt_series/ur_rt4.html

You want this. It's a little more expensive than others but xformers...

Or go for the UR44 if you want cheaper

• @mistercharlie said:
    @DMan is there still an iOS app available for iConnectAudio4+? The iConfig in the app store looks old, and has been removed from the iConnect software page.

I still have the app anyway on all my iPads. I don’t have my iPad now, and only know that it was working on iOS 11. I need to check on iOS 12. iConfig for Audio is the one. It seems to still be in the App Store. I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been updated in a while.

• edited October 2018

Might be a little too 'mixer' for you but otherwise you've perfectly described the Alesis iO4. https://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/io4 Also works as a stand alone 4-channel mixer. Each input can be either mic, line or hi-z. DIN MIDI. Direct monitoring, etc. Cheap used.

• @syrupcore said:
    Might be a little too 'mixer' for you but otherwise you've perfectly described the Alesis iO4. https://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/io4 Also works as a stand alone 4-channel mixer.

Wow! Never seen that before!

• 90€ in wallapop (craiglist-like app)

• @DMan said:

@mistercharlie said:
    @DMan is there still an iOS app available for iConnectAudio4+? The iConfig in the app store looks old, and has been removed from the iConnect software page.

I still have the app anyway on all my iPads. I don’t have my iPad now, and only know that it was working on iOS 11. I need to check on iOS 12. iConfig for Audio is the one. It seems to still be in the App Store. I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been updated in a while.

Thanks! I shall check it out.