Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Autony Unreliable Sequence Generator from Pagefell.

Comments

• @Richtowns fix for Auria coming in the update I'm just uploading

• @pagefall I’m actually @Eye0sStudios 😁. But here is a video with the problem. I first noticed it when I added another instance but it’s doing the same on just one. In the video I am changing the clock unit, saving the new file and the closing AUM. I open it back up and it’s not saved. Thanks for looking at this.

• @Eye0sStudios said:
    @pagefall I’m actually @Eye0sStudios 😁.

oops :-)

Was that file pre-existing or just from your testing? does it happen on a brand new file (but doing the same saving and loading) ? - you are on latest iOs and AUM I presume?

• @pagefall said:

@Eye0sStudios said:
    @pagefall I’m actually @Eye0sStudios 😁.

oops :-)

Was that file pre-existing or just from your testing? does it happen on a brand new file (but doing the same saving and loading) ? - you are on latest iOs and AUM I presume?

That was on pre-existing file. I’m on latest of AUM iOS and Autony.
    Let me try new file and see what happens.

• @pagefall ok here is what I’m seeing. And this is happening in Audiobus as well. It saves some settings but for example it will never save the clock unit, reliability or quantity. This is very odd.

• @Eye0sStudios said:
    @pagefall ok here is what I’m seeing. And this is happening in Audiobus as well. It saves some settings but for example it will never save the clock unit, reliability or quantity. This is very odd.

Have you definitely got the latest version - because there was an issue with those knobs but I thought I'd fixed it - like I say I'm not able to reproduce it here still

• @pagefall said:
    @Richtowns fix for Auria coming in the update I'm just uploading

Thank you. A very nice addition to AP. I hope you are enjoying AP, you can now enter into one of the debates about which DAW is best (sorry for trolling)

Unfortunately I have found that in AP, Audity feeding into Cality when they are loaded into successive slots in the instrument ‘channel strip’ causes unexpected results, cpu spikes and kills the audio. Cality being fed by StepPolyArp works gloriously however. Let me know if you cant reproduce and Ill give you step by step instructions.

Great apps, getting better all the time :)

• @pagefall Hmm, it isnt as serious as I thought. It only seems to affect the default AP instrument, the Lyra sampler. I tried this with other AP synths and a few AUv3 synths and your apps work fine. Id send an email to Rim but it looks like my a count has been locked and Ive been waiting a while now for a password reset for the wavemachine forum.

• @pagefall I updated to the latest version of Autony, and recorded a video in AUM that shows the state-saving issue with the knobs at default when loading a saved preset.

In the video below, I set Clock to 1/4, Reliability and Quantity to 50% and saved it, but when recalling it, those 3 parameters are back at default. Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y145t00e7convvl/RPReplay_Final1557193078.MP4?dl=0

• edited May 2019

@richtowns - when I fixed my app working with Auria - I found a difference in the way Auria handles sample rate with other hosts. - I reported that to the developer. I wouldn't be surprised if it effected other apps (not I might add because he is doing anything wrong - just the other hosts all seem to have slightly different notifications which apps might be relying on - like mine was!)

@ocelot - so it only happens sometimes? that might be a useful piece of information to help track the issue down....

• @pagefall Just more info for you. Same behavior happens on both my IPhone and iPad. Won’t save settings.

I know this is frustrating for you and I hope that you get it worked out.

• @Eye0sStudios said:
    @pagefall Just more info for you. Same behavior happens on both my IPhone and iPad. Won’t save settings.

is it all the time or intermittent - just looking for any clues since I can't currently reproduce it

• @pagefall said:

@Eye0sStudios said:
    @pagefall Just more info for you. Same behavior happens on both my IPhone and iPad. Won’t save settings.

is it all the time or intermittent - just looking for any clues since I can't currently reproduce it

It’s all the time for me.... as a side note Cality works ok and saves the settings.

• @Eye0sStudios said:

@pagefall said:

@Eye0sStudios said:

It’s all the time for me.... as a side note Cality works ok and saves the settings.

yeah - whatever it is is odd - there is nothing obvious I can see. I'll be able to fix it as soon as I can reproduce it or once I work out what it might be - but scratching my head just now!

• It was easy for me to reproduce this properties-saving-bug: load 2 instances of Autony in a midi lane in AUM, change all properties in the 2 Autony-instances and save this simple setup as an AUM-preset. Clear AUM and load the preset you just saved back in AUM. In my case for Autony-instance 1: Clock Unit, Reliability, Quantity and Seq Length were back to their default values (so NOT saved) and for Autony-instance 2: ALL properties weren't saved (and back to their default values), except for Transpose.

• @Harro said:
    It was easy for me to reproduce this properties-saving-bug: load 2 instances of Autony in a midi lane in AUM, change all properties in the 2 Autony-instances and save this simple setup as an AUM-preset. Clear AUM and load the preset you just saved back in AUM. In my case for Autony-instance 1: Clock Unit, Reliability, Quantity and Seq Length were back to their default values (so NOT saved) and for Autony-instance 2: ALL properties weren't saved (and back to their default values), except for Transpose.

I've watched the video! That exact same sequence is working perfectly for me......

SO I'm scratching my head - best guess is that something is clashing with it - perhaps older instances - there was an issue with those parameters in one of the releases - long since fixed. (but I've run all the releases and more so that's still odd). Am keeping trying - I know this is frustrating - the second I figure out how to make it do it I can make a fix and get it pushed

• ok I managed to make it do something similar on my phone (which I don't normally use for development).

I think it might actually loading them but not updating the knob values (well it does sometimes, it's a race condition kind of thing) - I've put in a fix for that which I'm pushing now. When you get the update (they normally approve it during the night UK time after I push it so later this evening) can you see if it has made things different/better please @Eye0sStudios @ocelot @Harro

• @pagefall said:
    well it does sometimes, it's a race condition kind of thing

I'm sure most readers will think that there's a hidden Formula 1 Simulator inside your AUv3 now 😉

• @SevenSystems said:

@pagefall said:
    well it does sometimes, it's a race condition kind of thing

I'm sure most readers will think that there's a hidden Formula 1 Simulator inside your AUv3 now 😉

ha ha - oddly enough, a long time ago, I used to work for an F1 team - where I first learned real time stuff......

• Thanks!
    For me, the state-saving issue doesn't occur every single time, but almost every single time.
    It seems to only affect the displayed knob position, but not it's actual setting/value.
    I deleted Autony, rebooted, installed it, created a new AUM session from scratch, same issue.
    Cality appears to not have this issue.
    Hope you get it fixed!

@pagefall said:
    ok I managed to make it do something similar on my phone (which I don't normally use for development).

I think it might actually loading them but not updating the knob values (well it does sometimes, it's a race condition kind of thing) - I've put in a fix for that which I'm pushing now. When you get the update (they normally approve it during the night UK time after I push it so later this evening) can you see if it has made things different/better please @Eye0sStudios @ocelot @Harro

• @pagefall said:
    ok I managed to make it do something similar on my phone (which I don't normally use for development).

I think it might actually loading them but not updating the knob values (well it does sometimes, it's a race condition kind of thing) - I've put in a fix for that which I'm pushing now. When you get the update (they normally approve it during the night UK time after I push it so later this evening) can you see if it has made things different/better please @Eye0sStudios

@pagefall it appears to be working now with latest update. I have done a few tests and it’s saving now. Thank you for all your hard work.

• @Eye0sStudios said:

@pagefall said:

I think it might actually loading them but not updating the knob values (well it does sometimes, it's a race condition kind of thing) - I've put in a fix for that which I'm pushing now. When you get the update (they normally approve it during the night UK time after I push it so later this evening) can you see if it has made things different/better please @Eye0sStudios

@pagefall it appears to be working now with latest update. I have done a few tests and it’s saving now. Thank you for all your hard work.

Thank you also.

• Ahem...thank you @pagefall for your update. There is still however a little problem on my iphone. When in portrait mode, the generate and the gate length buttons are not working. Turning the iphone in landscape solve the issue...

• @cuscolima said:
    Ahem...thank you @pagefall for your update. There is still however a little problem on my iphone. When in portrait mode, the generate and the gate length buttons are not working. Turning the iphone in landscape solve the issue...

What the????? How is that even a thing? Seriously there is no code to do with the orientation in my codebase....

HOWEVER: yes I can reproduce that - will have a look tomorrow now :-)

• Thank you for fixing the state-saving issue! Love Autony + Cality, must-have Midi apps for me.
    IMO, Those 2 are the closest on iOS to the Turing Machine + expanders in Eurorack.

• Just bought Autony... an earlier post showed a MIDI IN page with CC controls to modulate the Autony parameters from something like Rozeta LFO.
    Where are they? In AUM I load Autony as an AU but only see a MIDI Out channel in the MIDI panel. Same in Cubasis 2.

I prefer to use Cubasis and assumed I would load Rozeta LFO in Midi insert 1, then Autony in slot 2 to receive the CC ‘oscillator ‘.

What am I missing? Besides a MIDI in page...

Thanks

• In AUM, they got moved to the host AU automation area. It is the Midi Control panel that you normally use to automate AU parameters in AUM. More consistent now.

In Cubasis, I am not sure if you can automate AU midi apps. I can only figure how to automate an AU app loaded as the Midi Track’s Instrument.

• @ltf3 said:
    Just bought Autony... an earlier post showed a MIDI IN page with CC controls to modulate the Autony parameters from something like Rozeta LFO.
    Where are they? In AUM I load Autony as an AU but only see a MIDI Out channel in the MIDI panel. Same in Cubasis 2.

I prefer to use Cubasis and assumed I would load Rozeta LFO in Midi insert 1, then Autony in slot 2 to receive the CC ‘oscillator ‘.

What am I missing? Besides a MIDI in page...

Thanks

Yeah - like @CracklePot says - I moved the automation to proper AUv3 automation like other apps (which is much better)

Unfortunately the two different options aren't really compatible because if the app manages its own automation then the host doesn't get the information it requires. I hadn't realised that Cubasis doesn't support it though

How much of an issue is this for people? I could possibly make it switchable? might be confusing though?

• Ah ha! Thanks to you both for the nudge... got it working in AUM. So fun and cool!

In regards to Cubasis, being an old bloke I’m more comfortable in a DAW environment so I’d like to be able to automate AU midi plug ins but I understand if it’s a limitation in Cubasis. They have some posts about AU automation here ...
    https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=127027
    but I don’t know that it will be helpful.

Certainly any accommodations you can make for DAW users would be appreciated but I’ll also do my part and look more closely at a DAW-less approach.

Thanks for Autony and Cality I enjoy then both!

• Regarding truth in labeling:

Unlike Cality, it appears as AUv3: Instrument (with noop audio output) in apeMatrix and not as AUv3: MIDI.

Here's a suggestion lifted from ChordPadX. Label the existing plugin AutonyAU (legacy) (PAGE) / AUv3: Instrument and register a second plugin for the same app labeled AutonyAU (MIDI only) (PAGE) / AUv3: MIDI