Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Aphelian - interesting new app coming next month

Comments

• @gusgranite said:

@robosardine said:

@gusgranite said:
    Not sure I fully understand what this app does?

It’s a Groovebox with 4 synths and a drum machine with parameter automation. The notes play in sequence on a track predetermined by yourself (like a hot wheels loop) each time the car passes over the note it plays and eventually completes the loop then starts over. You can bend/ twist/adjust/add to each of your tracks at will to change the order and sounds. Your cars will never fall off. The fun part is interweaving all your tracks under and over and around one another and watching and listening to it all go round.

So it’s like a step sequencer with circular visuals instead of steps? Plus other tricks by the sound of it. I can dig it!

Right. Full synth engine too. Just went back and watched the vids. Looks like fun!

• @robosardine said:

@gusgranite said:

It’s a Groovebox with 4 synths and a drum machine with parameter automation. The notes play in sequence on a track predetermined by yourself (like a hot wheels loop) each time the car passes over the note it plays and eventually completes the loop then starts over. You can bend/ twist/adjust/add to each of your tracks at will to change the order and sounds. Your cars will never fall off. The fun part is interweaving all your tracks under and over and around one another and watching and listening to it all go round.

Yes! At the end it's an alternative interface to a 4 track arpeggiator, with 4 integrated synths. The event timeline is wrapped around the perimeter of a customizable geometrical shape, and the notes are deployed in a customizable plane, that resides under the shape. When an event starts, it reads the note below.

I think that is a tool to navigate and explore melodies. It was surprising to find that some classic riffs have a strong geometrical foundation.

• @JuanB thanks for developing this app and really looking forward to using it this next week. I’m glad you’re planning to eventually add AU support too.

• @JuanB said:

@robosardine said:

@gusgranite said:

Yes! At the end it's an alternative interface to a 4 track arpeggiator, with 4 integrated synths. The event timeline is wrapped around the perimeter of a customizable geometrical shape, and the notes are deployed in a customizable plane, that resides under the shape. When an event starts, it reads the note below.

I think that is a tool to navigate and explore melodies. It was surprising to find that some classic riffs have a strong geometrical foundation.

Thanks for the explanation. And to be fair, I can see why AU is a later consideration with this app. It probably sits more in the standalone groovebox territory with Gestrument Pro, GR-16, Werkbench, etc..

Good luck!

• edited December 2018

I’ve been waiting on this and $10 was about what I’d hoped to spend as a launch sale, so I’m preordering. It looks like a lot of fun and especially useful if you’re more visually oriented.

In the meantime, I was playing with Oscilab again this morning and could figure out how to keep the automation of fx going when you leave that page. Seems those circular fx spins would keep spinning after they’re locked down when you click back to the main interface page.

Is that possible?

• @JuanB
    Excellent job you’ve done here. App looks great.
    I have pre-ordered as well.
    :)

• Looks great!
    Gonna wait until launch for the midi capabilities.

• @skiphunt said:
    I’ve been waiting on this and $10 was about what I’d hoped to spend as a launch sale, so I’m preordering. It looks like a lot of fun and especially useful if you’re more visually oriented.

In the meantime, I was playing with Oscilab again this morning and could figure out how to keep the automation of fx going when you leave that page. Seems those circular fx spins would keep spinning after they’re locked down when you click back to the main interface page.

Is that possible?

Do you mean the XY grids? If so, you can tap on the locks for individual grids or for all of them then it will hold.

• edited December 2018

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

Is that possible?

Do you mean the XY grids? If so, you can tap on the locks for individual grids or for all of them then it will hold.

Thanks. Yes, I know how the locks work, but It doesn’t hold when I leave the x/y grid page. If I return to the xy page they pick up where they left off, but stop as soon as I leave that page. In other words...the automation doesn’t continue in the background. Only when I’m on that page. Is that the only way it works?

• @skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

Is that possible?

Thanks. Yes, I know how the locks work, but It doesn’t hold when I leave the x/y grid page. If I return to the xy page they pick up where they left off, but stop as soon as I leave that page. In other words...the automation doesn’t continue in the background. Only when I’m on that page. Is that the only way it works?

As near as I can tell the effects on the XY grids only work while you’re on the XY grids page. If you have the locks on they come back in when you switch back.

It’s hard to tell what you want sometimes without a screenshot.

• @InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

Is that possible?

As near as I can tell the effects on the XY grids only work while you’re on the XY grids page. If you have the locks on they come back in when you switch back.

Was hoping they’d keep working even when you’re not on the xy page. Seems like it used to do that, but I haven’t played with it in awhile.

• @skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

Is that possible?

Was hoping they’d keep working even when you’re not on the xy page. Seems like it used to do that, but I haven’t played with it in awhile.

When I turn on the XY pad and lock it while it is spinning around, it does stay automated when I switch back and forth between screens. Yours resets?
    It will stay locked in place too. I can even quit the app, and when I reopen it, they are still in place where I left them.

• edited December 2018

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

Is that possible?

When I turn on the XY pad and lock it while it is spinning around, it does stay automated when I switch back and forth between screens. Yours resets?
    It will stay locked in place too. I can even quit the app, and when I reopen it, they are still in place where I left them.

After I set the circular automation & lock an xy pad... and then switch to the main interface screen, I no longer hear the automation effects. If I then go back to the xy page, it’s rotating again, still locked where I left it. It doesn’t continue working in the background when I click away from the xy grid.

Maybe that’s just the way it’s supposed to work, but it seems like it’d keep spinning in the background once it’s locked, even if you’re not on the xy page.

• @Mayo said:
    Looks great!

Just to be sure you know it already HAS MIDI ?

• @skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

Is that possible?

After I set the circular automation & lock an xy pad... and then switch to the main interface screen, I no longer hear the automation effects. If I then go back to the xy page, it’s rotating again, still locked where I left it. It doesn’t continue working in the background when I click away from the xy grid.

Maybe that’s just the way it’s supposed to work, but it seems like it’d keep spinning in the background once it’s locked, even if you’re not on the xy page.

Ah, I see what you mean.
    I suppose it makes sense, if you look at the pads as overrides for the freq and filter waves.
    On the main screen, it uses the waves, and on the pads screen it uses the pads instead, if they are activated.

• In the meantime, I was playing with Oscilab again this morning and could figure out how to keep the automation of fx going when you leave that page. Seems those circular fx spins would keep spinning after they’re locked down when you click back to the main interface page.

Is that possible?

Unfortunately it isn't possible. This was an idea added at the end of the Oscilab project. The orbital motion in the X/Y pads is controlled by the GUI thread, so the code is no longer executed when the app is in background.

Aphelian has a much more robust architecture, all the GUI behavior is processed in the audio thread and sent to the GUI via messages, so all the configuration stays the same when you leave the app in background.

• @audiblevideo said:

@Mayo said:
    Looks great!

Just to be sure you know it already HAS MIDI ?

Yes!
    Each track can send midi NOTE ON/OFF and Control Change messages based on the X/Y position of the planets and moons.

• Each track can send midi NOTE ON/OFF and Control Change messages based on the X/Y position of the planets and moons.
    :#

• @JuanB said:

Is that possible?

Unfortunately it isn't possible. This was an idea added at the end of the Oscilab project. The orbital motion in the X/Y pads is controlled by the GUI thread, so the code is no longer executed when the app is in background.

Aphelian has a much more robust architecture, all the GUI behavior is processed in the audio thread and sent to the GUI via messages, so all the configuration stays the same when you leave the app in background.

Ok. No biggy. Works out fine as is. I’m just revisiting Oscilab while I wait on my pre-ordered Aphelian install. :)

Also, I hope you continue to maintain Oscilab too. I like to revisit it every now and then and always end up with something I like from it.

• Aphelian - new monster app coming to a planet near you VERY SOON :)

• @JuanB said:
    We are planning many updates, like AUv3 support, that should be added soon.

I want to use Aphelian as midi generator inside AUM or other AU hosts, so my hope is that you plan to implement Aphelian as Midi AUv3 with fullscreen support instead of hosting AUs to complement your internal synth (which also could be meant by „AUv3 support“ but is a different direction of development)

• If the app sends out midi CC for the patterns, I imagine myself using this as 4 extravagant LFOs for External Synths/Hardware.

• Does anyone know the release price? I see it’s 9.99 pre sale price in uk

• Im pre-ordering. This looks awesome and Im a sucker for sequencers. Oscilab was a blast, very stable and my (possibly THE) first cool iphone sequencers. I feel OK trusting these guys, its like buying a round of coffees for them!!!! There you go @JuanB I think you guys deserve it.

The idea of the moons of the planets controlling Midi CC, cummon, thats Keplatastic.
    I reminds me of different drummer when I first saw it, I think its got that depth aswell. I hope its going to be in that ball park but probably at little easier to understand. Heres hoping!

• @SpookyZoo said:
    If the app sends out midi CC for the patterns, I imagine myself using this as 4 extravagant LFOs for External Synths/Hardware.

Yes it does multiple CC’s as well :)

• edited December 2018

@Trueyorky said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    If the app sends out midi CC for the patterns, I imagine myself using this as 4 extravagant LFOs for External Synths/Hardware.

Yes it does multiple CC’s as well :)

Oh and the real fun begins when we control the path of each planet with our fingers - totally interactive !!

This...

• @JuanB said:

Does Aphelian have anything like the scenes in Oscilab?
    That was a good way of creating composition changes.

• what is th release date?

• @eross said:
    what is th release date?

Jan 4th

• Au midi sounds amazing!
    I think this would Make it for me an awesome addition to the arsenal