Audiobus: Your virtual music studio.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Aphelian - interesting new app coming next month

245678

Comments

  • This video explains how the sequencer works:

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=1IfRDjx6wuc

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What if you added a further Lissajous to gate the ‘flow’ parameter on and off (and not necessarily following the same length as the run of notes that it is flow-gating)?

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you Dawdles!

    Each node has a main shape to control note on/off events, and could be used to send CC too. Then you have to shapes more per channel to control more CC messages (they are the moons of the planet)

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @u0421793 said:
    What if you added a further Lissajous to gate the ‘flow’ parameter on and off (and not necessarily following the same length as the run of notes that it is flow-gating)?

    Sounds interesting!
    Thanks for the feedback!

  • @JuanB said:
    This video explains how the sequencer works:

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=1IfRDjx6wuc

    Thanks, this totally changes my perception of the app. I guess you have to be careful with your promo to target both surface surfers and bonnet dwellers.

    I know in my user case I'm always mindful of graphics using valuable processing resources other than not being into flashy light shows anyway.

    I think the idea of it as a controller is not a bad one but I bet many of us would also like a solid synth engine within the app for simplicity of use.

    Looking forward to the release.

  • edited October 2018

    @supadom said:
    I think the idea of it as a controller is not a bad one but I bet many of us would also like a solid synth engine within the app for simplicity of use.

    Hi! We build a synth inside to offer a complete UX within the app.
    This is the internal synth engine:

    All the parameters can be controlled via planets and moons. The modulation capabilities are very powerful.

    For a more complete view: http://aphelian.io

  • @JuanB said:

    @supadom said:
    I think the idea of it as a controller is not a bad one but I bet many of us would also like a solid synth engine within the app for simplicity of use.

    Hi! We build a synth inside to offer a complete UX within the app.
    This is the internal synth engine:

    All the parameters can be controlled via planets and moons. The modulation capabilities are very powerful.

    For a more complete view: http://aphelian.io

    That looks a capable synth. Decided on a rough price range yet?

  • edited October 2018

    Nice indeed! I can’t wait to try this. Any chance it will have a separate IAA/AB audio out for each orbit, for live multitrack recording?

  • @anb said:
    Hey! One of the devs here.

    The app is going to support

    • Midi Out
    • Audiobus & Audiobus State
    • IAA
    • Link

    We are working hard to iron out the last details of the app.

    Glad to see all the feedback!

    Sold. Looks like a brilliant evolution of the Oscilab concept.

  • edited October 2018

    @JuanB This screams for spatalization, https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29183/lets-talk-about-spatalization/p1 doesn't it? Kepler would agree I think ;)

    Not easy to implement I guess but your UI seems to have room for that, sounds coming from a certain point. Maybe for a future upgrade?

    Looked for hooks within the AR Kit: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/creating_an_immersive_ar_experience_with_audio

  • Demo vids show much promise, upping my expectations (especially as it’s coming from the Oscilab guys). Option for a plain UI mode good to hear.

  • @JuanB said:
    Hi! I’m Juan from the Aphelian Team.
    Thank you very much for the feedback!

    The app works with Audiobus, IIA, LINK, and has MIDI out (including control change messages generated from the position of the planets and moons, to control continual parameters).

    Our main focus was to build a highly programmable sequencer controlled by shapes. There are no restrictions related to the event position/length, time signature, etc. Is like any loop sequencer but with the timeline rolled into a shape, and with a cursor that is travelling over a customizable note map that defines frequency of the events. The shape edition is very flexible too.

    The app comes with an internal synthesizer and a basic drum machine, with the purpose of start making noises out of the box. We expected that the advance user will use it mainly as a controller of other synths. There are lots of incredible apps in the ecosystem, and our goal was to build a new type of sequencer to use with them.

    The visual seasoning is configurable too. I like the psi-fi tube with event trails when I’m looking for an hypnotic kind of jam. Other times, using the app as a riff finder dial, I prefer the plain mode.

    Yes, the app is related with Oscilab! The team is a spin off of the Oscilab team.

    All the feedback and opinions are very welcome. Thanks!

    I think visuals are great if they are more than just a gimick. Your app seems like it's going to be lots of fun. New approaches are always a welcome thing in my book. Just two questions: One is there a mailing list so I can be reminded when to go download it and 2 are you doing any preorders....oh and 3, what will be the cost?

  • edited October 2018

    @JuanB said:

    Which way is music production going these days? Generative music? Granular? This doesn't make sense to me either as it is totally unpredictable what sounds it would produce with what gestures. Anyone could make any gestures, produce some unpredictable noises and call it music. It is analogous to contemporary art - splash some random colors on a canvas and call it art! Absurd.

    In the case of this app, there is no random unpredictable output, and it is not a generative tool either.

    It is an event oriented sequencer: you draw events, you define notes. When you get used to the shape-timeline metaphor, the changes are very predictable and you can guide the app to get where you want.

    I’m very interested in all kinds of new and innovative approaches, especially those with an artful approach to GUI design.

    Count me as stoked about this one! :)

  • Yep looking like this could be quite fun, especially with midi out.

  • @Shabudua said:
    Nice indeed! I can’t wait to try this. Any chance it will have a separate IAA/AB audio out for each orbit, for live multitrack recording?

    Yes! Our plan is to continue improving the app after the release.
    AUv3 and separate IAA/AB channels are things that we have in mind.

  • Sold. Looks like a brilliant evolution of the Oscilab concept.

    Thank you very much!!

  • @bert said:
    @JuanB This screams for spatalization, https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29183/lets-talk-about-spatalization/p1 doesn't it? Kepler would agree I think ;)

    Yes!!!!
    I totally agree.
    We are a very small team (2 programmers, 1 designer) and we leave a lot of ideas outside for practical reasons, spatialization is one of them.
    It's a very interesting vector to explore in the future.

    Thanks for the feedback!

  • @skiphunt said:
    I’m very interested in all kinds of new and innovative approaches, especially those with an artful approach to GUI design.

    Thank you!

    We have been working for the last 3 years in Aphelian, trying to create a tool that could offer a geometrical approach to sequencing, but without leaving the user trapped in arbitrary restrictions. It was a big UX design challenge, and I'm very happy with the result, I think that we built a useful tool.

    I'm very happy to read your feedback, thanks!

  • @anb and @JuanB
    Really really looking forward to this, don’t want to wait, counting the days

  • @Littlewoodg said:
    @anb and @JuanB
    Really really looking forward to this, don’t want to wait, counting the days

    Metoo ;) Can't wait to purchase it.

  • anbanb
    edited October 2018

    @bedheadproducer and anyone interested: we've added a subscribe form to our site (right under the social media icons).

    We are working hard to make the release! Thanks for the good vibes

    Cheers

  • @JuanB said:

    @skiphunt said:
    I’m very interested in all kinds of new and innovative approaches, especially those with an artful approach to GUI design.

    Thank you!

    We have been working for the last 3 years in Aphelian, trying to create a tool that could offer a geometrical approach to sequencing, but without leaving the user trapped in arbitrary restrictions. It was a big UX design challenge, and I'm very happy with the result, I think that we built a useful tool.

    I'm very happy to read your feedback, thanks!

    Hey it would be nice to use this as an AUv3 plug in a host like Cubasis to play prerecorded MIDI notes on a track without the apps internal sequencer. Like a regular synth also MIDI out would be a great second prize.

  • Looks really interesting. Any idea of a release date?

  • @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Looks really interesting. Any idea of a release date?

    Their website lists November 20, 2018.

  • edited November 2018

    Wow!
    ANOTHER great sequencing app :o
    No traditional beatbox/boring timeline - gotta love that!
    Midi out = Count me in

    @anb Pleaze have LOTS of scales to choose from

    • if it is just the usual minor/major then I will probably pass on reaching for it as a flexible creative starting point

    Oh - will it have some sort of swing?

  • Just watched both vids again - this is a total performance playground winner :)

  • There’s a lot of people getting a good Aphelian about this release.

Sign In or Register to comment.