Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Aphelian - interesting new app coming next month

Check this and their tutorial videos, it looks like it’s got a lot of potential. I don’t even mind the graphics, I think an app of this nature really needs to go beyond the flat 2D stuff that is so popular these days.

I’ve invited the developers to check out the forum.

Comments

• Looks like an instrument from Startrek TOS. Cool!

• Definitely Klingon tech.

• It has a bit of a TC-11 feel to it but very musical because of the parameters you’re working within. Full control of 4 synths sure opens up a lot of possibilities.

• Looks like a lot of depth. I’m presold

• Something about the concept, interface, and style of this reminds me of Oscilab, somehow. I wonder if any of the same people are involved.

• Oh my...
    Take my money!!

• I gotta be honest, this looks absolutely ridiculous. All those gorgeous visuals, complicated rune looking icons, flashing lights, and the music coming out of it? To put it lightly it didn’t blow my hair back. I’m all for the marriage of visuals and sounds for a smoother music experience, but this looks like sheer style over substance. Appears to be the same kind of semi generative, semi user programmable bleep bloop sequencer we’ve seen countless times this time with more animations. Sorry for the rant, but it’s sad to see talent go to waste. How much time was spent on the sound engine versus the visuals and animations? Ugh sorry I’ll stop now.

• I also see a lot of potential here. Looking forward to it.

• RJBRJB
    edited October 2018

@zpxlng said:
    Something about the concept, interface, and style of this reminds me of Oscilab, somehow. I wonder if any of the same people are involved.

Just had a look at Doug’s demo of Oscilab and I see what you mean about similar concepts, I think they both look like great fun .
    Aphelian looks like a new company out of Argentina. Can’t find any info on Oscilab and their website seems down

Edit: Found them them on Facebook and yes it is the same people from Osilab

• It’s bordering on a Jordan Rudess app level of unnecessary bling but could be fun if more than blipping and blopping can be coaxed from it.

Agree with the Oscilab vibe.

• That’s an amazing progression from Oscilab. Instead of periodic rhythmic sampling of an additive product of three 2D waveforms, which Oscilab does, here’s four orbits (like in Animoog) and the sampling occurs on the intersections across orbits. The synth front panel also looks a lot more comprehensive (Oscilab’s synth couldn’t be any simpler). This looks good – also very performance oriented.

• Proper old school iPad action there. If it has all the usual connectivity and isn’t a silly price I’ll probably get it. Not keen on the sound though.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:
    Looks cool. Lot of performance/improv angles. Hopefully has midi out..

I think it might.

Watched the tutorials and there’s quite a bit of depth to this one, including a synth/midi edit section. If this does midi out it’ll be a fun thing to have.

• edited October 2018

Initially sceptical but by the end of the video it looks as though it has a lot of functionality. If it has full midi out and Link, I'll probably get it at some point.

Yeah hope they add Audiobus etc too. My hunch is that it's made with Unity, like Soniface which means that's not necessarily happening easily.

• @Carnbot said:
    Initially sceptical but by the end of the video it looks as though it has a lot of functionality. If it has full midi out and Link, I'll probably get it at some point.

Yeah hope they add Audiobus etc too. My hunch is that it's made with Unity, like Soniface which means that's not necessarily happening easily.

Should be ideal for making music live in a VR space if it could work in VR eyephones.

• edited October 2018

Looks interesting
    Blippity bloop blip,
    Blippity blop,
    blipity bloop blip,
    blippity blop....
    .LOL!

• Looks good to me. I wonder how much it will cost? Looking forward to putting it through Turnado 🤪

• Reminds me most of Different Drummer and Oscilab ... Definitely looks interesting.

This type of app always excites me, as they're great for bringing out the happy accidents, sending you in a direction you wouldn't have likely gone via traditional sequencing.

• @Dawdles said:

@oldschoolwillie said:
    Looks interesting
    Blippity bloop blip,
    Blippity blop,
    blipity bloop blip,
    blippity blop....
    .LOL!

Need to imagine using the modulation/expression functions for your own music ;) 99% of demo videos suck...
    Hard to tell from only the video but looks like a mega XY-pad/animoog orbit hybrid type thing with tons of preset shapes/orbits etc. Could be an amazing organic LFO bank performace tool if it has decent midi out etc...

Yes I am very interested to see what it can do in the right hands I hope it will have Audiobus
    IAA or something..........we shall see.

• @u0421793 said:

@Carnbot said:

Should be ideal for making music live in a VR space if it could work in VR eyephones.

Yep, quite a lot of that sort of thing going on in Goldsmiths down the road.

• edited October 2018

I applaud the new attempt at actually using the screen as a playable surface instead of old gear emulations but definitely way over the top graphics. Seems looks over substance? Hope I’m wrong. I hope the bling can be turned off in favour of sector-like simplicity.

• Hey! One of the devs here.

The app is going to support

• Midi Out
    • Audiobus & Audiobus State
    • IAA
    • Link

We are working hard to iron out the last details of the app.

Glad to see all the feedback!

• @db909 said:
    I gotta be honest, this looks absolutely ridiculous. All those gorgeous visuals, complicated rune looking icons, flashing lights, and the music coming out of it? To put it lightly it didn’t blow my hair back. I’m all for the marriage of visuals and sounds for a smoother music experience, but this looks like sheer style over substance. Appears to be the same kind of semi generative, semi user programmable bleep bloop sequencer we’ve seen countless times this time with more animations. Sorry for the rant, but it’s sad to see talent go to waste. How much time was spent on the sound engine versus the visuals and animations? Ugh sorry I’ll stop now.

Which way is music production going these days? Generative music? Granular? This doesn't make sense to me either as it is totally unpredictable what sounds it would produce with what gestures. Anyone could make any gestures, produce some unpredictable noises and call it music. It is analogous to contemporary art - splash some random colors on a canvas and call it art! Absurd.

• Hi! I’m Juan from the Aphelian Team.
    Thank you very much for the feedback!

The app works with Audiobus, IIA, LINK, and has MIDI out (including control change messages generated from the position of the planets and moons, to control continual parameters).

Our main focus was to build a highly programmable sequencer controlled by shapes. There are no restrictions related to the event position/length, time signature, etc. Is like any loop sequencer but with the timeline rolled into a shape, and with a cursor that is travelling over a customizable note map that defines frequency of the events. The shape edition is very flexible too.

The app comes with an internal synthesizer and a basic drum machine, with the purpose of start making noises out of the box. We expected that the advance user will use it mainly as a controller of other synths. There are lots of incredible apps in the ecosystem, and our goal was to build a new type of sequencer to use with them.

The visual seasoning is configurable too. I like the psi-fi tube with event trails when I’m looking for an hypnotic kind of jam. Other times, using the app as a riff finder dial, I prefer the plain mode.

Yes, the app is related with Oscilab! The team is a spin off of the Oscilab team.

All the feedback and opinions are very welcome. Thanks!

• Which way is music production going these days? Generative music? Granular? This doesn't make sense to me either as it is totally unpredictable what sounds it would produce with what gestures. Anyone could make any gestures, produce some unpredictable noises and call it music. It is analogous to contemporary art - splash some random colors on a canvas and call it art! Absurd.

In the case of this app, there is no random unpredictable output, and it is not a generative tool either.

It is an event oriented sequencer: you draw events, you define notes. When you get used to the shape-timeline metaphor, the changes are very predictable and you can guide the app to get where you want.