Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

D-1 Hybrid Synth from the AudioKit Team.

Comments

• edited October 2018

@[Deleted User] said:

@Cib said:

@analog_matt said:
    Good questions. This synth doesn't have micro-tuning or MPE. Maybe if I get a Roli Seaboard for Christmas, we can investigate MPE more.

The next AudioKit synth (a more analog-ish bass synth) will have PWM. The D1 sound works nicely with its current configuration.

The dice picks random presets. Which is something that people may use a lot with the 100s of awesome presets. There's some hidden gems buried in there.

@lovadamusic said:

@Turntablist said:
    I rarely buy any synths on IOS, $4.99 for something i don't want is more costly than $99 for something i will actually use for me personally.

By Rompler i mean the older Romplers like JV series, not the newer workstations, they hold little interest for me because i have Kontakt, i want something small footprint with a lot of bread and butter sounds.

I'd be surprised if anyone pays 10 cents for something they don't want and won't use. :) I think the point was that there are not enough people on iOS willing to pay the price of production for higher cost apps, and that's the reason we don't see them. We see users asking for this and that, and making sure developers know what they won't buy, but until the iOS market is willing to spend more on an app, or production costs go way down, the power of their persuasion is limited.

I wonder if that is really the case and they did a market research or something.
    I mean all these „small“ synths add up and the thing is we have already a million of it.
    I would pay more for sure for the right tools.
    Still waiting for new aproach in physical modeling or want to see more innovative synths like VPS (vector phase shaping) at audio rate etc.
    But in general i think that workstations which are multi-timbral are even more important on iOS until DAW‘s are not able to replace them which is mostly the case for me on mac and i prefer to copy an instance mostly instead of using a 16 part multi which overload my cpu.
    I would pay for sure 200-300 for a full blown Omnisphere for iOS or the same for Logic on iOS as the mac version costs. I also woud pay happily 150-200 for good sample libraries which not exist on iOS instead pay the same for something like iSymphonic or Gadget with all the IAP.
    It‘s a trap >:)
    However, if the people are not willing to pay more and like to collect 1000‘s of tiny apps instead of a few more expensive tools they are the wrong market.
    But there must be a reason that a lot iOS developers makes so much little apps in short time compare to even some bigger companies. But i choose quality over quantidy.
    And of course prople want proper demo. A reason i bought 99% less apps in the last year.

People won’t pay much for apps on iOS including myself, just how the market is.

Maybe, because of that i´m still for a pro app store where people can find the tools they want and willing to pay the right price for it.
    And actually people sometimes pay already more for less...
    However, i think D-1 will be a great thing and a very good value of course as well for most people.

• I buy the cheap apps (if they seem to be good) because I can afford them. I don’t buy the expensive ones because I can’t afford them. It’s that simple. I doubt I’m atypical.

• Pricing for software and other virtual products is a funny thing as there is no unit cost, and the lower you price things, the more sales you are likely to make. The income from 10 sales at $1000 is the same as 1000 sales at $10, but the latter puts your tool in many more hands and increases the likelihood of viral sales (plus the satisfaction that your work is being used by lots of prople). I think the main issue with IOS is not the low initial prices, but how to monetise it after that - we have developed an expectation of unlimited lifetime support and development for one initial payment, which is unrealistic for developers.

• @Cib said:

@analog_matt said:
    Good questions. This synth doesn't have micro-tuning or MPE. Maybe if I get a Roli Seaboard for Christmas, we can investigate MPE more.

The next AudioKit synth (a more analog-ish bass synth) will have PWM. The D1 sound works nicely with its current configuration.

The dice picks random presets. Which is something that people may use a lot with the 100s of awesome presets. There's some hidden gems buried in there.

@lovadamusic said:

@Turntablist said:
    I rarely buy any synths on IOS, $4.99 for something i don't want is more costly than $99 for something i will actually use for me personally.

By Rompler i mean the older Romplers like JV series, not the newer workstations, they hold little interest for me because i have Kontakt, i want something small footprint with a lot of bread and butter sounds.

I'd be surprised if anyone pays 10 cents for something they don't want and won't use. :) I think the point was that there are not enough people on iOS willing to pay the price of production for higher cost apps, and that's the reason we don't see them. We see users asking for this and that, and making sure developers know what they won't buy, but until the iOS market is willing to spend more on an app, or production costs go way down, the power of their persuasion is limited.

I wonder if that is really the case and they did a market research or something.
    I mean all these „small“ synths add up and the thing is we have already a million of it.
    I would pay more for sure for the right tools.
    Still waiting for new aproach in physical modeling or want to see more innovative synths like VPS (vector phase shaping) at audio rate etc.
    But in general i think that workstations which are multi-timbral are even more important on iOS until DAW‘s are not able to replace them which is mostly the case for me on mac and i prefer to copy an instance mostly instead of using a 16 part multi which overload my cpu.
    I would pay for sure 200-300 for a full blown Omnisphere for iOS or the same for Logic on iOS as the mac version costs. I also woud pay happily 150-200 for good sample libraries which not exist on iOS instead pay the same for something like iSymphonic or Gadget with all the IAP.
    It‘s a trap >:)
    However, if the people are not willing to pay more and like to collect 1000‘s of tiny apps instead of a few more expensive tools they are the wrong market.
    But there must be a reason that a lot iOS developers makes so much little apps in short time compare to even some bigger companies. But i choose quality over quantidy.
    And of course prople want proper demo. A reason i bought 99% less apps in the last year.

I don’t see this new D-1 synth or many others as lacking quality. I like the many options to play with on my iPad and, in total, it’s quite a sound palette to jam with, sketch ideas, and to use as an external sound module for desktop. I find the prices for these apps to be a great deal.

Other than what’s discussed here, I don’t know the iOS music-making market at large. My sense of it is that the majority of users are not making a significant living with iOS devices, and so shelling out a desktop price for a single app has never been considered a justifiable purchase for most people. There’s also been the question of whether iOS is a solid enough platform, or the device adequate physically, to justify a much larger investment in an app. We can’t equate paying $300 for one big app one time to paying $300 for 30 small apps over the course of months or years. In many ways, I think the market for iOS music-making apps is the game market for musicians. We’re always looking for a new one to play with and, for a few shekels, for many it’s a painless purchase.

• Hardware and desktop software is getting cheaper and more accessible year after year.
    iOS is simply not designed for professional use. We all bought 100s of apps over years, but we only use 10-20 regularly. The rest is there for fun and many deleted.
    Higher prices would probably mean less profit for apple as it goes against the 'buy without thinking about the costs' philosophy. A lot would have to change before significant jump in prices could be justified. And we (and the photo/video guys) represent a very small share, so it's unlikely to change.

• @PhilW said:
    Pricing for software and other virtual products is a funny thing as there is no unit cost, and the lower you price things, the more sales you are likely to make. The income from 10 sales at $1000 is the same as 1000 sales at $10, but the latter puts your tool in many more hands and increases the likelihood of viral sales (plus the satisfaction that your work is being used by lots of prople). I think the main issue with IOS is not the low initial prices, but how to monetise it after that - we have developed an expectation of unlimited lifetime support and development for one initial payment, which is unrealistic for developers.

As an example, I paid 1 dollar (!) for AniMoog back in 2011, and still got FREE (!) updates? Crazy!!

• @recccp said:
    Hardware and desktop software is getting cheaper and more accessible year after year.
    iOS is simply not designed for professional use. We all bought 100s of apps over years, but we only use 10-20 regularly. The rest is there for fun and many deleted.
    Higher prices would probably mean less profit for apple as it goes against the 'buy without thinking about the costs' philosophy. A lot would have to change before significant jump in prices could be justified. And we (and the photo/video guys) represent a very small share, so it's unlikely to change.

I don’t see why Apple would want to discourage higher prices for some apps. The vast market for low-cost apps is always going to be there regardless. If there were enough professionals (and prosumers) ready and willing to pay 5 or 10 times more for an iOS music-making app, I assume developers would fill that demand. Yes, iOS is designed primarily for cell phones and recreation, for mass-use simplicity and security. That’s Apple’s priority, but I think in an ideal world, they’d like to see more professional apps for iOS and, in time, the platform should evolve to encourage it.

• @lovadamusic said:

@recccp said:
    Hardware and desktop software is getting cheaper and more accessible year after year.

I don’t see why Apple would want to discourage higher prices for some apps. The vast market for low-cost apps is always going to be there regardless. If there were enough professionals (and prosumers) ready and willing to pay 5 or 10 times more for an iOS music-making app, I assume developers would fill that demand. Yes, iOS is designed primarily for cell phones and recreation, for mass-use simplicity and security. That’s Apple’s priority, but I think in an ideal world, they’d like to see more professional apps for iOS and, in time, the platform should evolve to encourage it.

I think the demand is clearly there and been there for years.
    But you cannot sell to professionals with the current limitations of iOS and AppStore.
    Support, updates, file system... these all would have to change significantly to serve those customers and that simply not what this platform is about.

• @recccp said:

@lovadamusic said:

@recccp said:

But you cannot sell to professionals with the current limitations of iOS and AppStore.
    Support, updates, file system... these all would have to change significantly to serve those customers and that simply not what this platform is about.

Yes, that’s a good point about the system. It’s what works for Apple, for the products Apple is selling. It’s not an ideal world. However, if enough demand is there for the kind of big pro apps we’re talking about, I expect that demand will be met as the platform matures.

• @recccp said:

@lovadamusic said:

@recccp said:

Big problem: You sell a Pro music app for 300 US dollar, but Apple will take almost 100 of them in Appstore fee...
    After that, probsbly a lot of other taxes...
    But, on iOS we/they haven’t any choices, because Apple setting the rules on the whole community, from hardware to software development etc etc...

But I would pay a lot more if we could have more advanced and deep apps from both small and big companies...
    Just start with Logic Pro Mobile for 150 bucks (hope to see this on tuesday)...

• Can we go back to talking about D-1. Maybe those interested in talking about their theories about app economics can create a thread to discuss it.

Me? I want some more of those awesome D-1 sound bites!

• Re pro apps... we're still awaiting a pro OS for the iPad Pros!

• edited October 2018

Update: Doug Woods now has the D1 app. He said he's planning on making several videos! 🎉

"I will be on this first thing tomorrow with a nice juicy video.
    ... man it does sound and play amazing.
    ...the quality of the sound design is top notch, I don’t think I came across one patch that I didn’t like...so many video ideas."

• @analog_matt said:
    Update: Doug Woods now has the D1 app. He said he's planning on making several videos! 🎉

The beans are about to get extremely cool. :o :)

• Anyone spotted any youtube vids yet?

• edited October 2018

@Trueyorky said:

@Kühl said:

@Turntablist said:
    Yeah it would be my main sound source if it was AU.

Bismark is auv3, isn’t it?

But the Roland works brilliantly without being AU

...and it is multitimbral.

Yeah, both Bismark & Roland are multitimbral.
    There are more of them: iSymphonic, SampleTank, LayR & Sound Canvas are also multicultural

If you know of any other multi-timbrals, I’m interested in knowledge

• Is it out somewhere?
    Negative here (Germany)

• @espiegel123 said:
    Can we go back to talking about D-1. Maybe those interested in talking about their theories about app economics can create a thread to discuss it.

Me? I want some more of those awesome D-1 sound bites!

+1000

• @u0421793 said:

@gusgranite said:
    Is that randomizer dice I can see? 🤞

Maybe, maybe not

Yeah, it could be or not be, dependent on your randomised experience.
    We need a Turing machine to find out :wink:

• @analog_matt

Instant buy for me. I still have my multi-timbral Roland D-20, from 87 :)

• Wow! That was fast. Doug did a quick first look quick play teaser.

It's not online yet. But, he said I could post it here. The video is mainly pads.

BUT, he gets into Brass / Orchestra around 4:30 in:

• @analog_matt said:
    Wow! That was fast. Doug did a quick first look quick play teaser.

It's not online yet. But, he said I could post it here. The video is mainly pads.

BUT, he gets into Brass / Orchestra around 4:30 in:

Sounds amazing. A instant buy for me.

• Sounds great!
    Any news about release? 28th all day long, cmon apple...

• @brice Any chance you used Affinity Designer for the design work for D1?

• Instabuy...As soon as it's released :)
    @analog_matt does it include program change ? (almost sure it does, but maybe not on first release ?) Thanks !

• It’s Monday ... it’s not out, looks like I’m going into work then. :D

• @crony said:
    Instabuy...As soon as it's released :)
    @analog_matt does it include program change ? (almost sure it does, but maybe not on first release ?) Thanks !

Program change works the same as the PC in Synth One

• I made a quick, no talking, preview of some of the first 20 presets in D1.
    Pardon my playing.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    It’s Monday ... it’s not out, looks like I’m going into work then. :D

We'll be here when you get back, don't forget your thermos dear.

• Matt and Doug thank you for your great demos guys! This synthi is a beast! The sounds on it are awesome. I have not heard a sound patch that I don’t love so far. Matt and your sound designer team thumbs up on a top job well done here. Throwing my money at the screen now! Do keep up the amazing work! Doug-brill as always you remain the coolest bean of them all, my hats off to you in a deep curtsy like royal kind of a bow to you Sir. Thank you gents for your fine demos, ya’ll made my day! Cheers!