Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

D-1 Hybrid Synth from the AudioKit Team.

Comments

• @analog_matt said:
    No import of sounds. You're stuck with the 1,000+ wavs it comes with. I've been working on these sounds the past 3 years – Some of them are pretty good. ;)
    (Or, the additional wave forms that Brice is planning on adding in the future)

I should clarify that this is NOT a D-50 clone.
    Digital D1 is inspired by early digital synths and samplers ranging from the O1/W to Emax to JD-990. Plus, it doesn't sample any PCM/Digital synths. Instead the sounds were re-created the way they made those Digital synths in the 80s & 90s. If you're looking for that late 80s/90s tone & a unique synth engine that's a little more advanced than Synth One... Digital D1 might excite you. It has a simple workflow, but, it can sound bigger than any complex VST I've ever heard. And, it can sound super-retro. Or, it can also sound fresh & new. Mainly, it sounds friggin' awesome!

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like fresh new stuff :smiley:

• @analog_matt said:
    No import of sounds. You're stuck with the 1,000+ wavs it comes with. I've been working on these sounds the past 3 years – Some of them are pretty good. ;)
    (Or, the additional wave forms that Brice is planning on adding in the future)

I should clarify that this is NOT a D-50 clone.
    Digital D1 is inspired by early digital synths and samplers ranging from the O1/W to Emax to JD-990. Plus, it doesn't sample any PCM/Digital synths. Instead the sounds were re-created the way they made those Digital synths in the 80s & 90s. If you're looking for that late 80s/90s tone & a unique synth engine that's a little more advanced than Synth One... Digital D1 might excite you. It has a simple workflow, but, it can sound bigger than any complex VST I've ever heard. And, it can sound super-retro. Or, it can also sound fresh & new. Mainly, it sounds friggin' awesome!

Hi there, so just to clarify your new app isn’t based on the ‘Linear Arithmetic synthesis’ coined by Roland. It’s a digital synth with sample based oscillators? The inspired by D50 reference has confused me on what this is 🤔

• edited October 2018

@[Deleted User] said:
    Hi there, so just to clarify your new app isn’t based on the ‘Linear Arithmetic synthesis’ coined by Roland. It’s a digital synth with sample based oscillators? The inspired by D50 reference has confused me on what this is 🤔

Great question!

Here's the tricky bit: It's illegal for anyone but Roland to even use the phrases "Linear Arithmetic Synthesis" or "LA-Synthesis". Let alone, implement anything they deem "too close" to it in an app. They are ruthless when it comes to this.

How is it inspired? The sound and tone, and, the combining of Synth & PCM sounds. Plus, much of the sound design and sampling was inspired by Eric Persing's own work on the D-50 sound design. In fact, some sound designers think this captures more of the "vibe" of the original D-50 than the Roland Cloud version. As, much of Eric Persing's sounds were not licensed to Roland for the Cloud VST version they have available.

I've been influenced by Eric's work to create PCM sounds in the same style of his work. Sampling the same synths he sampled, etc. Stacking sounds the way he did it. Processing, re-sampling, etc. IMHO, His PCM samples are the real "secret sauce" to the magic of the D-50.

It's been an amazing and fun dream of mine to build this. I gave a presentation in Denver on a work in progress version of this synth over 2 years ago and how it was following the D-50 process of sound design. We're finally to the point with technology where I can do it justice (without violating any R patents or copyrights!)

If people like it, I'm also planning on porting it to a mac AU. As, it just sounds so epic.

• @analog_matt said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Great question!

Here's the tricky bit: It's illegal for anyone but Roland to even use the phrases "Linear Arithmetic Synthesis" or "LA-Synthesis". Let alone, implement anything they deem "too close" to it in an app. They are ruthless when it comes to this.

How is it inspired? The sound and tone, and, the combining of Synth & PCM sounds. Plus, much of the sound design and sampling was inspired by Eric Persing's own work on the D-50 sound design. In fact, some sound designers think this captures more of the "vibe" of the original D-50 than the Roland Cloud version. As, much of Eric Persing's sounds were are not licensed to Roland for the Cloud VST version they have available.

I've been influenced by Eric's work to create PCM sounds in the same style of his work. Sampling the same synths he sampled, etc. Stacking sounds the way he did it. Processing, re-sampling, etc. IMHO, His PCM samples are the real "secret sauce" to the magic of the D-50.

Besides, something new (even if it’s based on an old idea), is something to look forward to :)

• So you say it sounds „bigger“ than any VST?
    So it blows Omnisphere away and things like Roland Clouds‘s D-50 and everything else?
    Big words. Let‘s hear more of it please. Call me very interested now.

• edited October 2018

@analog_matt said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Great question!

How is it inspired? The sound and tone, and, the combining of Synth & PCM sounds. Plus, much of the sound design and sampling was inspired by Eric Persing's own work on the D-50 sound design. In fact, some sound designers think this captures more of the "vibe" of the original D-50 than the Roland Cloud version. As, much of Eric Persing's sounds were are not licensed to Roland for the Cloud VST version they have available.

It's been an amazing and fun dream of mine to build this. I gave a presentation in Denver on a work in progress version of this synth over 2 years ago and how it was following the D-50 process of sound design. We're finally to the point with technology where I can do it justice (without violating any R patents or copyrights!)

If people like it, I'm also planning on porting it to a mac AU. As, it just sounds so epic.

Thanks for the intel

• @analog_matt said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Great question!

How is it inspired? The sound and tone, and, the combining of Synth & PCM sounds. Plus, much of the sound design and sampling was inspired by Eric Persing's own work on the D-50 sound design. In fact, some sound designers think this captures more of the "vibe" of the original D-50 than the Roland Cloud version. As, much of Eric Persing's sounds were not licensed to Roland for the Cloud VST version they have available.

Mac AU....yes please. Sound design is so much more easy for me there and i love to have tools on iOS and on mac. Oh please do it (sadly i heard that too often and it mostly don’t happen).

• edited October 2018

@Cib said:
    So it blows Omnisphere away and things like Roland Clouds‘s D-50 and everything else?

It doesn't blow Omnisphere away. Eric's real D-50 samples are in there. Plus another 50 gigabytes of material. He's the master.

You can get some Omnisphere-like pad sounds out of Digital D1. For $500 less.

Pardon my hubris. But, I do think it sounds a bit more full & rich than the Roland Cloud D-50 & JD-990 for pad sounds.

• edited October 2018

@analog_matt said:

@Cib said:

It doesn't blow Omnisphere away. Eric's real D-50 samples are in there. Plus another 50 gigabytes of material. He's the master.

You can get some Omnisphere-like pad sounds out of Digital D1. For $500 less.

Pardon my hubris. But, I do think it blows the Roland Cloud D-50 & JD-990 away for pad sounds.

Hah‘ sorry. I read it blows every VST away and just was dreaming already :)
    However, just saying i‘m willing to pay more than 10 dollar for a mac version ;)
    As great as iOS can be you really can go further with automations and stuff on mac.

• edited October 2018

@Cib said:

Hahah. Sorry. Maybe a better statement would be "its sound quality can compete with expensive VSTs".

This synth is really magical because of the talented work of other people. If you hear something awesome in the synth, it's probably because of @brice or someone else. ;)

• @analog_matt Care to share any 'specs' on the synth-engine?

Sure, I can wait until Monday or so but just to wet the appetite a bit more ;)

• edited October 2018

@analog_matt said:

@Cib said:

Hahah. Sorry. Maybe a better statement would be "its sound quality can compete with expensive VSTs".

This synth is really magical because of the talented work of other people. If you hear something awesome in the synth, it's probably because of @brice or someone else. ;)

Yes, some awesome people (you of course as well).
    I don‘t care about price really if i feel value. Even free VST‘s or Reaktor ensembles are sometime better than 100 bucks plug-ins. And i have no big income as well. I just love synths and sample libraries too much :D

• edited October 2018

Yup, if it lives up to the anticipation, i'm in. Looking forward to it @analog_matt !

• @analog_matt

You say that it won’t be AU to begin with, but discounted initially? It is definitely going to be AU isn’t it? However great a synth app is these days, it will just be left on my IAA synth shelf if not AU :p

• @Samu said:
    @analog_matt Care to share any 'specs' on the synth-engine?

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up that they're getting "Massive" or anything. It does build on Synth One slightly (with brand new oscillator models, 128-independent 100% key tracked filters (one for each voice, etc), a total of 130 filters can run at once on newer iPads, more LFOs than synth one, etc).

But, the real magic is how everything interacts. I've gotten into heated debates on the topic of specs at Synth Meetups: To me, at the end of the day, it's the tone and sound that are more important than specs. Trying to do certain things really well, versus trying to do everything. Those limitations seem to be working. Sound designers have made over 300+ presets in 2 weeks. Preset designers seem to be much more inspired than with Synth One, even though it's slightly more complex.

There's some workarounds that allow us to make some of those old Digital Synth sounds without menu diving. Like for example, a PCM sample can trigger half-way through a traditional synth sound by assigning that layer to the Sequencer to trigger half-way through. Etc. The sounds can be made. They're just done in a different workflow that is more iPad friendly & "new user" friendly. Though, with over 300+ presets now... I suspect many people will probably just tweak existing presets.

• @analog_matt said:

@Samu said:

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up that they're getting "Massive" or anything. It does build on Synth One slightly (with brand new oscillator models, 128-independent 100% key tracked filters (one for each voice, etc), a total of 130 filters can run at once on newer iPads, more LFOs than synth one, etc).

But, the real magic is how everything interacts. I've gotten into heated debates on the topic of specs at Synth Meetups: To me, at the end of the day, it's the tone and sound that are more important than specs. Trying to do certain things really well, versus trying to do everything. Those limitations seem to be working. Sound designers have made over 300+ presets in 2 weeks. Preset designers seem to be much more inspired than with Synth One, even though it's slightly more complex.

There's some workarounds that allow us to make some of those old Digital Synth sounds without menu diving. Like for example, a PCM sample can trigger half-way through a traditional synth sound by assigning that layer to the Sequencer to trigger half-way through. Etc. The sounds can be made. They're just done in a different workflow that is more iPad friendly & "new user" friendly. Though, with over 300+ presets now... I suspect many people will probably just tweak existing presets.

This is all well and good but, Does it make the tea ? :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@analog_matt said:

@Samu said:

This is all well and good but, Does it make the tea ? :D

no milk please

• @brice said:

@ph8aerror said:
    I swear @brice is John Carpenter with significantly less murder.

Might I use this, and this alone, as the “about” text on my website? It’s pure gold.

Go right ahead. Once John is cool with it too. Lol

• The more I read, the more excited I feel!

• edited October 2018

@analog_matt is definitely one of the best dev communicators. This app sure looks exciting!

• edited October 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @analog_matt

You say that it won’t be AU to begin with, but discounted initially? It is definitely going to be AU isn’t it?

AUv3 is definitely in the works. In fact, I believe Jakob Haq is going to give a sneak peak of the AUv3 version in one of his upcoming videos.

BTW, Jakob's Digital D1 presets are lush and gorgeous.

• Took a break from coding just now to have lunch with my new neighbor...

MITCH, THE AUDIO DABBLER! @gmslayton

• Truman Show or maybe The Good Place.

• @analog_matt said:

@Samu said:

I don´t like Massive....i really like Synth One more ;)
    (but yes, Massive X is coming and it get all the hype for sure)
    One question if allowed.....does Digital-1 allows microtuning like Synth One?

• !!!!!!!!!!!

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Pulse quickening.

Very good niche sound I actually could use.

Most things I have are bad emulations or samples.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Now how do I get the time machine from 1983 back to 2018?

Do some lines of coke and put on a pair of Z Cavaricci jeans.

• edited October 2018

@RUST( i )K said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Now how do I get the time machine from 1983 back to 2018?

Do some lines of coke and put on a pair of Z Cavaricci jeans.

Something happens”

• @analog_matt said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Great question!

Nice I was going to say you made me think of Eric. Really looking forward to this

• edited October 2018

For a completely different sound demo...

New Demonstration of the Synthesis Engine. This a pure-synth patch. No samples.
    It's an ethereal Sigur Ros style guitar patch by Brice Beasley. No external processing.

Modulation on the flanger, distortion, detune, filter and pan. (All FX are from Digital D1)