Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

what pedal for looping would you recommend me?

edited October 2018 in Other

Hi i’m a little missing i started looking for loopstations but i really doesn’t care about the pedal record all itself (apart from that are expensive if i want more than 1 track of looping)

I was looking for something that i could control with my foots and works to do loops with apps like loopy hd, garageband or cubasis, (if you know another app that works with the pedal that you would recommend me, tell me too)

I would use it with mac, garageband, logic and in a future ableton live, but i don’t learn how to use it Yet.
If it works with ipad so much better, So if you know about a pedal that works just with mac, tell me either, but i am more interested in use it with ipad.

When i started to investigate about that i read about “loop switchers”
I tought that was pedals with switchs that activates loops if you connect it with apps.

For example this one https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Cybery--hotone-cybery-4-channel-loop-switcher-with-smartphone-app

Or this one that doesn’t work with ios
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BlackLoop--one-control-black-loop-2-loop-switcher-pedal

But after read a couple of hours about that i started to believe that even when they have loop in the name, doesnt help you to make any loop. It just to connect pedalls effect. But if you could clarify my doubts about it i would appreciate it.

I think that i found 2 options that could work

behringer fcb1010 like in this video that he use it with loopy hd
The disadventage about this one for me is that i can’t find in my country and its a little big to ask for a friend that is travelling to united states to bring it to me, for this reasons even when maybe not be the best option if you know any other foot midi pedal or something like that mention to me because maybe this one yes it available in my country.

The second one is
Irig blueboard, well thats little and i see that work with loopy hd, so i think that i least could manage 4 loop channels. But i don’t know if it works with garageband or cubasis because i mostly found videos with ik instrumental apps. Another pro about this board is that i can add expression pedal but i don’t know if i have to buy an espesific pedal from ik (that i don’t find) or anyone work.
It said that you could add switch pedals too... i don’t know that it means you could expand from 4 buttons that has blueboard to 8 for example.

The last one that i saw was icon g-board
The pros in front of blueboard is that have 8 eight buttons in stead of 4 and i can easily find in some stores of my country. (That’s important haha)
But i can’t add a expression or sustain pedal, and most important. I read that it doesn’t work with ipad becuase it doesn’t provide the enoguh power. I read that in a store page of my country.
But maybe the information need to be updated or its wrong. I have a ipad pro 2nd generation.
Well even if it works with ipad i don’t know if its compatible with garageband, cubasis, loopy hd or which apps.

Thank you for your help

Ps: i forgot to tell you that i have a lunchpad pro, i saw some people using it like a looper with their foots but look a little uncomfortable and correct me if i’m wrong but it just work with ableton in a mac or pc, not with ios.

Comments

• edited October 2018

Sorry, gave up part way through but "behringer fcb1010 like in this video that he use it with loopy hd" is a popular, solid combo.

The other type of "loop" pedals you came across (and linked to) is for switching an audio cable "effect loop" on and off. Same name, totally different idea.

• edited October 2018

I like my iRig Blueboard and I know there are quite a few people on here that like it. What I don't like about it is the rather uncertain and non-tactile feedback when wearing shoes. There is no audible click or feeling that the button has definitely been pressed so there have been a few times I've pressed the button uncertainly and not had it register the beginning or end of a loop. Now that I have that knowledge, however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it - and I now use it in the MIDI mode where you don't need the Blueboard app and it can be used with any app that takes in virtual midi - so Tonestack, GarageBand, Loopy, Quantiloop and many more.

I would buy it again given the same set of parameters including budget though I really wish it were more tactile underfoot. The reason I didn't get the Behringer is 3 primary reasons: 1) too heavy, 2) too big and not really portable, 3) requires extensive programming to get it to work or you have to buy a companion app to ease the process (not plug and play like other bluetooth pedal systems).

edit: Ken Karsh I think runs two Blueboard pedals on his setup, giving the 8 buttons. I don't know that he runs an expression pedal. I'm following this thread because I'd like to know more about that since it is missing from my setup too.

• edited October 2018

Setting up BlueBoard in BTLE mode with Loopy is easy and you can have up to 8 actions (midi learn single tap and hold button, which is two actions per button). Add to this that Loopy can receive a double fast tap for fade in fade out and you can have 12 actions with BlueBoard. Expression pedal from M-Audio works perfectly with it with neutral knob setup, and costs around 18 euros. Compact and wireless setup with pretty good battery life too.

https://www.m-audio.com/products/view/ex-p

• so i think that i least could manage 4 loop channels.

In case it helps with planning... With Loopy (and probably other looper apps, I'm not sure) you can assign a pedal to "Next Track" (or "Previous Track"). Then you can assign the remaining pedals to do things like Play, Record, whatever... to the "Current Track". That way you can actually manage more loops/channels than you have pedals.

• @syrupcore said:

so i think that i least could manage 4 loop channels.

In case it helps with planning... With Loopy (and probably other looper apps, I'm not sure) you can assign a pedal to "Next Track" (or "Previous Track"). Then you can assign the remaining pedals to do things like Play, Record, whatever... to the "Current Track". That way you can actually manage more loops/channels than you have pedals.

Excellent advice👍🏼
    Blueboard and loopy are a smooth no fuss operation....but the button design can use a lift, socks or barefoot works best.

• edited October 2018

Thank you all, @fprintf you said that you use Blueboard a lot, i have one more question, about batteries i said in manual user that i can’t use battery rechargeable because i would broke the product. Maybe i misunderstand something, english is not my first language so i could get it wrong... but i was thinking in use blueboard everyday and if i have ti spend in non rechargeable batteries in a sooner or later it would be expensive and makes me think in options like bt4 from positive grid (i don’t preffer ir in first instance because it doesn’t connect with mac, but.... at least i could connect ac power cable)

“CAUTION: risk of explosion if battery is replaced by an incorrect type. iRig BlueBoard can ONLY be used with consumer grade, non-rechargeable CARBON-ZINC or ALKALINE batteries.”

Another thing that i didn’t get it from manual user is that micro usb cable could be used like power

“USB Power
    On fixed installations this port can also be used to POWER iRig BlueBoard instead of batteries. For example if you plan to include iRig BlueBoard in a more complex pedalboard with integrated power-supply units, you can fix iRig BlueBoard to your pedalboard with Bi-adhesive Velcro, and you can connect a standard Micro-USB cable to this socket and to a regular 5V-USB power supply unit.”

Thats means that i have to modify phisycally something to could put the micro-usb in for example an iphone/iñad wall charger and use it to turn on the pedal? My wall charger has 12w i have the ipad pro 2nd generation.

• @Janosax do you know if roland ev 5 or korg exp 2 works too? Both works either piano as guitar?

• edited October 2018

@trrracker said:
    @Janosax do you know if roland ev 5 or korg exp 2 works too? Both works either piano as guitar?

I really don’t know sorry. But some users have issues with various pedals which don’t have a neutral setting, also the M-Audio have a switch with two modes for the range and works flawlessly with AUM for example (I usually use it with Dubstation2 mix knob). About batteries, I didn’t knew that, but yes it seems you must don’t use rechargeable batteries, certainly because of voltage. I use low cost alkaline batteries and get al least 20 hours from them, this will not be that expensive even with daily use. Also be careful with all other pedalboards, having a midi notes mode is needed for maximum compatibility with all apps, which Bluebaord does but lot of pedalboard don’t have this feature. I think Loopy needs midi notes for single tap/double tap/hold, that may not work with CC or PC.

• @Janosax hey do you know if blueboard or positive grid bt4 has the festires needed to control loopy hd in background, because i was thinking that the app that will be showing in screen will be garageband or cubasis most probably and well i read in some forums that some foot midi controllers just work with the apps that are in this moment in the screen

• @trrracker said:
    @Janosax hey do you know if blueboard or positive grid bt4 has the festires needed to control loopy hd in background, because i was thinking that the app that will be showing in screen will be garageband or cubasis most probably and well i read in some forums that some foot midi controllers just work with the apps that are in this moment in the screen

Bluebaord works with Loopy in background no issues :)