Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which app to chop a sample track into bars?

So you have your sample track that you now want to chop into bars. Which app will do this most efficiently?

BM3? AEMS? Samplist? AudioLayer? Others?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • look for something with transient detection

• @gusgranite said:
    So you have your sample track that you now want to chop into bars. Which app will do this most efficiently?

Steady tempo? Really only into bars, or finer grained?

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Tempo wavers a bit as it’s live jazz. So every bar needs to worked on a little to get a clean loop.

Normally BM3 is my go to for sampling hits and snippets and then layering them, etc. AEMS seems better for looping bars and trimming them but I expect there’s a better way.

• @kobamoto said:
    look for something with transient detection

So iMPC Pro or Reslice on iOS? Transient detection is great for single hits but for looping whole bars, I’m not sure how effective it is?

• edited October 2018

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Tempo wavers a bit as it’s live jazz. So every bar needs to worked on a little to get a clean loop.

Normally BM3 is my go to for sampling hits and snippets and then layering them, etc. AEMS seems better for looping bars and trimming them but I expect there’s a better way.

Isn't that a contradiction in itself?
    Even if you had the dream app that would cut your track into exactly looping bars, as the tempo varies, those perfectly cut loops would have different lengths.
    Is that what you want?
    If so, then I guess BM3 is one of the best options:
    Trim the track to begin and end at a bra boundary, in Auto-slice > Split, set the number of bars the track has and fine-adjust the slices if required. I cannot imagine a much faster way, even the Win/Mac tools I know usually need manual fine-tuning.

• wimwim
    edited October 2018

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Tempo wavers a bit as it’s live jazz. So every bar needs to worked on a little to get a clean loop. If you want to end up with loops of equal length, AP can do it.

Eh. I’d say maybe Auria Pro in that case. It has transient detection, and the ability to actually warp bits of the audio if needed.

AudioShare is also excellent if you make good use of the tempo and snap to beat.

• @rs2000 said:

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Isn't that a contradiction in itself?
    Even if you had the dream app that would cut your track into exactly looping bars, as the tempo varies, those perfectly cut loops would have different lengths.
    Is that what you want?

Yes, there’s work to be done whichever way you do. BM3 and AEMS are both up to the task, just curious if anyone is using a different workflow.

• Having tried the different options (except I don’t have Auria Pro), BM3 is totally the tool for this. I was just being too manual about. BM3 has a slice to grid option so as long as you get the tempo close, you can then just slice to bars, trim up the loops, and then start to work on the ones you like.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2018

@wim said: AudioShare is also excellent if you make good use of the tempo and snap to beat.

Wait, what? I’m an audioshare user since day one, but I have no idea what you’re talking about. I only wish audioshare would zoom in further to sample accurate level, that’s why I don’t use it for trimming except for ruff cuts

• @pedro said:

@wim said: AudioShare is also excellent if you make good use of the tempo and snap to beat.

Wait, what? I’m an audioshare user since day one, but I have no idea what you’re talking about. I only wish audioshare would zoom in further to sample accurate level, that’s why I don’t use it for trimming except for ruff cuts

Nor me, but I’ve just revisited the trim and fade section, and the nudge and snap tools are excellent.

No idea how I missed those, thank you Mr @wim

• @pedro said:

Sure, it would be nice if it zoomed in to sample level, but honestly, I almost never miss that. My usual workflow is:

1. Set the starting point as accurately as possible. This is the most important step. This should be done with snap OFF. I also turn fade-in to zero to make sure I don’t lose any transient punch.
    2. If you know the BPM then set it, turn snap to beat on, and then just snap to the last beat. Skip the next step.
    3. If you don’t know the BPM, then leave snap off and set the end point as accurately as you can. Then adjust the tempo until the number of beats is as close as possible to the number of beats in the sample. Now turn snap on and move the endpoint, which will snap it to the exact number of beats.
    4. Test the loop to see if there are any clicks. If there are then play with the fade in and out to try to eliminate them before saving.

99% of the time I can get a clean loop very quickly this way. Oh, If I’m going to normalize the loop, I do that first. It makes editing easier and reduces the chance of clicks being introduced when the sample is normalized.

• LooperSonic
    Maybe Looperverse

• @wim said:

@pedro said:

Sure, it would be nice if it zoomed in to sample level, but honestly, I almost never miss that. My usual workflow is:

1. Set the starting point as accurately as possible. This is the most important step. This should be done with snap OFF. I also turn fade-in to zero to make sure I don’t lose any transient punch.
    2. If you know the BPM then set it, turn snap to beat on, and then just snap to the last beat. Skip the next step.
    3. If you don’t know the BPM, then leave snap off and set the end point as accurately as you can. Then adjust the tempo until the number of beats is as close as possible to the number of beats in the sample. Now turn snap on and move the endpoint, which will snap it to the exact number of beats.
    4. Test the loop to see if there are any clicks. If there are then play with the fade in and out to try to eliminate them before saving.

99% of the time I can get a clean loop very quickly this way. Oh, If I’m going to normalize the loop, I do that first. It makes editing easier and reduces the chance of clicks being introduced when the sample is normalized.

Nice little vital tut right there...

• I use Blocs Wave for chopping into bars. Super fast and easy.

• @gusgranite said:

You can use Samplist. Select a slice with the loop region and save it as a new file. Which basically is a trim operation.

Then use the tempo function to add the beat grid (optional)

Then split the sample into equal regions.

• My sampling workflow is AudioShare to Blocs to cubasis. If AudioShare had full screen editing that would really help.