Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• The synth from Syntorial app.

• Nice promo tool for the Syntorial app :)

• Great! I had fun with Syntorial, so it will be cool to use their synth as an AUv3 :smiley:

• Thanks @Carnbot
    Free is pretty nice for this

• Sounds pretty good so far - having trouble switching presets in AUM as an AUV.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Nice promo tool for the Syntorial app :)

Agreed. So ... has anyone here purchased the full Monty Syntorial app? Was it worth it to you?

I feel it is tough to pony up to that price, but at the same time there was a heck of alot of work that went into it. Plus, I don't know of any other app that would offer this much value. I'm a guy who loves synths and loves playing them and have learned alot but - often don't know what I'm doing in terms of the 'finer points' of synthesis.

Opinions and experiences appreciated.

• It was worth it to me.

• edited October 2018

@kinkujin said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Nice promo tool for the Syntorial app :)

Agreed. So ... has anyone here purchased the full Monty Syntorial app? Was it worth it to you?

I feel it is tough to pony up to that price, but at the same time there was a heck of alot of work that went into it. Plus, I don't know of any other app that would offer this much value. I'm a guy who loves synths and loves playing them and have learned alot but - often don't know what I'm doing in terms of the 'finer points' of synthesis.

Opinions and experiences appreciated.

Syntorial does comes with 22 free lesson and IAP for the rest. I guess we get to tweak some 64 parameters of the synth while doing the sound-design challenges. Also, it has additional free downloadable content on sound design using Massive, Sylenth, ZT3A, Voyager, etc. And many videos on their YouTube channel.

It is well worth the investment and a dream-come-true app with all the content locally right on the iPad (no need to stream anything) with the built-in synth, lessons, videos, challenges - all these contribute to intense ear-training. Your ear would get trained by the time you finish even the free lessons! It was designed the right way with introduction, description, challenges using a proprietary built-in synth so every user would use the same synth (books serve no purpose to teach "sound" design as it should be learnt practically using a tool/app).

I haven't used it a lot as it was hard-coded with Background Audio as ON (for use as IAA) that was draining my battery. Joe said after releasing Primer AU by the end of this year, he would remove the IAA feature from Syntorial and also turn off background audio in it. Still waiting for the change and wish to use it more right after that switch is turned off. It'll be a ton of FUN :smile:

Primer is a cool idea to offer it as a free AU - marketing for those who haven't purchased Syntorial yet and for use as AU with the same familiar synth for those who have already used Syntorial. Slick! It does have some rough edges and hopefully would be ironed out soon but a great job for the first-cut. We see some taps not responding instantly, a few issues in half-screen/full-screen mode, a dark theme would be cool, etc.

• Thanks @cian and @MobileMusic

So, you didn't get through the course yet, due to battery issues?

• @kinkujin Have you worked through the old Sound on Sound basics to synthesis? If you can still find them, they are worth a read. I’ve only done the freebie lessons of Syntorial, but I can imagine those, that the full package is worth it. I don’t have the concentration span to follow lessons though. I think I know just enough to do music as a hobby. Really the side of music I need to learn more is music theory.

• edited October 2018

@kinkujin said:
    Thanks @cian and @MobileMusic

Yes, if I forgot to close the app, it would drain the battery completely when I needed it. Also, it drained battery when I tried Launch Synth and closed it - something to do with the background audio switch hard-coded as ON. Joe confirmed the switch could not be made dynamic at runtime because it was built using JUCE framework - it can only be on or off. Now that Primer is released, he needs to turn off the switch in Syntorial and release an update. Syntorial is an investment you won't regret - there is nothing like it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntorial

@Fruitbat1919 , books do not teach much about sound design as it needs tweaking sounds in real time and hearing them live, experimenting and learning practically using an app or gear. It's the reason why Syntorial has a built-in synth.

• @MobileMusic said:

@kinkujin said:
    Thanks @cian and @MobileMusic

Yes, if I forgot to close the app, it would drain the battery completely when I needed it. Also, it drained battery when I tried Launch Synth and closed it - something to do with the background audio switch hard-coded as ON. Joe confirmed the switch could not be made dynamic at runtime because it was built using JUCE framework - it can only be on or off. Now that Primer is released, he needs to turn off the switch in Syntorial and release an update. Syntorial is an investment you won't regret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntorial

@Fruitbat1919 , books do not teach much about sound design as it needs tweaking sounds in real time and hearing them live, experimenting and learning practically using an app or gear. It's the reason why Syntorial has a built-in synth.

While I agree, most of us here have synths and certainly some of the basics can be read in articles and tried on a synth or other sound apps. While it’s better to have audio, reading articles can still benefit and are mostly free now.

• @Fruitbat1919 and @MobileMusic I do appreciate the discussion on this. Is there any word on this battery drain AUv3 thing being addressed?

• edited October 2018

@kinkujin said:
    @Fruitbat1919 and @MobileMusic I do appreciate the discussion on this. Is there any word on this battery drain AUv3 thing being addressed?

There was an update of Syntorial 2 days ago but it doesn't mention anything about IAA removal or BG audio switch off. I've just sent a reminder to Joe.

• @MobileMusic said:

@kinkujin said:
    @Fruitbat1919 and @MobileMusic I do appreciate the discussion on this. Is there any word on this battery drain AUv3 thing being addressed?

There was an update of Syntorial 2 days ago but it doesn't mention anything about IAA removal or BG audio switch off. I've just sent a reminder to Joe.

Joe confirmed “The update prior to this one removed IAA and Background Audio so it's mentioned in that version's notes (1.6.503)”

So these battery issues are resolved.

• @MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

@kinkujin said:

Joe confirmed “The update prior to this one removed IAA and Background Audio so it's mentioned in that version's notes (1.6.503)”

So these battery issues are resolved.

Thanks for that update!

• Syntorial is on 50% off Black Friday sale until Monday, according to Twitter. Probably a little late for most, but if you are interested it’s a good time. :)

• Aw geez. Bought it at full price a while back. What a great deal!