Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pros will be announed October 30th

edited October 2018 in Other

If the rumors are right it means end of 3.5mm headphone input and end of lightning and Apple will switch to USB-C. Curious how this translates for muscians.

Link to new Apple event page
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/

Link to MacRumors with more info about the event
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/18/apple-logos-invites-october/

Comments

• I was looking forward to getting a new iPad a couple of months back, but since updating to iOS 12 the performance and battery life on my Air2 has been much better. Might get another year out of this one yet.

• This new iPads will mark the end of an era but at the same the mark the beginning of a new one. End of headphone jack means bluetooth is the way to go for Apple. Bluetooth with it's lag is not yet there in my eyes. We'll see what USB-C will mean. Will Apple limited it's possibilties. We'll see. Curious which audio makers will present s new app. Propellerhead? Besides that LPX and FCX for iPad are welcome :)

• @greengrocer said:
    This new iPads will mark the end of an era but at the same the mark the beginning of a new one. End of headphone jack means bluetooth is the way to go for Apple. Bluetooth with it's lag is not yet there in my eyes. We'll see what USB-C will mean. Will Apple limited it's possibilties. We'll see. Curious which audio makers will present s new app. Propellerhead? Besides that LPX and FCX for iPad are welcome :)

Or an updated app..?

• I’m guessing that they will release the new iPad Pro range beginning at £1000. They will also release a new cheaper iPad using the same build as the ‘new iPad’ (the one from years ago) - this they will call ‘the old new ipad’ and will have the same spec but with an updated processor called ‘Lucy’.

Then at the end of the event, they will announce just one more iPad called the ‘Original iPad’, which will be a 60% scale retro model with 14 of the best apps from that era built in!

• usb4 or usb-d and newer protocols/ports are going to replace usb-c quickly. The standards are a mess. The port is also not near thin enough for Apple to withstand for any reasonable amount of time. Their new lightning connector design would sell alot of dongles, so that's what I'm expecting. The one guarantee is that there will be more dongles.

• @jenkweb said:
    usb4 or usb-d and newer protocols/ports are going to replace usb-c quickly. The standards are a mess. The port is also not near thin enough for Apple to withstand for any reasonable amount of time. Their new lightning connector design would sell alot of dongles, so that's what I'm expecting. The one guarantee is that there will be more dongles.

Dongles meaning?

• The doughnut dongle will be the new thing! Each year the doughnut will get smaller, but the hole will get bigger! Why? Because they can sell us anything they want and still rake in enough money to buy a new planet :p

• edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    btw. there is zero need to remove the headphone jack on iPad
    so they won't do it
    a waterproof phone&camerea makes sense
    dont believe everything you read

usb-c without weird lightning dongle, ah we all wish this is true ^^
    lets hope

I think the same!

If they do remove the headphone jack as per rumors and pictures, that would be the dumbest move for us but it will make them more money with more accessory sales. Rumors say they are decreasing the thickness by some 6 mm (the thinnest iPad to date) and so there goes the jack. However, they had a camera bump on the back for years and so they could have a headphone jack bump to fit the 3.5 mm jack in the new slimmer iPad. Heck, in the worst case, they could instead offer a 2.5 mm jack that the original iPhone came with so it fits the slimmer iPad.

They could have perfected the Bluetooth technology with zero-lag before taking out the jacks. Bluetooth has its disadvantages:

1. The lag we all know of
    2. The sound quality degrades by the time the signal reaches the speaker.
    3. Bluetooth speakers are traditionally small with a tinny sound quality.
  • edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • More important......3D touch? That is the only thing i would forgive them the other nonsense (but usb-c is a good thing in general for me if i could use my SSD´s then too on an iPad which i doubt since they could open lightning as well for it years ago).

• edited October 2018

I like a headphone jack. Easy to interface with a mixer when you need a quick track. I use my iPad as a sound module into a larger desktop or PA system. Not strictly iOS.

• Really hoping to see a single dongle that will allow audio out (like the one that comes with the newest iPhones), but also a way to throughput to/from an outboard audio/MIDI interface and also allow charging at the same time. Other than the "headphone" connector part of this, perhaps a USB-C hub will give the best connectivity?

• Yes! Love me some planned obsolescence!

• I'm just excited for Intua coming on stage to show off the new version of BM3.

• @RajahP said:

@jenkweb said:
    usb4 or usb-d and newer protocols/ports are going to replace usb-c quickly. The standards are a mess. The port is also not near thin enough for Apple to withstand for any reasonable amount of time. Their new lightning connector design would sell alot of dongles, so that's what I'm expecting. The one guarantee is that there will be more dongles.

Dongles meaning?

The various adapters we need to plug in to interface with other stuff.

Over to the immortal Jakob Haq...

• edited October 2018

@aaronpc said:
    I'm just excited for Intua coming on stage to show off the new version of BM3.

You evil scanlined demon.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@RajahP said:

@jenkweb said:

Dongles meaning?

Think this @jakoB_haQ musicvideo is the best coming out of the whole iOS community under 2018, both in terms of music quality and nice iOS video editing!

And, most important, have Tim Cook SEEN THIS AMAZING video yet??

• @AudioGus said:

@aaronpc said:
    I'm just excited for Intua coming on stage to show off the new version of BM3.

You evil scanlined demon.

tee hee

• I was thinking about getting an iPhone Xs and some beats Bluetooth headphones for on the go stuff. Is the latency on Bluetooth bad enough that I’d need to buy one of those adapters?

• The headphone jack will stay, home button will go. 3D Touch is a wish but will hike the price a lot and likely won’t work with old apps like, ever, so I don’t care too much about that.

I have a feeling that at this point it is software and not hardware that is holding me back. Pro 10.5 has plenty of power by my standards.

• @Max23 said:
    photoshop for iPad is falling out of adobe soon
    time for apple to update their game and bring mainstage and logic to iPad
    there is enough cpu power and fast storage
    time to do it

btw. there is zero need to remove the headphone jack on iPad
    so they won't do it
    a waterproof phone&camerea makes sense
    dont believe everything you read

usb-c without weird lightning dongle, ah we all wish this is true ^^
    lets hope

@TheVimFuego said:

@RajahP said:

@jenkweb said:

Dongles meaning?

+100

• @Soundsauca said:
    I was thinking about getting an iPhone Xs and some beats Bluetooth headphones for on the go stuff. Is the latency on Bluetooth bad enough that I’d need to buy one of those adapters?

You will experience some input lag with this combination. If you find this annoying is up to you. Thing is that a lot of people overhere (this forum) can't live with this shortcoming. Also Bluetooth headphones are not really GREEN. They have batteries, you have to charge them, etc.

• ...and Beats are overpriced crap....sorry, couldn´t resist.

• @Cib said:
    ...and Beats are overpriced crap....sorry, couldn´t resist.

Understand btw find iOS devices also overpriced. It's the devs with their apps that makes it interesting platform.

• edited October 2018

@mannix said:

@Cib said:
    ...and Beats are overpriced crap....sorry, couldn´t resist.

Understand btw find iOS devices also overpriced. It's the devs with their apps that makes it interesting platform.

Of course but what has that to do with headphones?
    I don´t even find iOS devices overpriced compared to their new mac line :)
    While i think beside 3D touch there is nothing special in their smartphones, the tablets are the best you can get.

• Most likely we'll also get iOS12.1 and yet another update to GarageBand to support the new iPads and maybe some other long waited features :)

For me, I'm waiting for the iPhone Xr to be available for 'hands on' the local stores before I jump on them.
    Previously I've always pre-ordered iPhones (3G, 4 & 5) to get them on launch-day standing in line to get them etc. etc. but this time nah... I'll wait for proper reviews of the units before I get one...

For example will the stereo audio recording work properly when the device is held in portrait mode or is it limited to the movie-modes horizontal orientation? (I've not seen any schematics on the microphone placements yet).

• @Samu said:
    Most likely we'll also get iOS12.1 and yet another update to GarageBand to support the new iPads and maybe some other long waited features :)

For me, I'm waiting for the iPhone Xr to be available for 'hands on' the local stores before I jump on them.
    Previously I've always pre-ordered iPhones (3G, 4 & 5) to get them on launch-day standing in line to get them etc. etc. but this time nah... I'll wait for proper reviews of the units before I get one...

For example will the stereo audio recording work properly when the device is held in portrait mode or is it limited to the movie-modes horizontal orientation? (I've not seen any schematics on the microphone placements yet).

certainly the stereo microphone addition is a super feature, wise to wait and see if it works well.

• USB c means we can finally buy new dongles. So exciting...