Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gift Poll

So, the geese are by no means getting fat yet, but I'm thinking one of these two for the list when Mrs. Santa asks. Welcome any constructive thoughts or guidance.

Gift Poll
  1. If someone was going to give you one of these two (no reselling, sorry) which one would you choose?20 votes
    1. OP-1
      65.00%
    2. OP-Z
      35.00%

Comments

• Opz for sure !!!

• edited October 2018

Inception. Why am I suddenly so interested with such a very expensive toy I can emulate with my IPad and my many beautiful apps...op-z (buy me buy me)

• OP-1. You sound like a frequent traveler and you can pretty much create entire tracks with the thing.

I had to make a similar decision about a recent bigger purchase but I went the digital/digitone route. They’re not that portable but damn they make a fantastic combination.

• Newer is better

...I'm not sure on the hit % rate on that adage, so I didn't vote

• From what I’ve seen of the other one, the OP-1 is more self-contained and musical. Then again you like your video and the other one does visuals...so....

Tricky.

I miss my OP-1 a bit. Not enough to swap it back, but it was a very, desirable object. You’d have a lovely xmas day playing with it. Though it might be on the shelf come Easter.

My recommendation - forget those and get a Maschine Mk3 and Komplete. It is the best bit of musical kit I’ve ever had.

• @MonzoPro said:

...it was a very, desirable object... is probably a good part of my thinking....as is (and as Mister @robertreynolds deduced) the real portability factor. I seem to be on more and more airplanes (which I hate pretty much) and this pretty object seems like partial payment.

As for the Maschine, I have been paying attention to your complete and utter conversion. I know you're not an easy date, so it's definitely on the table. Not really as portable of course....and I guess I've always assumed that if you're using that you're using it with a laptop/desktop, which is not how I make music at this point, but that might change I guess....

You've certainly added more positive confusion into the mix :)

• @MonzoPro said:

My recommendation - forget those and get a Maschine Mk3 and Komplete. It is the best bit of musical kit I’ve ever had.

That does look lovely...

• Op1. Its keyboard looks better and i wouldnt care to use it for other than midi keys

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The first crimbo post. Aagh.
    Forgivable for under 14s only cos its 19th of Oct

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

...it was a very, desirable object... is probably a good part of my thinking....as is (and as Mister @robertreynolds deduced) the real portability factor. I seem to be on more and more airplanes (which I hate pretty much) and this pretty object seems like partial payment.

As for the Maschine, I have been paying attention to your complete and utter conversion. I know you're not an easy date, so it's definitely on the table. Not really as portable of course....and I guess I've always assumed that if you're using that you're using it with a laptop/desktop, which is not how I make music at this point, but that might change I guess....

I think if a bit of entertainment on flights is what you’re after, the OP-1 would be a good bet. Thing that stumped me though, was how do I integrate it into my iPad workflow, and why would I use the OP-1 instead? In the end I didn’t, and lovely though it was, it had to go.

The Maschine works for me, as it fits into my desktop setup. I play VST’s via Maschine, which is then placed as a plugin itself inside Reason. The Mk3 has a built in audio interface too - which replaces the crap one in my PC, and it has a built in sampler too.

I can record the iPad straight in, import audio, or use WiFi midi to control my desktop synths with iOS sequencers. So it joins everything up. Even my guitar or a mic can be plugged straight into the back of the Maschine.

Portability wise - it’s not tiny or suited to plane journeys, but with a laptop it doesn’t take that much space, so I’ll be taking mine on holidays, much to the delight of Mrs Monzo.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

I think if a bit of entertainment on flights is what you’re after, the OP-1 would be a good bet. Thing that stumped me though, was how do I integrate it into my iPad workflow, and why would I use the OP-1 instead? In the end I didn’t, and lovely though it was, it had to go.

The Maschine works for me, as it fits into my desktop setup. I play VST’s via Maschine, which is then placed as a plugin itself inside Reason. The Mk3 has a built in audio interface too - which replaces the crap one in my PC, and it has a built in sampler too.

I can record the iPad straight in, import audio, or use WiFi midi to control my desktop synths with iOS sequencers. So it joins everything up. Even my guitar or a mic can be plugged straight into the back of the Maschine.

Portability wise - it’s not tiny or suited to plane journeys, but with a laptop it doesn’t take that much space, so I’ll be taking mine on holidays, much to the delight of Mrs Monzo.

Good to see Maschine mentioned. Nice thing Maschine 3 is even much cheaper than this Teenage Engeneering devices. btw Beatstep and eventually Beatstep are even cheaper and also fit in iOS workflows.

• I hate when people do this to me but neither.

I would much rater the new Novation MIDI Keyboard for that price or a new iPad or maybe something like a granular hardware synth.

Something about the TE OP are too "cute" and "petite" for me.

Cookoo looks Cookoo jumping around with looks like a Nintendo controller.

In the age of live performance electronic music .....OP is not my flavor.

Too refined and dignified for me.

Johnny, why do you want an OP?

Maybe I am missing something?

My Mono Station came yesterday to pair with the Circuit so I am good on that front.

Although wife making me wait till actual BDAY to have MONO STATION.

Interested in why OP of all hardware out there.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Johnny, why do you want an OP?

Maybe I am missing something?

Because I like sex
    and because my wife wants two new chairs
    for the living room for Christmas
    and there's no fighting back
    but death
    while not stalking me per se
    is in the room now
    and as a consequence indulgence
    has fully cleared its throat
    that's why.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

All good points and educational also. Have copied and pasted this into my iOS document etc. My guess is that what you have and propose and dangle etc will go onto the 'as well as' rather than the 'instead of' list. Good to think two Christmases out. Presumes survival :)

• @mrcanister said:
    The first crimbo post. Aagh.
    Forgivable for under 14s only cos its 19th of Oct

This is not the open world, this is the elf cellar, where plans are made and bounced against the collective wisdom etc. Pay no heed.

• edited October 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

All good points and educational also. Have copied and pasted this into my iOS document etc. My guess is that what you have and propose and dangle etc will go onto the 'as well as' rather than the 'instead of' list. Good to think two Christmases out. Presumes survival :)

Only problem is, as well as the AppStore, I now have pluginboutique.com flaunting its pricey, wonderful delights. Don’t look in there Boss, or you’ll have to get her a settee as well.

• ah, together we become a megamind.
    you should know that only teenagers with hipster beards are permitted to buy the opz.
    and the word is they're bad for the teeth
    my vote would be for a digi takt o tone