Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How would you recreate Da Funk’s synth sound (the main synth not the 303)

edited October 2018 in Other

This thread has some info but I’d appreciate your take (using iOS synths and fx): https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/476368-da-funk-synth.html

I know the actual synth sound is probably less important than the fx they used, and there seems to be some kind of wah thing going. And they used nothing but hardware, I believe.

Btw, we don’t have an sh101 emulation, do we?

Comments

• Both DRC and Zeeon should get you pretty close in that domain, shut down all fx to approach the gritty saw osc.

• Link to the Imaginando (DRC) tutorial.

• edited October 2018

Try the Dublin gadget, it's very well suited to produce such sounds.

• edited October 2018

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I’ll give them all a try (own all those apps)...
    This is just for fun, and even if I don’t come anywhere near (most likely) I may end up with some cool presets.

• Pedro, the poison 202 synth has a patch specifically for that song and sound. It also has a bunch of prodigy sounds.

• edited October 2018

@pedro said:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I’ll give them all a try (own all those apps)...
    This is just for fun, and even if I don’t come anywhere near (most likely) I may end up with some cool presets.

Dublin says: https://clyp.it/4fak5z3z

• Poison-202: Patch B22.

Or put a Moog through a Crybaby pedal

• edited October 2018

Here's an interesting patch on the Microbrute which is exactly that sound, you may be able to replicate it on something like Poison 202 or Sunrizer (starts after 13 seconds):

p.s. if you have a Microbrute, watch this Liquid Limbs series of videos. The patch examples are incredible.

• Slightly OT but I saw these guys play this track live at a rave in BFE Wisconsin in 96. Turns out it was their first show in the states. There’s a very grainy video of the performance on YouTube (maybe not if that particular track though). Much craziness went down that weekend.

• @brambos holy shit that’s so much it! Thank you so much!

• As the thread you link to suggests, it’s not about using a wah, that part can be done with resonance on a filter and the right enveloppe settings. That’s what the DRC tutorial achieves to my ears. To get the rest of the sound you need some post filter distortion (which is definitely missing on the DRC demo.) The Dublin gadget makes it easy because it has a post filter drive section. Might be the same thing with the brute demo, not sure.

Maybe try the DRC patch into your fav iOS distortion as proof of concept?

• I absolutely nailed that sound on my MS-20, so I imagine the iMS-20 app would get you there. I wouldn't be surprised if Daft Punk used an MS-20 on the record.

Peace \/
    chisel316
    www.YouTube.com/chisel316

• edited October 2018

@Ferretstyle69 @jolico that’s great, I’m gonna check. I knew about the prodigy like sounds, I’m a big fan of both them and the app

@rs2000 your link gives me a 404, but now you got me curious...

@ohwell thanks for the great tips, I love DRC though I haven’t fired it up in a while. And the guys that made are almost my neighbors

@chisel316 they were indeed very heavy ms20 users, it is one of the synths mentioned on the thread I linked.
    Any tips on how to approach it?

It’s gonna be a fun weekend, thanks everyone!

• edited October 2018

@jolico said:
    Poison-202: Patch B22.

I just tried it, that’s pretty much it, and the preset name (daft funk) had me facepalming :)
    Off now to reverse-engineering...

• here is a quick attempt with xequence and poison202
    http://preset.audiob.us/QuA6ItG5n0mWgTI

• edited October 2018

@pedro said:
    here is a quick attempt with xequence and poison202
    http://preset.audiob.us/QuA6ItG5n0mWgTI

Sorry, here's my updated link: https://clyp.it/4fak5z3z
    I've chosen Dublin because
    1) it's free in Gadget LE and
    2) it sounds very close to this video that I've taken as my reference: :smiley:

• @Approach said:
    Slightly OT but I saw these guys play this track live at a rave in BFE Wisconsin in 96. Turns out it was their first show in the states. There’s a very grainy video of the performance on YouTube (maybe not if that particular track though). Much craziness went down that weekend.

nice one - they were more about energy than about gear those days. B)
    I liked Homework a lot and also Discovery, still have that (now worthless) Daft Club card ...

• edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @brambos said:
    Here's an interesting patch on the Microbrute which is exactly that sound, you may be able to replicate it on something like Poison 202 or Sunrizer (starts after 13 seconds):

p.s. if you have a Microbrute, watch this Liquid Limbs series of videos. The patch examples are incredible.

Wow, those are really good. Thanks for the link.
    I've never come close to getting that range of sounds from my Microbrute setup. Must try harder : )

• edited October 2018

Funnily enough, the other day i found a preset in ODYSSEi called Da Phunk, had fun for a way too long working out the melody.

• @Calverhall said:
    Funnily enough, the other day i found a preset in ODYSSEi called Da Phunk, had fun for a way too long working out the melody.

Oh, didn't see this one, thanks! Sounds quite different though.
    Is the linked video the version we're talking about?

• @rs2000 said:

@pedro said:

Dublin says: https://clyp.it/4fak5z3z

This sounds great in Dublin. I love Dublin.

• @brambos said:

Thanks for sharing this :)
    Kinda makes me wish there was an AUv3 version of the MicroBrute out there...
    (I'm having a blast with my Volca Bass for the time being. It's simple yes, but very fun to tweak).

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

Thanks for sharing this :)
    Kinda makes me wish there was an AUv3 version of the MicroBrute out there...
    (I'm having a blast with my Volca Bass for the time being. It's simple yes, but very fun to tweak).

80% of the MicroBrute's special character comes from the waveshaping/distortion/feedback modules. Chaining any iOS synth that has a multimode filter with an EQ and a good waveshaping/destortion effect will give you that sound.

• @rs2000 said:

80% of the MicroBrute's special character comes from the waveshaping/distortion/feedback modules. Chaining any iOS synth that has a multimode filter with an EQ and a good waveshaping/destortion effect will give you that sound.

True, effects play a big part in creating the sounds.
    For example The Volca Bass and UNO Synth 'come alive' after a bit of fx-treatment, the dry sound can get a bit boring...

What would be nice is a 'semi modular thing' where one could shape the oscillators a bit more before they are fed thru the filters and let one oscillator 'warp'(fm/am/pd etc.) the other, that would require flexibility in the modulation department (ie. where in the chain to apply the envelopes and what passes thru the filter, one oscillator or all oscillators etc. etc.).

Where most synths (especially software ones) fall short are the modulation options & routings.
    Most apps stick with limited number of LFO's and fixed modulation routings where a simple 'custom LFO wave'(ie. step sequencer) could increase the flexibility by ten-fold and could potentially replace envelopes with one-shots with a 'sustain point'.(Being a chip-tune addict a '4 speed' tune can change all sound parameters every 5ms).

Another 'un tamed beast' is SunVox. It can do almost anything but it's tedious work to build instruments especially since there is no easy way to 'cut, copy & paste' modules when they need to be put inside a meta-module and that's where I usually loose patience when creating new sounds with it...(Nightradio is well aware of the current limitations).

AudioDamage did something really nice with Quanta and added the FEG's(Flexible Envelope Generators) that can be treated as LFOs when needed and a Mod-Matrix with all parameters available so I can only hope they have some kind of synth in the works that puts all their nice tricks to full effect :)

We do have a very wide array of tools on iOS already but honestly it's a bit of a pita to chain them together.
    There's a 'need' for some kind of 'AUv3 AUv3-Host' where we could store 'AUv3 Chains Presets' for later recall.

• @Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

True, effects play a big part in creating the sounds.
    For example The Volca Bass and UNO Synth 'come alive' after a bit of fx-treatment, the dry sound can get a bit boring...

What would be nice is a 'semi modular thing' where one could shape the oscillators a bit more before they are fed thru the filters and let one oscillator 'warp'(fm/am/pd etc.) the other, that would require flexibility in the modulation department (ie. where in the chain to apply the envelopes and what passes thru the filter, one oscillator or all oscillators etc. etc.).

Where most synths (especially software ones) fall short are the modulation options & routings.
    Most apps stick with limited number of LFO's and fixed modulation routings where a simple 'custom LFO wave'(ie. step sequencer) could increase the flexibility by ten-fold and could potentially replace envelopes with one-shots with a 'sustain point'.(Being a chip-tune addict a '4 speed' tune can change all sound parameters every 5ms).

Another 'un tamed beast' is SunVox. It can do almost anything but it's tedious work to build instruments especially since there is no easy way to 'cut, copy & paste' modules when they need to be put inside a meta-module and that's where I usually loose patience when creating new sounds with it...(Nightradio is well aware of the current limitations).

AudioDamage did something really nice with Quanta and added the FEG's(Flexible Envelope Generators) that can be treated as LFOs when needed and a Mod-Matrix with all parameters available so I can only hope they have some kind of synth in the works that puts all their nice tricks to full effect :)

We do have a very wide array of tools on iOS already but honestly it's a bit of a pita to chain them together.
    There's a 'need' for some kind of 'AUv3 AUv3-Host' where we could store 'AUv3 Chains Presets' for later recall.

Audulus is going to be AUv3 soon (if all goes well), I guess that's going to be the answer :smiley:

• ...nonetheless you can create these sounds in Gadget using multiple EQs and overdriving the channel, kinda poor man's multiband distortion.
    Record Gadget's output in AudioShare and re-import in Zurich/Rosario.

• @rs2000 said:

Audulus is going to be AUv3 soon (if all goes well), I guess that's going to be the answer :smiley:

As much as I'd love to love Audulus I just get bad eye-strain and severe head-ache from it's UI :(

I have the desktop version as well and it's equally bad for my eyes so I'm not able to use it as much as I wanted to meaning I will most likely not get Audulus 4 when it drops.

The more I look at it the closer I get to just using a limited but still flexible enough set of apps...

• Yep DRC has that as preset, i think maybe in app purchase bank