Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Lets talk about spatalization...

2»

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:
    I gotta disagree. I don't know if there any top-notch convolution reverbs on iOS, but something like Altiverb is unsurpassed in placing something in what seems like a real space. It is useful both for reverb and placing something in position. There are some awesome examples with virtual orchestra instruments really putting the orchestra sections in space.

@Cib said:

@Max23 said:
    btw. I think convolution beats the hell out of any algorithm in realistic sounding reverbs ...

I totally disagree here. While some convolution reverbs are amazing i much prefer algorithmic reverbs.
    Normally an IR just give you something like a photo while an algo verb gives you a movie.
    A real space also will never sound the same in the next second with the same instruments/note. It´s all breathing.
    However, sometimes the right IR might do the best job if you need a specific space.
    But also it set your instrument all at the same place in the space. Which is not natural at all.
    Space Designer for Garage Band would be welcome :)

I know Altiverb but for me it‘s surpassed as well.
    But that might be also a matter of taste.
    I‘m a reverb junkie :)

• Altispace was a total disappointment (for me) because all IRs provided deliver exactly the same soundprint, regardless of the device or environment modelled.
    Which really puzzled me as I like the other works of the developer a lot.

• edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2018

@Max23 said:
    the key with convolution is to have great samples,
    I don't think the engine matters much
    I like these for example <3
    they are kind of an altiverb teaser
    altiverb is an exquisite lib of different positions with different mics in all kinds of studios and real spaces, recorded in quad, 5.1 and what have you
    they are maniacs

https://fokkie.home.xs4all.nl/IR.htm

https://www.audioease.com/altiverb/

isn't the stage position thing what you were looking for here?

Like i said there are nice options for desktop/notebooks but not on iOS.
    Beside that i think Altiverb is a bit dated and overpriced anyway....but that´s just me maybe.
    NanoStudio will get a convolution reverb (i think via IAP) and we already have a few on iOS but while in theory each IR should sound the same in all convolution reverbs they does not always.
    However, i f.e. love the weird IR in Logic space Designer which can really transform also drum kits in some magical sounds (also great that you can reverse, stretch it etc.).
    However if i want a 625 meter room under water i need an algorithmic reverb :)

• Do it by hand. Record several takes, pan them differently, Eq them differently, keep the lows mono, go wild on the sides... this pretty much is the recipe for a full sound

• edited October 2018

@pedro said:
    Do it by hand. Record several takes, pan them differently, Eq them differently, keep the lows mono, go wild on the sides... this pretty much is the recipe for a full sound

Like i said, panning doesn´t really work since it only change mainly the gain.
    But thank´s for all the suggestions. I guess iOS isn´t quite there yet in this area. But it can only get better.
    I mean i think there is no market on iOS for these tools but maybe in some years.
    While there are some usable orchestra and acoustic sounds it impossible for me to put them a proper space without loosing clarity. But that could be also user fault. But i´m simple....why do 10 steps if i can get better results with 1-2.

• edited October 2018

It works if you have slightly different takes, and make a sub-mix.
    If it is the same exact sound, it doesn’t work as much, but I was thinking in terms of the techniques used to double vocals, or making basses and leads really wide

• tbh I tried several combinations with automated and manual settings... and completely failed in what you're after. There was no clear positioning in any of the candidates, not even a hint which tweaks might improve the situation.

• @Cib have you seen this yet? Not for iOS but I think it’s gonna be worth looking into, and it has features that relate to this discussion as a theme. Plus, your buddy is narrating the video :D

• edited October 2018

@Cib said:

@pedro said:
    Do it by hand. Record several takes, pan them differently, Eq them differently, keep the lows mono, go wild on the sides... this pretty much is the recipe for a full sound

Like i said, panning doesn´t really work since it only change mainly the gain.
    But thank´s for all the suggestions. I guess iOS isn´t quite there yet in this area.

When it comes to competing with the best on desktop it is hard for most areas to measure up.

• I agree with cib that a technique like this may create interesting textures, they don't create a realistic sense of placement in a room. Panning can't do it on its own because the reflections off a room's walls are critical to how our brains perceive position in space.

@pedro said:
    It works if you have slightly different takes, and make a sub-mix.
    If it is the same exact sound, it doesn’t work as much, but I was thinking in terms of the techniques used to double vocals, or making basses and leads really wide

• edited October 2018

@brice said:
    @Cib have you seen this yet? Not for iOS but I think it’s gonna be worth looking into, and it has features that relate to this discussion as a theme. Plus, your buddy is narrating the video :D

Hah, sure! I will demo it for sure. But i have enough reverbs already. But the GUI and sound from the demo are really good so far. And yes, Dan is the man :)
    I like plate reverbs. My favorite (even when very limited) the reverb module inside P900. Sooo good.
    But this might sound as good but has a million features more.
    It‘s actually also cheap for a desktop plug-in with this amount of features.
    But since i own Falcon i might wait if they add it there in limited form as well. UVI makes really good FX.
    But i mainly use all 2CAudio stuff. For me they are the king of reverbs, especially for extreme dense tails and some extreme sound design.
    On iOS....i would buy the UVI Plate in a heartbeat, even at the current desktop intro price.
    (I’m also waiting for a new sample library release tomorrow for which i‘m waiting for since a very long time and my plug-in money will go there).
    Pro-R is the only one i find really very good for iOS but since i use iPhone it doesn‘t matter.
    I like Logic‘s ChromaVerb even more but no iOS version in sight.

• For me this is dealt with in 2 ways.

1. Hardware Mixer settings and busses
    2. AUM

In AUM I go pretty whacko to utilize the pan / stereo and mono settings with appropriate apps and appropriate PAN SETTINGS that reflect multiple depths in conjunction with the AU Fx that accentuate the desired spatial sonic projection.

• It's a pity that's not (yet(?)) for iOS but I think you are looking for something like SPAT: https://flux.audio/project/spat-revolution/ a real-time 3D-audio mixing engine, spatialization of audio sources in 3D-space, reverberation with room effects, mulitple various output and export options, creatively inspiring working environment.

The support of Audio Units is not fully implemented yet though.

A little example can be found at the site of SOS: https://soundonsound.com/reviews/flux-ircam-tools-audio

• @bert said:
    It's a pity that's not (yet(?)) for iOS but I think you are looking for something like SPAT: https://flux.audio/project/spat-revolution/ a real-time 3D-audio mixing engine, spatialization of audio sources in 3D-space, reverberation with room effects, mulitple various output and export options, creatively inspiring working environment.

The support of Audio Units is not fully implemented yet though.

A little example can be found at the site of SOS: https://soundonsound.com/reviews/flux-ircam-tools-audio

Thank´s....i know SPAT but it costs 1.5K :o This is maybe the most advanced/feature filled thing for this case indeed. But Precedence and Breeze 2.1 works wonderful so far.....but of course that doesn´t help me on iOS.
    I could just mix on the mac but i prefer to stay inside iOS if i create with iOS apps lately.
    I´m even to lazy to connect my midi keyboard since weeks to anything :)

• edited October 2018

Just read through this thread and seems most of yall know what you need to know, and I dont have any particular info regarding how to get there on iOS, im using the platform as an instrument and ill leave mixing for the desktop.

But for anyone else that comes along this thread, that doesnt feel they have a grasp on the mechanics of this, a local studio asked me to write a blog on it some time ago.
    https://www.blueroommusicstudio.com/2d-sound-in-a-1d-system/

• @Multicellular said:
    Just read through this thread and seems most of yall know what you need to know, and I dont have any particular info regarding how to get there on iOS, im using the platform as an instrument and ill leave mixing for the desktop.

But for anyone else that comes along this thread, that doesnt feel they have a grasp on the mechanics of this, a local studio asked me to write a blog on it some time ago.
    https://www.blueroommusicstudio.com/2d-sound-in-a-1d-system/

Interesting, thank´s for the contribution. While it seems all off topic here (but not really for me since it´s about music) it´s nice to learn and share things here.
    Another example... Yeah...i´m bored :D
    First dry (at least as dry as i could get it), then each time more and more wet mix and distance added until it reach 100%.
    At the end again a dry improved thing and then the staging tool and reverb (in this case Precedence and Breeze 2.1) added. Each of the 2 layered tracks get it´s own inserts.
    You hear always 2 layered strings. When i add Precedence one is 30 degrees left and one 30 right. Just the distance change each time.
    I really like also to use sometimes 2 exact the same or slightly different sounds (synths or acoustic it doesn´t matter) and use a similar technic. It just gives a lot more depth for me. Great analog emulations like Model D or crystal clear digital synths like PPG Infinite really got some extra dimension here for me.

• Another example how you also can add a lot delay but still gives each instrument a place.
    First dry, then with a spatalization tool (i hope iOS gets one good too soon) and a reverb. Then added delay before the spatalization and reverberation. A 3 layered arp (each instance get the same settings in delay spatalization and reverb. Only different is the angle of spatalization in each:

• @Cib What’s your take on the haas processor in Kosmonaut?

• @ohwell said:
    @Cib What’s your take on the haas processor in Kosmonaut?

Don´t own Kosmonaut. Is it iPhone as well?
    While i further investigate another example with 6 layered arps in the same space with delay but different settings in the staging/spatalization. You still get all of the nice subtle delays but each instrument also have it´s own space.

• Yup Kosmonaut is universal - in true brambos style! :)

• edited November 2018

As for as overall spatialization it requires only a few tools

Front--Back: reverb/delay
    Left-Right: pan
    Up-Down: frequency/eq

The Art of Mixing by David Gibson has a few interesting pictures toward the front of the book.

Setting up send effects in AUM or the like would also help, so that all tracks use the same one (or couple) of reverbs or delays. Also saves system resources.

• @vitocorleone123 said:

The Art of Mixing by David Gibson has a few interesting pictures toward the front of the book.

Setting up send effects in AUM or the like would also help, so that all tracks use the same one (or couple) of reverbs or delays. Also saves system resources.

Not really. Not quite possible with iOS. But i would like to hear some examples. Panning doesn´t work well since you loose natural reflections and it´s more like gain panning. Binaural panning or real stereo panning might be better but it´s still not the same.
    In general i would agree with the rest but it´s such a complex theme and there are good tools which handles that all.
    While it might works not bad with synths it totally fails on iOS for orchestra things.
    But that is also because it´s better to use close mics and as dry as possible and here there isn´t much choice on iOS.
    Of course it´s all possible on iOS but it mostly sounds terrible to me.
    The more you add the more unnatural and muddy it sounds on iOS. But maybe i just can´t do it.
    I would like to be proven wrong with some audio examples.

• @Cib said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

Not really. Not quite possible with iOS. But i would like to hear some examples. Panning doesn´t work well since you loose natural reflections and it´s more like gain panning. Binaural panning or real stereo panning might be better but it´s still not the same.
    In general i would agree with the rest but it´s such a complex theme and there are good tools which handles that all.
    While it might works not bad with synths it totally fails on iOS for orchestra things.
    But that is also because it´s better to use close mics and as dry as possible and here there isn´t much choice on iOS.
    Of course it´s all possible on iOS but it mostly sounds terrible to me.
    The more you add the more unnatural and muddy it sounds on iOS. But maybe i just can´t do it.
    I would like to be proven wrong with some audio examples.

I was just giving general mixing guidance, which I guess wasn't specific enough to your use case. I'd consider going over to VI-control forums and seeing if there's anything or anyone that can help you. Yes, if you're trying to pan a stereo signal than basic panning doesn't help.

I wouldn't expect any tools to solve your issue on iOS anytime in the near future, unfortunately.