Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• If it's another bloody subscription program, I'll stick with Affinity Photo. I'm still rockin' CS5 on my Mac... refused to go subscription!

• Hmm, I wonder if Creative Cloud subscribers will get it in their existing bundle?

• @sch said:
    If it's another bloody subscription program, I'll stick with Affinity Photo.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Affinity Photo does the job for me anyway - on iPad and desktop.

• Ncew Apple Pencil coming out so probably connected with that.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Ncew Apple Pencil coming out so probably connected with that.

A new Apple Pencil? I wonder what’s different about it..

• @MonzoPro said:

@sch said:
    If it's another bloody subscription program, I'll stick with Affinity Photo.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Affinity Photo does the job for me anyway - on iPad and desktop.

That’s what I’m feeling. Although it’s exciting, it’s a bit late to the game. I’m really getting into the Affinity apps and they have the added benefit of not being subscription based. I’m also not sure whether Photoshop for iOS can hold up against Procreate + Affinity apps.. I’ve kinda got those bases covered.

If Photoshop for iPad has a timeline and gif export for animation purposes (like on the desktop) I’d be quite tempted as that’s a gap that I need filled on iPad..

• @Keenan said:

@Jumpercollins said:

From what I've seen so far, the main diff is the proximity pairing.

• @sch said:

@Keenan said:

@Jumpercollins said:

From what I've seen so far, the main diff is the proximity pairing.

Not overly exciting tbh.. if it worked with iPhones that would be something to get excited about... or Apple Paintbrush, I would buy it.

• Of course it will be subscription crap.
    Affinity is doing the job for me too.
    I hope that one day this subscription model shit will fade out eventually- probably not :(

• It’s Too late for me - I earn my pennies as a Designer and pay for the full CC subscription. I am expect that this will be part of the package - so I will get it for free. BUT when I retire (yes I am that old) I will still want to edit photos on my iPad but will have stopped paying for my CC sub. Hence I will be using Affinity Photo which I have already paid for. It does most things that PS does, some better. It will definitely work for me.

This highlights one of the big issues with subscription apps - what happens when your circumstances change - you’re left with zilch.

• @ageezz said:
    It’s Too late for me - I earn my pennies as a Designer and pay for the full CC subscription. I am expect that this will be part of the package - so I will get it for free. BUT when I retire (yes I am that old) I will still want to edit photos on my iPad but will have stopped paying for my CC sub. Hence I will be using Affinity Photo which I have already paid for. It does most things that PS does, some better. It will definitely work for me.

This highlights one of the big issues with subscription apps - what happens when your circumstances change - you’re left with zilch.

I’m fond of my CC sub, use PS, ID, Premiere, AI, Spark and others, BUT you highlight an excellent point about a post-retirement world....

• I still have photoshop touch on my old iPad 2, I don’t know why they removed it from the App Store, it wasn’t perfect but it was pretty decent. I’m using Affinity designer and photo these days. I don’t know if I’d buy the upcoming photoshop because of how they removed photoshop touch so quickly after it’s release.

• I think in the case of Photoshop, the subscription route is better. $20.99/month on the annual plan that's paid monthly, and $31.99/month for the strictly month-to-month plan. Sounds way better than paying $999 straight out of pocket not including paid upgrades, right? It'd take roughly 2.5 years to reach $999 on the strictly month-to-month plan and a little under 4 years to reach $999 on the annual monthly paid plan. And, I don't think that $999 came with 100GB cloud storage factored into its price either. Not bad pricing at all if you're a Photoshop user.

Then again, there's Affinity Photo and Designer. Affinity is a company which prides itself on never being subscription-based. For artists, there's also ProCreate and Sketchclub too. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I think in the case of Photoshop, the subscription route is better. $20.99/month on the annual plan that's paid monthly, and $31.99/month for the strictly month-to-month plan. Sounds way better than paying $999 straight out of pocket not including paid upgrades, right? It'd take roughly 2.5 years to reach $999 on the strictly month-to-month plan and a little under 4 years to reach $999 on the annual monthly paid plan. And, I don't think that $999 came with 100GB cloud storage factored into its price either. Not bad pricing at all if you're a Photoshop user.

Then again, there's Affinity Photo and Designer. Affinity is a company which prides itself on never being subscription-based. For artists, there's also ProCreate and Sketchclub too. :)

Price wise the argument could be made that it is indeed more cost-effective to subscribe—at least for some. But for those making a living with Adobe's applications the painful and frustrating reality is that we're essentially renting our work.

• edited October 2018

@Strizbiz They removed it because they wanted to turn it into 3 completely separate apps.....bright minds.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I think in the case of Photoshop, the subscription route is better. $20.99/month on the annual plan that's paid monthly, and $31.99/month for the strictly month-to-month plan. Sounds way better than paying $999 straight out of pocket not including paid upgrades, right? It'd take roughly 2.5 years to reach $999 on the strictly month-to-month plan and a little under 4 years to reach $999 on the annual monthly paid plan. And, I don't think that $999 came with 100GB cloud storage factored into its price either. Not bad pricing at all if you're a Photoshop user.

BTW the 'Photography Plan' is a much better deal than 'Single App' if you don't care about cloud storage...

• agreed procreate and affinity photo and illustrator got me covered. plus the added benifit of not dealing with adobes cloud environment restrictions and monthly
    fees

• It’s good news for iOS, hope the other apps are brought on as well. Will be interesting to see how the subscription is handled. Presumably it’ll be covered by the cloud subscription, but will they add an iOS only subscription option as well...

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

You forget the most important point. If you buy software you can you use it for years. With the Adobe subscription model you loose all the programs if you don't pay. Even worse some Adobe software uses Adobe formats you cannoot op with other programs, so you loose even more than that.

• Yes, for those of us who already pay the ‘Adobe Tax’ on the desktop, this would be a nice addition if it comes with the bundle. But like others, I’m already comfortable with Affinity Designer/Photo, Procreate, etc. And I’m guessing an iPad version of Photoshop isn’t going to be more feature rich than Affinity Photo. (I’m fairly astonished how much they’ve crammed into that app).

• @greengrocer said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

You forget the most important point. If you buy software you can you use it for years.

Until the latest version of iOS screws the app up. :lol: On a computer it makes more sense to bitch about the subscription. That said, I have Affinity Photo and Designer for years to come. :lol: Cheers.

• edited October 2018

I bought two licenses of Photoshop CS6 about five years ago right before they scrapped standalone licenses and am kind of glad I did. Psychologically, for software that I don't expect/need updates I would rather pay n forget. I would still be fine with a ten year old version of Photoshop and the only thing I care about to come along since smart objects is stroke smoothing, kind of nice but eh.

• The ramifications will be huge for us whether we use the app or not. It lends a further air of legitimacy to iOS .

• edited October 2018

@brice said:

@Strizbiz They removed it because they wanted to turn it into 3 completely separate apps.....bright minds.

Yes this is the moment when adobe shot themselves in the foot .....A critical error in judgement.
    I still have Photoshop touch on my older IPAD, It was a pretty good app not perfect but usable.
    Then Adobe got greedy they wanted to steer everyone back to desktop and into the cloud because they felt they had
    the monopoly on graphic software. For a while Adobe did have a monopoly .......
    Then there was AFFINITY. Photo and Designer......for desktop and IOS full version and NO subscription.
    Adobe was checkmated they had to crawl back to IOS on their hands and knees with an equal offering to the IOS masses.
    They will have to lose the "subscription model"to attract Adobe defectors........
    I sincerely doubt they will lose the subscription model, without more arm twisting by Affinity who has another app
    AFFINITY Publisher currently in Beta....Adobe is on the ropes...

• @Telstar5 said:
    The ramifications will be huge for us whether we use the app or not. It lends a further air of legitimacy to iOS .

Yah I hope they nail it. Being born of mouse/keyboard I could see it being very very clunky though. Also I am highly doubtful of actions and scripting working. For simple photo editing and design it may please in general but a lot of industries use it in many different ways now. I just have a hard time with the ‘full version’ claim. Happy to be wrong though.

• Ok that link's confirmed it. They are offering individual apps to be rented as well as included in CC subscription.
    I guess they had to do that to be included in appstore so Apple can take their cut etc.

• Never will buy a subscription for an application accept for cloud storage space.

• I don't know of any evidence that Adobe "shot themselves in the foot" due to subscriptions. Personally, I feel that if they're including a real version of Photoshop for iOS that is part of their subscription plans, then they're making a serious commitment. If it's the usual one-time few bucks and free updates for another iOS app, then it's likely not worth bothering with considering what's already available. I no longer use them professionally, but I'm still dedicated to some Adobe products. If the graphics industry and educational centers can work with industry standard apps on iPads, it's going to bring new customers to the platform. I doubt Adobe is counting on masses of typical iOS users to subscribe.