Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

thinking of getting new iPad Pro next week. What to consider since I'm getting it for music?

I'm curious what I should look out for considering wether to get a new iPad Pro with USB-C connector instead of Lightning. I see their release seem imminent.

The first thing I notice is that I'll need some fancy adapter to hook it up to my older iConnectMIDI 2+. I googled for Lightning female to USB-C male and nothing came up. I already have a 12pin to lightning adapter on the iConnectMIDI2+ so this would add yet another!

I'm thinking I would only use audio through the main connector port so if I can also get USB-C earbuds, I'll be set.

Am I missing any other potential complicating factors?

Should I get the older model iPad Pro instead?

Comments

• Wait it out until they release. If the new one doesn't fit your needs then the current one will be cheaper.

• @Jocphone said:
    Wait it out until they release. If the new one doesn't fit your needs then the current one will be cheaper.

Yeah +1 this, I'd wait....

• @icsleepers said:

@Jocphone said:
    Wait it out until they release. If the new one doesn't fit your needs then the current one will be cheaper.

Me three.

• @rthr said:

@icsleepers said:

@Jocphone said:

Me three.

+4

• Has anyone seen any specs on what will be offered for internal RAM (is it still 4GB?) and max SSD (still 512GB?).

I am constantly amazed and disappointed that gen after gen of these devices doesn't have an SD port.

• thanks everyone! Most helpful advice and appreciate the cable link @echoopera

• I am still trying to figure out wether I can even use my iConnectMIDI2+ with the new Pros if they do come with a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port. I don't see that DJ TechTools has the adapter I would need.

• @gkillmaster said:
    I am still trying to figure out wether I can even use my iConnectMIDI2+ with the new Pros if they do come with a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port. I don't see that DJ TechTools has the adapter I would need.

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Printer-Compatible-MacBook-Printers/dp/B012V563B6

• @Liquidmantis said:

@gkillmaster said:
    I am still trying to figure out wether I can even use my iConnectMIDI2+ with the new Pros if they do come with a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port. I don't see that DJ TechTools has the adapter I would need.

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Printer-Compatible-MacBook-Printers/dp/B012V563B6

Thanks so much! Yeh, I see now. Much appreciated!

• @gkillmaster, Plenty of slightly used Pros could come on the market after the release. You might consider that. I bought a 90 day old Pro2 at 30% off with full warranty.

• edited October 2018

+1 @LinearLineman my new pro 2, 10'5, should be at home tomorrow...
    I have a pro 12' 1st gen in very good condition to sell... :)

• @gkillmaster said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@gkillmaster said:

Yeah, the transition to USB C is a bit annoying in needing different cables and hybrid solutions, but in theory it's going to be very consumer friendly in the longer term:

• Unidirectional cables with reversible connectors
    • Higher throughput
    • Higher power
    • Getting out of dongle hell
    • MacBooks can use any port to charge, allowing charging from either side (sounds trivial but it's very convenient)
  • @Liquidmantis said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@gkillmaster said:

Yeah, the transition to USB C is a bit annoying in needing different cables and hybrid solutions, but in theory it's going to be very consumer friendly in the longer term:

• Unidirectional cables with reversible connectors
    • Higher throughput
    • Higher power
    • Getting out of dongle hell
    • MacBooks can use any port to charge, allowing charging from either side (sounds trivial but it's very convenient)

Great to know! thanks!

• @sch said:
    Has anyone seen any specs on what will be offered for internal RAM (is it still 4GB?) and max SSD (still 512GB?).

I am constantly amazed and disappointed that gen after gen of these devices doesn't have an SD port.

I am constantly amazed how people would need more than 512GB. Are you editing movies on that thing? How do you fill it up?

• @rthr said:

@sch said:
    Has anyone seen any specs on what will be offered for internal RAM (is it still 4GB?) and max SSD (still 512GB?).

I am constantly amazed how people would need more than 512GB. Are you editing movies on that thing? How do you fill it up?

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

• @rthr said:

Apps like Auria Pro at 9.92 GB
    Luma Fusion currently at 7.62 GB
    Photos 3.21 GB
    Affinity Photo 2.95 GB
    Beathawk 2.92 GB
    Garageband 2.48 GB
    Gadget 2.39 GB
    Music 55.03 GB
    Sampletank 1.62 GB
    Books 1.46 GB
    I've currently got 88.3GB used of 128 GB. If I'm buying a new iPad, I want it to be provisioned for the future.

• @audiobussy said:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

Thanks for being completely out of context.

I was talking about the state of the iPad and its ‘limitations‘ right now.

• edited October 2018

@sch said:

I've currently got 88.3GB used of 128 GB. If I'm buying a new iPad, I want it to be provisioned for the future.

Sure, that’s also why I bought a 128 GB Air 2 a couple of years ago. But like you, it turns out I still have plenty of space left.

Hence the question...

• There is a new iPad next week?

• As of yet unknown.

• @Cib said:
    There is a new iPad next week?

rumors say sometime in October, probably near the end of October

• @rthr said:

@sch said:

Sure, that’s also why I bought a 128 GB Air 2 a couple of years ago. But like you, it turns out I still have plenty of space left.

Hence the question...

I have over 1 terrabyte of samples libraries I have purchased. Being able to carry them all on the idevice would be splendid.

• Gonekrazy? 😉

But yeah, I know what you mean. It's my main waste of space on the Mac.

• While we're on the subject of samples: crossing my fingers for something like Loopcloud on the iPad. Awesome to not have everything on device and the browser is amazing.

I'd love to get rid of the old haystack.

• I could my 64gb iPad 4x with just apps. Then take into account music, video, samples etc etc, 512gb is probably too small for never running low. 256gb will be my next one as Apple charge way too much for their storage.

• 64gb of apps ?
    Either those developers need to learn a bit more about optimising, or you have so many apps that you never actually make music but just spend your entire time opening apps lol.

• Apple today sent out invites for an upcoming October 30th event set to be held in Brooklyn.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/18/apple-logos-invites-october/

Almost here...

• Looks like iPad and the new pencil will be the focus. I wish they would open the pencil also for use on their trackpads. Only Apple can say that all works great together but doing the opposite with their products.

• @Turntablist said:
    64gb of apps ?
    Either those developers need to learn a bit more about optimising, or you have so many apps that you never actually make music but just spend your entire time opening apps lol.

64gb could be less than 10 apps!