Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Usb vs 5 pin midi?

Finding connecting hardware syths to ipad via usb rather finicky. Works right one time and the next its not. Finding myself playing the unpluging and repowering game to get it operating right, which works, but its annoying.
Anyone else?
Is 5 pin midi better?
-thx

Comments

• I like the 5-pin approach for a couple reasons:

Most devices have MIDI OUT, IN and THRU so you can stack a couple devices and get them into the iPad with 5-PIN

5-PIN is easy to convert to a bluetooth device using the Yamaha MD-BT01 so you can run wireless between controllers/synths and the iPad. The latency is not too bad. Nothing like the lag time with audio that buffers up 1/4th of a second.

I use the Korg MIDIPlug which accepts 5-pin MIDI IN and also gets the audio out of the iPad over the lightning port, offers a headphone volume knob, accepts a mini-USB power source to keep the iPad running 24x7 and has 2 1/4" Line outs which I run into my Casio PX560 with speakers so the iPad is an extension of the Stage Piano setup with powered speakers.

I use the USB with Camera Adapter and I really don't recall any issues using it either but I thought I'd mention these other details with 5-PIN.

• Happy user using both with no problems.
    If it disconnect from usb, and you're using an official Apple CCK3, might be your sound card, your usb hub, your usb wires...or a midi controller getting old.

• @breilly said:
    Finding connecting hardware syths to ipad via usb rather finicky. Works right one time and the next its not. Finding myself playing the unpluging and repowering game to get it operating right, which works, but its annoying.
    Anyone else?
    Is 5 pin midi better?
    -thx

+1 for Bluetooth MIDI.
    The issues you have might also be caused by a dirty Lightning connector on your iPad. A little bit of dust at the wrong place can be enough to cause such issues.

• edited October 2018

@breilly said:
    Anyone else?
    Is 5 pin midi better?
    -thx

I wonder if it is particular devices or apps or even hubs. I have not had issues with iPad and usb midi. Use a Vantec hub, Anker before that ((worked fine but couldnt charge the iPad (i should have better checked the mAs)). Akai keys and pads. And a Minitaur.

I also sometimes send midi out thru 5 pin thru the iRig Duo to a Monologue, SubPhatty, and Mother32. Those also work with no problem, but I dont do that every day.

• Awesome replys, will try a few things out, thx!