Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Volt for IOS - how to transpose?

Not seeing how to edit the oscillator or patch itself to be able to transpose - is that possible?

Comments

• That's usually a MIDI sequencer/keyboard or DAW/host program's job. I can't recall any synths off the top of my head that will do a -12 to 12 semitone, for example, transposition.

• @oat_phipps said:
    That's usually a MIDI sequencer/keyboard or DAW/host program's job. I can't recall any synths off the top of my head that will do a -12 to 12 semitone, for example, transposition.

Are you serious?

• it's actually super common for most synth engines in ios as well as every physical keyboard out there to have the ability to 1) transpose, 2) simply set the semi tones of an oscillator to a different tone or semi-tone - I just can't seem to find it in Volt. no manual or online help I can find either.

• @sdesign said:

@oat_phipps said:
    That's usually a MIDI sequencer/keyboard or DAW/host program's job. I can't recall any synths off the top of my head that will do a -12 to 12 semitone, for example, transposition.

Are you serious?

Yeah, I'm not trying to give the guy bum information. But other than oscillator tuning knobs I honestly can't think of any that will do a straight transposition like OP is asking. Maybe it's because I haven't usually looked. So correct me if I'm wrong

• edited October 2018

I thinks that what he means, there is no oscillator tuning. I guess a synth with only one oscillator doesn’t really need it but it is common to have it even with the most basic one osc monosynths

• edited October 2018

@jasonpeter said:
    Not seeing how to edit the oscillator or patch itself to be able to transpose - is that possible?

hey there, maybe I can help. Are you looking for keyboard transpose where you could latch a chord and transpose that? Or is it the oscillator detune you're looking for?

Keyboard transpose isn't possible at the moment but it's on the list for future updates. As for osc detune, there is only is one main osc per voice which cannot be detuned. However, in order to still allow for classic 2 osc sounds you can actually detune the sub oscillator and use that like a second osc.

Sub detune ranges from 0 to 7 semi tones and the octave control let's you bring the sub up to the same octave.

So for a classic detuned 2 osc patch you would set the sub octave to 0 (so they're both playing the same octave), then dial in the desired amount of beating via the sub detune control.

If you set the sub octave to 0 and turn up the detune control you'll get the main osc + the sub playing a fifth above the main.

Hope that helps.

• @ka010 said:

@jasonpeter said:

hey there, maybe I can help. Are you looking for keyboard transpose where you could latch a chord and transpose that? Or is it the oscillator detune you're looking for?

Keyboard transpose isn't possible at the moment but it's on the list for future updates. As for osc detune, there is only is one main osc per voice which cannot be detuned. However, in order to still allow for classic 2 osc sounds you can actually detune the sub oscillator and use that like a second osc.

Sub detune ranges from 0 to 7 semi tones and the octave control let's you bring the sub up to the same octave.

So for a classic detuned 2 osc patch you would set the sub octave to 0 (so they're both playing the same octave), then dial in the desired amount of beating via the sub detune control.

If you set the sub octave to 0 and turn up the detune control you'll get the main osc + the sub playing a fifth above the main.

Hope that helps.

Out of interested, why did you limit it to one osc?

• @sdesign said:
    Out of interested, why did you limit it to one osc?

Well, my overall goal for this one was to strike the right balance between being easy to use yet powerful enough to create a wide palette of classic sounds.

So, in order to achieve this going with a single osc + detunable sub seemed to be a good compromise as it allows for most things a dual osc voice can do but requires less controls therefore making the overall instrument easier to use.

If you look closely you'll find many more compromises aiding this design philosophy like having a fixed mod matrix with dedicated controls for each routing or the LFO which can keytrack the sub allowing for complex FM patches even tho it is just a single osc voice.