Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Perform ANYWHERE on battery power ....my Busking Ipad rig with endless possibilities

I have yet to busk .... but I have performed in a bar with a band and live drummer with this rig and it was loud enough that I didn’t need to be run through the PA .

Comments

• Awesome use of your tools. It's great to see you in the video without any mask too. You have complete command of the guitar and I loved hearing the various tone settings you use and seeing what your hands are doing to create those sounds.

There's a sax teacher in Monterey that espouses using minimal movements to play each note and your right hand seems to to that to perfection. Your left seems to use a lot of percussive attacks at times but I'm sure you can also use minimal motions too if the style called for it. Very inspiring. Good playing makes me want to practice.

Have you watched all the @connactic guitar videos? He's got great studio quality chops.

• Top stuff!

You get such clean tracking with MIDI guitar 2. It doesn't seem to like my vintage strat...

I'm wondering if it prefers high output pickups like yours or just doesn't like single coils.

If you don't mind could you post a screenshot of your settings in MIDI guitar? PS with the CCK USB3 thingy you will be able to charge the ipad as well.

• edited October 2018

@BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

You get such clean tracking with MIDI guitar 2. It doesn't seem to like my vintage strat...

I'm wondering if it prefers high output pickups like yours or just doesn't like single coils.

If you don't mind could you post a screenshot of your settings in MIDI guitar? PS with the CCK USB3 thingy you will be able to charge the ipad as well.

Thanks ! the only thing I changed was I set the tuning settings to match my guitar , which is tuned to E flat , so each string a half step down. So here is the trick : you have to be completely conscious of your muting technique . The slightest ringing of adjacent strings will screw up the tracking at least when you were playing solos. It’s designed to be a polyphonic tracker when you do chords .

There’s two things you can do if this is difficult for you because part of the art of guitar is what it doesn’t play as much is what it does play. Anybody that’s ever picked up a distorted guitar soon realizes it’s a snarling beast that needs to be tamed in order the sound halfway beautiful.

I’ve spent a lot and I’m in a lot of time focusing on muting all strings other than the ones I play . So two things you can do in the meantime, one Is to wrap a hair tie or some Type of cloth right behind the nut that acts as a dampener. This should help a lot but you can improve your technique by sticking to one or two strings and practice keeping all the others silent. Then move up two strings and do the same thing and keep practicing trying to keep all of the strings silent that are not being played .

Lastly if you put it in the polyphonic mode you have to worry more about muting than if you put it in monophonic mode but it will never play more than one note at a time so I leave it in polyphonic mode , the default most of the time . I hope this helps . Damn voice to text makes me have edit like crazy after the fact ... lol

• @BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

I forgot to ask...Do you know a manufacture that the splitter cable works for sure because I ordered a couple that were total garbage and my phone and tablet both said your device is not supported...

I use passive pickups by DiMarzio , a Norton in the bridge and a Bluesbucker in the kneck position. I’m an endorsee.

• Yeah man! I busked for 14 years in the streets of NY. That’s a LONG WAY from the “mouse” amps that were my staples .. Great playing and presentation as usual not to mention the wealth of information.

• edited October 2018

@McDtracy said:
    Awesome use of your tools. It's great to see you in the video without any mask too. You have complete command of the guitar and I loved hearing the various tone settings you use and seeing what your hands are doing to create those sounds.

There's a sax teacher in Monterey that espouses using minimal movements to play each note and your right hand seems to to that to perfection. Your left seems to use a lot of percussive attacks at times but I'm sure you can also use minimal motions too if the style called for it. Very inspiring. Good playing makes me want to practice.

Have you watched all the @connactic guitar videos? He's got great studio quality chops.

Thanks man! I like to inspire and be inspired . That’s why I’m a musician . I’ve been playing about 37 years and more than half the time I was mostly heavy-handed both left and right, but I’ve learned to be economic when I need to be, especially if I want to Play fast for a while, then I wouldn’t have much endurance if I played heavy-handed the whole time. I’ve been inspired by some great players though,Who I knew personally, Who insisted the guitar tone as more in the hands then in the guitar itself. That’s a pretty heavy concept to wrap your head around and believe, but I’ve come to find it’s true. It matters a little what kind of guitar I play, my hands will adapt and adjust to make it sound like my tone. I know that seems kind of woo woo , but the truth is most people who are skilled at something don’t exactly know how or why and have not analyzed themselves. It’s through constant repetition over a long period of time where our brain makes micro adjustments and contributes ultimately to the end result of who we are as a player. All I know is the more i play , the more everything kind of just falls in its place.

I used to think there were tricks and keys to the kingdom of Shreddery...The secret is simply miles walked. You can search for shortcuts but ultimately you have to take the full journey to become a journeyman. That’s really all there is to it. Generally if you’re not improving as fast as you like the solution is to practice more and sacrifice time doing other things. You can’t have it all in life. In order to be good on guitar I had to give up a lot of social activities that my friends participated in. In hindsight I don’t really mind ...I got what I wanted and they got what they wanted. It’s a matter of desire and priority. In many cases people simply don’t have the time in their life to fulfill this desire and make it a priority, so I’m not implying laziness on anyone’s part that doesn’t have a luxery to put in the time I did. Probably the single most thing that has contributed to me being a good player is because I lost my foot at an early age I was forced to sit in one place more often and to keep from being bored I play guitar. I also spent hardly any time in the workforce. So I don’t own a house And I don’t have a retirement fund. Like I said you have to sacrifice somewhere. I also chose to have a vasectomy at 38, because guitar And music were a higher priority to me. Most women want kids, and therefore I don’t have a life partner. It’s not that I won’t ever, but again it’s such sacrifices that contributed to who I am as a musician.

• edited October 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    Yeah man! I busked for 14 years in the streets of NY. That’s a LONG WAY from the “mouse” amps that were my staples .. Great playing and presentation as usual not to mention the wealth of information.

Well then you can be my busking sensei. I’ve always wanted to do it because I figure if I can command an audience and entertain them, that doesnt want to be entertained I may be that much closer to the goal of master entertainer. Busking takes balls. I haven’t had the courage most of my life. I’ve never thought I was very good...just trying to be. I thought I would be one day but I still haven’t decided if I’m really all that good :) it’s hard . The guitar doesn’t always want to cooperate ...lol

• @bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

Thanks ! the only thing I changed was I set the tuning settings to match my guitar , which is tuned to E flat , so each string a half step down. So here is the trick : you have to be completely conscious of your muting technique . The slightest ringing of adjacent strings will screw up the tracking at least when you were playing solos. It’s designed to be a polyphonic tracker when you do chords . There’s two things you can do if this is difficult for you because part of the art of guitar is what it doesn’t play as much is what it does play. Anybody that’s ever picked up at the store to guitar soon realizes it’s a snarling beast that needs to be tamed and order the sound halfway beautiful. I’ve spent a lot and I’m in a lot of time focusing on muting all strings other than the ones on plane. So two things you can do in the meantime, one Is to wrap a hair tie or some Type of cloth right behind the nut that acts as a dampener. This should help a lot but you can improve your mood and technique by sticking to one or two strings and practice and keeping all the others silent. Then move up to strings and do the same thing and keep practicing trying to keep all of the strings silent that are not being played . Lastly if you put it in the polyphonic mode you have to worry more about meeting then if you put it in monophonic mode but it will never play more than one note at a time so I leave it in polyphonic mode , the default most of the time . I hope this helps

Interesting. I didn't think it's my technique as I used to play heavy/shred styles (think Decapitated LOL) when I was younger. I can still play really clean 16ths above 180bpm but my style is more Zappa/prog these days. But I will try muting a little more, thank you for the screenshot and tips!

I'm thinking it's single coils that are the problem. That 60hz hum is getting picked up as notes in MIDI guitar. If I play leads I have no issues, I just noticed you got really good tracking when you were using that arpeggiator and playing chords.

As tracking is best on the bridge pickup, I think I might throw a noiseless pickup or minibucker in the bridge of one of my guitars. Dimarzio are great pickups, I used to love the Super 2 they made.

You need to use the official Apple CCK to USB3 dongle, the 3rd party ones won't work. Total arsehole move by Apple, Lightning is so bad!

Like this one: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

• That is a mean looking pair of amps! Loving your guitar tones too. Are they available on the share cloud?

• @BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

I think good pickup output is definitely a very important element when it comes to tracking.

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    That is a mean looking pair of amps! Loving your guitar tones too. Are they available on the share cloud?

Thanks . I’ll find a way to share them and send you a link ! And I’ll post it below my video for anyone else who wants them .

• @bedheadproducer said:

@AlterEgo_UK said:
    That is a mean looking pair of amps! Loving your guitar tones too. Are they available on the share cloud?

Thanks . I’ll find a way to share them and send you a link ! And I’ll post it below my video for anyone else who wants them .

Thanks very much @bedheadproducer 😀

• @BroCoast said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

Thanks ! the only thing I changed was I set the tuning settings to match my guitar , which is tuned to E flat , so each string a half step down. So here is the trick : you have to be completely conscious of your muting technique . The slightest ringing of adjacent strings will screw up the tracking at least when you were playing solos. It’s designed to be a polyphonic tracker when you do chords . There’s two things you can do if this is difficult for you because part of the art of guitar is what it doesn’t play as much is what it does play. Anybody that’s ever picked up at the store to guitar soon realizes it’s a snarling beast that needs to be tamed and order the sound halfway beautiful. I’ve spent a lot and I’m in a lot of time focusing on muting all strings other than the ones on plane. So two things you can do in the meantime, one Is to wrap a hair tie or some Type of cloth right behind the nut that acts as a dampener. This should help a lot but you can improve your mood and technique by sticking to one or two strings and practice and keeping all the others silent. Then move up to strings and do the same thing and keep practicing trying to keep all of the strings silent that are not being played . Lastly if you put it in the polyphonic mode you have to worry more about meeting then if you put it in monophonic mode but it will never play more than one note at a time so I leave it in polyphonic mode , the default most of the time . I hope this helps

Interesting. I didn't think it's my technique as I used to play heavy/shred styles (think Decapitated LOL) when I was younger. I can still play really clean 16ths above 180bpm but my style is more Zappa/prog these days. But I will try muting a little more, thank you for the screenshot and tips!

I'm thinking it's single coils that are the problem. That 60hz hum is getting picked up as notes in MIDI guitar. If I play leads I have no issues, I just noticed you got really good tracking when you were using that arpeggiator and playing chords.

As tracking is best on the bridge pickup, I think I might throw a noiseless pickup or minibucker in the bridge of one of my guitars. Dimarzio are great pickups, I used to love the Super 2 they made.

You need to use the official Apple CCK to USB3 dongle, the 3rd party ones won't work. Total arsehole move by Apple, Lightning is so bad!

Like this one: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

I apologize if ASSumed you didn't have good muting chops...lol. Fret board antics aren't as popular as they once were,(all the cool kids want to be DJs now) and there aren't a lot of guitarists on here compared to people who use synths exclusively ...I should have known I'm not the only misfit on here! lol. Thanks for the cable info. I just ordered one on amazon. Oh, btw, since you were formerly into metal...this is my newest metal project, with my friend Fred Marshall on vocals. These are pre-production, but still good enough to show off his voice, if you like melodic metal singing VS Cannibal Corpse style singing.
    www.soundcloud.com/9thofnever

• @bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

I apologize if ASSumed you didn't have good muting chops...lol. Fret board antics aren't as popular as they once were,(all the cool kids want to be DJs now) and there aren't a lot of guitarists on here compared to people who use synths exclusively ...I should have known I'm not the only misfit on here! lol. Thanks for the cable info. I just ordered one on amazon. Oh, btw, since you were formerly into metal...this is my newest metal project, with my friend Fred Marshall on vocals. These are pre-production, but still good enough to show off his voice, if you like melodic metal singing VS Cannibal Corpse style singing.

Cool! I'm not big on the NWOBHM style singing really (no offence.) It's all about the riffs if I'm in the mood for heavy music. But it's quality stuff, for pre-production it's ultra tight.

Don't apologize, I never practice anymore so I could do with some fine tuning. But I borrowed a guitar with humbuckers tonight and it's a massive difference. So low output single coils aren't the best option it seems.

• edited October 2018

@BroCoast said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

Cool! I'm not big on the NWOBHM style singing really (no offence.) It's all about the riffs if I'm in the mood for heavy music. But it's quality stuff, for pre-production it's ultra tight.

Don't apologize, I never practice anymore so I could do with some fine tuning. But I borrowed a guitar with humbuckers tonight and it's a massive difference. So low output single coils aren't the best option it seems.

No offense taken . It’s a specific taste for sure . I acquired it in my youth and I still enjoy it from time to time yet my current palette is obviously much broader and I don’t feel the need for “the metal” to spill over into everything , but I did work to get good at it so it’s also hard to completely set aside and give up either . I also have a cheesy 80s hard rock side . I’m aware that cheese , while fun at times , seems to get old and moldy very quickly if not put back on ice :). Also as far as metal goes...it’s an angry genre and I’m just not as pissed about life as I was at 17...lol
    Almost forgot...would love to here some of your recent music when you get a chance

• @BroCoast I can confirm that higher output humbuckers track better than low output SCs. Tried a bunch of combos and this was always what I found, regardless of pickup position.

• @bedheadproducer said:

I have yet to busk .... but I have performed in a bar with a band and live drummer with this rig and it was loud enough that I didn’t need to be run through the PA .

Wow! Just wow!!

• Can you use the 2 Ion Explorer Outback 2's with Bluetooth and play predictably? I'd assume the bluetooth latency makes accurate live playing impossible and not buy anything but a cabled speaker so your rig could save a lot of money over the Roland Cube Street alternatives for battery driven outdoors.

• @bedheadproducer : Ios still doesn’t have a good guitar strumming app besides Jam Meastro which is really good. Just a thought in case you had any coding experience .

• @Telstar5, Thor has a strumming feature, don't know if that helps.

Great video, @bedheadproducer. You are on the frequency now, and, darn it, you seem like a nice guy.

• Thor has a strumming feature? As in guitar like?

• I believe it does. Wait, I will get a screen shot.

• Came along a new device by Koma: Strom Mobile – Portable Power Solution

'Strom Mobile is a portable power solution for music makers and everyone who needs reliable voltage source at all times! The Strom Mobile transforms the output voltage of USB power banks (5V DC) to either 9V or 12V DC to power any (music) device running on those voltages. There are two independent channels which can output individually set voltages. The Strom Mobile includes an input current feedback system to save the user from exceeding the maximum output current of the USB powerbank in use.'

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=strom-mobile-portable-power-solution

• The strum ribbon is on the right, @Telstar5

• @McDtracy said:
    Can you use the 2 Ion Explorer Outback 2's with Bluetooth and play predictably? I'd assume the bluetooth latency makes accurate live playing impossible and not buy anything but a cabled speaker so your rig could save a lot of money over the Roland Cube Street alternatives for battery driven outdoors.

Here is what you can do with Bluetooth, you can play along to prerecorded audio . At the very end of the video when I’m in my back yard , I’m streaming the new Crystal method album on one of my phones and playing along with my guitar which is running through the audiobox into a line in on the outback explores . Theoretically you don’t need a daw or a sequencer to perform to prerecorded audio ...only if you want to automate patch changes and such via midi , hands free . Many people perform to a stereo audio file like in a karaoke situation

• I don't know if this will be relevant to you, but there are different types of clean playing, and what I have noticed with Midi Guitar 2 is that some playing that sounds really clean has a little glitch that makes a difference to MG2 (at least on my guitar). Once I cleaned that up, MG2 started tracking like a dream. The issue was the timing of placing my fingers on the fretboard at precisely the same time as I strike the string. When playing through an amp, this is something that is generally not audible except on super high-gain settings.

I don't normally use such amp sounds, but when I realized that this needed tightening up, I started playing daily with a very cranked sound. After a couple of days, things were dramatically different and I stopped confusing MG2.

Might not be relevant to your sitch.

@BroCoast said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

• @espiegel123 said:
    I don't know if this will be relevant to you, but there are different types of clean playing, and what I have noticed with Midi Guitar 2 is that some playing that sounds really clean has a little glitch that makes a difference to MG2 (at least on my guitar). Once I cleaned that up, MG2 started tracking like a dream. The issue was the timing of placing my fingers on the fretboard at precisely the same time as I strike the string. When playing through an amp, this is something that is generally not audible except on super high-gain settings.

I don't normally use such amp sounds, but when I realized that this needed tightening up, I started playing daily with a very cranked sound. After a couple of days, things were dramatically different and I stopped confusing MG2.

Might not be relevant to your sitch.

@BroCoast said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

It was pretty much 100% the single coils. :)

@bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@BroCoast said:
    Top stuff!

No offense taken . It’s a specific taste for sure . I acquired it in my youth and I still enjoy it from time to time yet my current palette is obviously much broader and I don’t feel the need for “the metal” to spill over into everything , but I did work to get good at it so it’s also hard to completely set aside and give up either . I also have a cheesy 80s hard rock side . I’m aware that cheese , while fun at times , seems to get old and moldy very quickly if not put back on ice :). Also as far as metal goes...it’s an angry genre and I’m just not as pissed about life as I was at 17...lol
    Almost forgot...would love to here some of your recent music when you get a chance

Sure, I've gotta get around to making a Soundcloud account again!

• Well, we saw the dog's hair. Maybe next time the whole dog?

• Too good to consign to page 2. Back to page one with you!
    Shazaam!💥⚡️💥

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, we saw the dog's hair. Maybe next time the whole dog?

But he's the star of my "where's your head at" music video and the star wars robot and monsters keep trying to kill him. He is a 120 lb Sheppard mix that is super smart. I got him with my last fiance but when we broke up, I said"you are not taking my dog" and she said ok, cuz he had latched onto me. I have another video of him, I made since he was a puppy called Ace The Wonder Dog. I thought it was an original title, and had never heard of one before. Then I made the video and it turns out there are dozens of videos titled the exact same thing. We all had the same idea? Weird.

funny thing too.....Whenever I play this,(Yes Ace watches TV regularly and youtube. He really enjoys the Soundtest Room, Haq Attack, loved Daveypoo's video on Apesoft Apematrix, hates animal planet and on the fence about the Joe Roagan show) anyway, whenever I play this video he doesn't realize it's him in the video and starts growling and barking and won't stop until I turn it off. He absolutely hates it. He gets so upset that he has to take nap right after.