Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Powered usb hub with midi controllers and interface?

Is there anyone using this kind of setup before the usb 3.0 lightning connector? I think the usb hub I have kind of sucks. Intermittent disconnects and kinda noisy. Which one are you guys using? Anyone using usb battery?

Comments

• Sure, use it all the time. I have something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VDVCQ84, but that's overkill. Any decent powered hub will do. The main problem I have is I get buzz whenever I connect electrical power to the CCK, whether I use a hub or not. So, if I want to do any recording, I disconnect all but the CCK and power it from a regular battery bank. Totally silent then.

Just remember, whereas you can use multiple USB Midi interfaces, there can ever only be one audio interface at a time.

• I also have the same hub as @wim and it is the best one I have tried so far. Highly recommended.

• I use the battery bank on the go for no noise. You can also solve the noise by going through anything with a transformer. eg. a DI or a good preamp. Galvanic isolation!

• Using a Pluggable usb 3 hub here for my entire studio, works great and reliable enough for a professional mastering studio. I usually have my interface, two usb3 drives, push 2, my OB6, and sometimes maschine3 all running at once from the same hub.

• @wim said:
    Sure, use it all the time. I have something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VDVCQ84, but that's overkill. Any decent powered hub will do. The main problem I have is I get buzz whenever I connect electrical power to the CCK, whether I use a hub or not. So, if I want to do any recording, I disconnect all but the CCK and power it from a regular battery bank. Totally silent then.

Just remember, whereas you can use multiple USB Midi interfaces, there can ever only be one audio interface at a time.

You have an earthing issue, use an isolator like this
    http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/dual_isolator.htm

• @Turntablist said:

@wim said:
    Sure, use it all the time. I have something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VDVCQ84, but that's overkill. Any decent powered hub will do. The main problem I have is I get buzz whenever I connect electrical power to the CCK, whether I use a hub or not. So, if I want to do any recording, I disconnect all but the CCK and power it from a regular battery bank. Totally silent then.

Thanks. I tried one of those before with almost no success. I don't know what it is, and it's not always there. I do know the flourescent tubes in our kitchen contribute.

A battery pack is super easy, just as cheap and absolutely quiet. but thanks for sure for the suggestion! B)

• Got an issue whenever i hook a external monitor to my macbook, my audio monitors picks up a zizzling noise when there’s activity on the monitor (e.g. moving windows on the screen). It has all to do with no grounding in the wall socket outlet.

• edited October 2018

@[Deleted User] said:
    I also have the same hub as @wim and it is the best one I have tried so far. Highly recommended.

+1
    Got 2 of them, 5 and 4 devices plug on each of them, no noise.
    I just had a ground noise with the Novation Launchpad mini connected, but with an empty port in between the other one (so loosing 1 port) stopped this issue.
    I also make sure that the main electric line has a proper ground, with correct insulated electrical power strips.

I also make sure that my audio wire are not cheap, no adaptors 3.5/6.5 , that kind of stuffs... and not wounded with the electric wires ! (all pushed in a box, that makes things visually clean...but catastrophic for the sound...)

I still have a noise ground but it comes from a midi connection (with midi cable !) but it's because of the device itself which has no ground PSU.

Basically, every single wire needs attention to keep all system clean before going to isolator or any workaround trick that are not good omho. (they're fixing very locally one thing, in one specific case, but if you plug in other way, the problem would appear again...)

• edited October 2018

I've dabbed with powered hubs a lot and the best solution for me was to purchase Akai EIE with its built in USB hub.

It's saved me a lot of headaches over the years.

It is a bit heavy to just throw in a bag but for stationary use is great.

• @crony said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    I also have the same hub as @wim and it is the best one I have tried so far. Highly recommended.

+1
    Got 2 of them, 5 and 4 devices plug on each of them, no noise.
    I just had a ground noise with the Novation Launchpad mini connected, but with an empty port in between the other one (so loosing 1 port) stopped this issue.
    I also make sure that the main electric line has a proper ground, with correct insulated electrical power strips.

I also make sure that my audio wire are not cheap, no adaptors 3.5/6.5 , that kind of stuffs... and not wounded with the electric wires ! (all pushed in a box, that makes things visually clean...but catastrophic for the sound...)

I still have a noise ground but it comes from a midi connection (with midi cable !) but it's because of the device itself which has no ground PSU.

Basically, every single wire needs attention to keep all system clean before going to isolator or any workaround trick that are not good omho. (they're fixing very locally one thing, in one specific case, but if you plug in other way, the problem would appear again...)

I'm so used to live where I have to have everything going into a DI or a mixer with balanced outs (non negotiable for long runs.)

So I don't really consider it a workaround. But it's the same principle as the workarounds and now with modern devices and their 2 prong connections it's kind of essential IMO.

Of course wiring needs to be on point but you can be a little naughty with adapters and all that provided there is transformer isolation in play.

• edited October 2018

Using a Vantec - 7-Port Hub + 2 Smart Charging
    I had looked around for one that would charge the iPad. the 2amp slot of course runs it.

I got that one because of recommendations as to quality. And it is had no problems so far.

There are smaller ones. But note they have ones with just regular usb and ones with enough amps to charge that are not connecting for data. Of course that makes sense for most things, iPad of course is the hub destination so it doesn't need both. The charge goes thru the second slot of the Camera Kit 3.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8LW04Q/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.vantecusa.com/products_detail.php?p_id=139

• Sooo what if none of your power plugs have a ground post?

• edited October 2018

Well, that can't stop you making music, right ?...
    Now you've been warned so you know where to look if you get that kind of issue :)

Best solution would be to add ground...

• @wim said:

@Turntablist said:

@wim said:

Thanks. I tried one of those before with almost no success. I don't know what it is, and it's not always there. I do know the flourescent tubes in our kitchen contribute.

A battery pack is super easy, just as cheap and absolutely quiet. but thanks for sure for the suggestion! B)

Your earthing issue will eventually kill any PC or iPad and audio interface you connect to power. Don't take it lightly.