Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Sarcastic?

• I think Gadget is great but I find the workflow (for me) is not as smooth as Caustic. Unfortunately, Caustic is not perfect either. If I had more storage on my iPad I would definitely keep both and use as I see fit. For now I only have Caustic installed. Lately I've been using KEW and GR more than anything. Honestly, I'm looking forward to NS2. ;)

• edited October 2018

The first thing I installed on my new iPad when I was new to the iOS platform for music making two years ago, was Caustic, at the recommendation of a friend. I’d never used any software before for music making, only hardware (unless you count the very brilliant Music programs for the Playstation 1 many years ago). So I thought Caustic, and the way the sequencer worked in general, was pretty amazing, and I could see a lot of potential. But just as I was starting to explore it, someone then introduced me to Korg Gadget...mmmm....and that was the end of Caustic, for me.

• I like gadget, but caustic has some very cool features that are missing in gadget and without in-app purchases.

• @jolico said:
    I like gadget, but caustic has some very cool features that are missing in gadget and without in-app purchases.

If I could only have one it would be Caustic. It has things that Gadget doesn't have like a very nice wav editor and time-stretch. Honestly, dollar for dollar you get a lot more value out of Caustic IMHO.

• Easier to arrange things with Caustic. I also find the stock drum samples better. Gadget sounds a bit overprocessed there for my tastes. You can also do some pretty crazy things with Caustic like making generative patches. Haven't done it myself but you can check out their forums for more details.

If I could only have one I think I'd go with Caustic at this point, even though I absolutely love Gadget as well. That could change though, as I really only just got my hands on Caustic recently.

• Caustic. Gadget’s slick looking but Caustic has way more for the money. Love the modular synth!

• It’s like choosing between android and iOS lol

The answer is obvious

• edited October 2018

Plenty of Gadget videos but the Caustic ones just enable you to really step inside the app more . Pretty much seems like abandinware at this point, I wish it would continue to evolve . Hasn’t been updated in a year .

• Caustic hasn’t been updated for a year, but it can export 24bit to AudioShare. Gadget can’t.

• Touché

• Gadget just sounds better to me
    Gadget also looks better to me
    I’ve reloaded and redeleted caustic 5-6 times...I just don’t feel it I guess.:(

• edited October 2018

@jolico Gadget can export from 16 to the ridiculously high 96 bit, you just have to export to iTunes and copy it out of Files. Speaking of Files, does Caustic have files support? Nope. Case dismissed.

• Riposte.

sorry ... now I'm just trolling. I'll shut up now. Love both apps, but use Gadget more.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    @jolico Gadget can export from 16 to the ridiculously high 96 bit, you just have to export to iTunes and copy it out of Files. Speaking of Files, does Caustic have files support? Nope. Case dismissed.

Case dismissed? You’re making Caustic look better. I hate exporting to iTunes and Files is overrated when you have AudioShare.

I also used to irrationally cling to Gadget, because of paying for all those in-app purchases.

• USE IT ALL .........
    BUT Gadget wins hands down.....
    Gadget is one of the deadliest assassins on the IOS platform.

• edited October 2018

Bang for the buck = Caustic, hands down. In the $5-10 dollar range, the only thing I can think that might compete is Sunvox. A fully decked out Gadget is what, over $200 IF you buy most of the IAP on sale? I never counted and didn't buy all at once. No regrets though - it's my #1 goto song starter.

Gadget wins on having a much wider ranging sound-pallet to work with in-box (not considering what you can do with external samples) ... Caustic wins with certain genres though -- chiptunes, for instance. Though it's obviously not limited to that.

• Can you easily transition from caustic iOS to Android (ideally, put one down and pick up the other and carry on?).

• @MrSmileZ said:
    Gadget just sounds better to me
    Gadget also looks better to me
    ...I just don’t feel it I guess.:(

That’s how I feel too, Gadget is the clear winner for me. Interesting that poll shows about 80/20 in favour of Gadget but there are probably more pro-Caustic comments!

• @u0421793 said:
    Can you easily transition from caustic iOS to Android (ideally, put one down and pick up the other and carry on?).

I’ve done so between iOS and Windows. Dunno about Android,

• @wim said:

@u0421793 said:
    Can you easily transition from caustic iOS to Android (ideally, put one down and pick up the other and carry on?).

I’ve done so between iOS and Windows. Dunno about Android,

For telransfering presets you’ll need to use an FTP over a WiFi network. A pc will be required.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

Using the free Readdle Documents app you can access all of Caustic’s folders via Caustic’s built-in FTP server. And it works very well. Case re-opened.

• edited October 2018

@u0421793 said:

Yes. Caustic projects are a package that contains all elements and Caustic has a built-in FTP server.

• @anickt said:

@u0421793 said:

Yes. Caustic projects are a package that contains all elements and Caustic has a built-in FTP server.

That’s interesting. I wonder if the package could be ‘kept’ in for example Google Drive, and worked on seamlessly on iOS and then Android and back again with only saving, not moving the package anywhere or generating any other copies. In fact, I wonder if any apps allow that?

• Or how about "both, depending on the project"? Oh don't get me wrong here. Gadget has great sounds, and I can produce any genre I want to. I flow very easily within the infrastructure. However...

...Caustic has that modular synth! Also, when it comes to certain genres (especially ones with no bars/no set bpm/atonal/not based on a loop/etc), Caustic allows me to flow better. Before you say "Well mate, doesn't Caustic use loops?" Sure, and yet you can also freely sequence notes by selecting the "piano roll view" in the Sequencer window.

So indeed, I like Gadget for most everything but prefer Caustic for Experimental and other stuff too. Come to think of it, I think I might be able to get some bitchin Synthwave out of Caustic.....to be continued. :sunglasses:

• @u0421793 said:

@anickt said:

@u0421793 said:

That’s interesting. I wonder if the package could be ‘kept’ in for example Google Drive, and worked on seamlessly on iOS and then Android and back again with only saving, not moving the package anywhere or generating any other copies. In fact, I wonder if any apps allow that?

Gadget. Case re-dismissed.

• edited October 2018

@u0421793 said:

@anickt said:

@u0421793 said:

If you set up your file manager to sync to Caustic Songs folder it would work that way I believe. I have no need for that workflow so haven’t tried it. Case re-opened. :D

• @anickt said:

@u0421793 said:

@anickt said:

@u0421793 said:

If you set up your file manager to sync to Caustic Songs folder it would work that way I believe. I have no need for that workflow so haven’t tried it. Case re-opened. :D

I am recusing myself from this kangaroo court of a forum thread. If you don’t like my opinions you can sue me! >:)

• Things I like about Caustic:
    You can draw waveforms for synths.
    SFXr is built-in.
    Loads Soundfonts & FL- instruments.
    Exports 24bit directly to AudioShare.
    No in-app purchases.

Things I like about Gadget:
    Wolfsburg

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@anickt said:

@u0421793 said:

@anickt said:

@u0421793 said:

I am recusing myself from this kangaroo court of a forum thread. If you don’t like my opinions you can sue me! >:)