Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which FM AUv3 app is best?

What do you guys recommend? NFM, Phasemaker or Pixie? Any others I’ve missed?

Comments

• Phasemaker and Pixie are my go to. Not used NFM yet....an app I don’t have! I’m such a completist failure :D

• edited October 2018

Not AU but FM4 is my favorite sound-wise, but it seems to be abandoned, no updates in years. However it still works so there is hope they will keep it alive.
    FM Essential would be my next choice, but it order to get access to all of it you need to connect it to MX BK/BU hardware. I went to a music store and did this. A hassle, but worth it.
    Phasemaker sounds stellar, but not an '80s FM sound.
    KQ Dixie I just bought recently and is great because you can use DX7 patches from the net with it. Not bad sounding either. Probably best with external effects just like the original DX7. I would say the same for NFM.
    DXi is great sounding, but no AU.

• ALBALB
    edited October 2018

NFM is really good - versatile with a good range of sounds to be had. I like Phasemaker, too - the sounds always seem to present themselves well in a mix (true of FM synths in general). Neither of these are difficult to program.

The Audiokit FM Player sounds really good, and the UI is about as easy as it gets. As the name suggests, it is meant to be played, as the programming aspect is not deep (it is more of a rompler I guess). A new version appears to be on the horizon.

Never used Pixie, but am intrigued.

Many swear by KQ Dixie, but I found the preset management to be more of a head-scratcher than I was willing to deal with - YMMV.

• I cant find this Pixie? Link?

• I think they mean KQ Dixie.

• @pichi said:
    Not AU but FM4 is my favorite sound-wise, but it seems to be abandoned, no updates in years. However it still works so there is hope they will keep it alive.
    FM Essential would be my next choice, but it order to get access to all of it you need to connect it to MX BK/BU hardware. I went to a music store and did this. A hassle, but worth it.
    Phasemaker sounds stellar, but not an '80s FM sound.
    KQ Dixie I just bought recently and is great because you can use DX7 patches from the net with it. Not bad sounding either. Probably best with external effects just like the original DX7. I would say the same for NFM.
    DXi is great sounding, but no AU.

Do KQ Dixie and NFM sound similar? (with the same programs of course)

• addictive pro

• @tk32 said:
    I think they mean KQ Dixie.

Ahhhh.

• edited October 2018

@rs2000 said:
    Do KQ Dixie and NFM sound similar? (with the same programs of course)

NFM isn't a DX7 clone so you can't import DX files afaik. I think FM Essentials is closer to NFM in sound. KQ Dixie is more like Dexed VST only better. Of course they all can pull off similar sounds if you program them right.

• KQ Dixie is my fave because it's a very good emulation of DX7 and can even be used as a hardware controller for the real thing. I use it with my TX802 (rack version of the DX7 mkII)
    The others are good too though, NFM and Phasemaker are my other faves.

• Thanks guys.
    Just got me Dixie and a few bobbyblues banks, what a great little jewel from the past!

• Thanks, I think I’ll try Dixie first as it’s the cheapest and seems to be fully featured

• @tk32 said:
    I think they mean KQ Dixie.

That’s the one! Oops

• Only 'bank' that is really needed for KQ Dixie is this one :)
    http://hsjp.eu/downloads/Dexed/Dexed_cart_1.0.zip

Just drop the ZIP file into KQ Dixie using Files.app...
    Make sure to also do a copy in KQ Dixie stand alone to the area that is accessible from the AUv3.

• edited October 2018

In my opinion FM Essential, NFM and Dixie are the best FM synths on iOS.

• @Samu said:
    Only 'bank' that is really needed for KQ Dixie is this one :)
    http://hsjp.eu/downloads/Dexed/Dexed_cart_1.0.zip

Just drop the ZIP file into KQ Dixie using Files.app...
    Make sure to also do a copy in KQ Dixie stand alone to the area that is accessible from the AUv3.

I remember and followed your recent recommendation, thanks again :smiley: