Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai just dropped mpk mini play controller

http://www.akaipro.com/products/keyboard-controllers/mpk-mini-play

The ultra-portable MPK Mini Play is based on the world’s most popular midi controller—Akai Professional’s MPK Mini—but now it comes packed with 128 sounds and its own built-in speaker.

Comments

• I still believe it work won’t with iOS devices without some kind of usb hub to supply power to it. Akai always messes that part up

• And still no way to change the midi-channel without using the computer editor?!
    That's one of the main reasons why my MPK Mini Mk II is in a box...

• I'm trying to figure out who the target audience for this thing is and it's causing me physical pain.

• edited October 2018

I Bought the Akai Professional SynthStation 49 iPad controller, new, when i first discovered it was possible to make music with an iPad.. It didn't work very well at all & the build quality was rubbish . Nearly put me off the whole iPad music making thing. Fortunately i am quite stubborn, so instead of cutting my losses, i explored other ways of integrating ios into my studio & glad i did :) I did use it for a while as a midi keyboard, as the stand for the iPad was really useful for a Korg Monotron or a harmonica or something similar! It has zero second-hand value, & is in it's box in the loft, probably to stay there forever...........
    However i do have the Rhythm Wolf drum machine & it's built like a tank.....it got some terrible reviews when it was released, but i like it a lot..........

(EDIT) Re-reading this post, i realise i have no idea what point I'm trying to make................ :D

• @Iso said:
    I Bought the Akai Professional SynthStation 49 iPad controller, new, when i first discovered it was possible to make music with an iPad.. It didn't work very well at all & the build quality was rubbish . Nearly put me off the whole iPad music making thing. Fortunately i am quite stubborn, so instead of cutting my losses, i explored other ways of integrating ios into my studio & glad i did :) I did use it for a while as a midi keyboard, as the stand for the iPad was really useful for a Korg Monotron or a harmonica or something similar! It has zero second-hand value, & is in it's box in the loft, probably to stay there forever...........
    However i do have the Rhythm Wolf drum machine & it's built like a tank.....it got some terrible reviews when it was released, but i like it a lot..........

(EDIT) Re-reading this post, i realise i have no idea what point I'm trying to make................ :D

You buy freak gear?
    Me too :trollface: ... I have a trigger finger pro and it’s the second time I buy one...

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    I still believe it work won’t with iOS devices without some kind of usb hub to supply power to it. Akai always messes that part up

It takes 3 AA batteries, which is annoying, but should hopefully get around the bus power issue.

• There was a pop band playing on a music programme on the telly a few nights back. Obviously miming, and I chuckled when I saw the keyboard player was using the cheap and cheerful Akai controller, and separate little MIDI pad. Mrs Monzo didn’t get it. ‘But they’re playing on the BBC - the real keyboard player wouldn’t be using £30 controllers, he’d at least have a Novation or summat’. She looked at me as if I’d just farted.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@Iso said:

You buy freak gear?
    Me too :trollface: ... I have a trigger finger pro and it’s the second time I buy one...

I love my trigger finger pro. Really good controller ever in my opinion. I can see myself buying it again if I ever sold it but I can never do it. Meanwhile I've had various mpds and sold them all.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    I still believe it work won’t with iOS devices without some kind of usb hub to supply power to it. Akai always messes that part up

They also missed the chance to make it much more convenient/accessible by adding bluetooth! Duh! It was probably by design. Their Marketing guys probably told them to save that for the MPK Mini Play MK2:)

I like the direction they're headed in though. I am always on the lookout for a potential 'OP-1 killer' at an affordable price. The OP-1 has been out of stock for over a year and the market for used OP-1 has soared past $1000US. Way too much IMHO.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@Iso said:

You buy freak gear?

haha.....love me a bit of freakery ! :) (is that a word? I'm not sure.......... :D )

• @Samu said:
    And still no way to change the midi-channel without using the computer editor?!

If you assign different channels to different programs then you can change programs on the fly.

• @supadom said:

@Samu said:

If you assign different channels to different programs then you can change programs on the fly.

this wasn't possible on the past models, if it's possible now that would be pretty cool

• @kobamoto said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

this wasn't possible on the past models, if it's possible now that would be pretty cool

Yes it was! :)

• I'm not too happy with the fact that there's less encoders but built in synth and batteries make me very happy.

I've noticed that Mk 2 doesn't have a sustain button which dubbed for hold button when using the arp. Since they've introduced the sustain pedal socket they've dropped the button which is a real shame as I wouldn't care less about the pedal.

If the sounds on it are decent and they come up with some kind of computer synth editor I might just get this pup.

• edited October 2018

@Dham said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

They also missed the chance to make it much more convenient/accessible by adding bluetooth! Duh! It was probably by design. Their Marketing guys probably told them to save that for the MPK Mini Play MK2:)

I like the direction they're headed in though. I am always on the lookout for a potential 'OP-1 killer' at an affordable price. The OP-1 has been out of stock for over a year and the market for used OP-1 has soared past $1000US. Way too much IMHO.

There's the AKAI LPD8 wireless (works with bluetooth) for $60

• edited October 2018

@Iso said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@Iso said:

You buy freak gear?

haha.....love me a bit of freakery ! :) (is that a word? I'm not sure.......... :D )

The important is the message.., recieved! :wink:

@hansjbs said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@Iso said:

You buy freak gear?

I love my trigger finger pro. Really good controller ever in my opinion. I can see myself buying it again if I ever sold it but I can never do it. Meanwhile I've had various mpds and sold them all.

It has a lot of bugs and uncomplete firmware but the idea was sexy af. The most similar could been roland serato dj808 but these are expensive to the actual price for tfp. The first I bought was for 333€ one week before it halved the price :scream:
    Love, hate and GAS :trollface:

• Just not being able to change midi channel is insta-NO

• @supadom said:

@kobamoto said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

I wasn't aware of that.... so you haven't experienced these issues?

http://community.akaipro.com/akai_professional/topics/how-to-change-midi-channel-in-mpk-mini-mk-ii

• 128 sounds built-in...

Patch list anywhere? Not on Akai’s site. God forbid they provide useful information to entice sales!

If it’s 128 GM voices I’ll pass but if the patch list includes “String Machine,” “Tape Flute,” and/or “Wurli” I’d be VERY interested.

• @mannix said:

@Dham said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

There's the AKAI LPD8 wireless (works with bluetooth) for $60

I actually bought one of those a few months ago. they were selling for $39US. It's nice, but I'm looking for a small all-in-one controller that includes a keyboard. I also have the Korg Nanokey Studio which does the job and works great with gadget.

• @Dham said:
    I actually bought one of those a few months ago. they were selling for $39US. It's nice, but I'm looking for a small all-in-one controller that includes a keyboard. I also have the Korg Nanokey Studio which does the job and works great with gadget.

YOOOOOOO!!!!
    That Amazon deal has been on since Prime Day.
    Looking for an all in one? I'll recommend the Arturia MiniLab mk2. Although I bought the Akai LPD8 Wireless on that deal, I'm gonna most likely sell because the Minilab does everything the LPD8 can and much more...
    well...
    except for...
    ya know...
    the whole wireless thing.

• @supadom said:

@Samu said:

I know, but for quickly selecting a midi channel it feels kinda limited with 4 ’programs’ when most other controllers allow quick selection.

It’s the same limitation with the nanoKEy Studio but I mostly use it with Gadget so it’s not as ’bad’ since most things are pre-mapped.

On the iRig Keys it’s just a few button presses to change the midi channel.

• @MonzoPro said:
    There was a pop band playing on a music programme on the telly a few nights back. Obviously miming, and I chuckled when I saw the keyboard player was using the cheap and cheerful Akai controller, and separate little MIDI pad. Mrs Monzo didn’t get it. ‘But they’re playing on the BBC - the real keyboard player wouldn’t be using £30 controllers, he’d at least have a Novation or summat’. She looked at me as if I’d just farted.

LMAO, I know that feeling :D

• @supadom said:

@kobamoto said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Yeah I could do that on my LPK, 4 programs, 4 different channels.

• @ph8aerror said:

@Dham said:

YOOOOOOO!!!!
    That Amazon deal has been on since Prime Day.
    Looking for an all in one? I'll recommend the Arturia MiniLab mk2. Although I bought the Akai LPD8 Wireless on that deal, I'm gonna most likely sell because the Minilab does everything the LPD8 can and much more...
    well...
    except for...
    ya know...
    the whole wireless thing.

What I understood is that the Arturia MiniLab mk2 is quite heavy compared to the Akai and Novation LauchKey Mini, so not that portable besides that it doesn't integrate that well with Ableton

• Novation going more Native Instruments by appearance in future market target.

Akai going more Novation.

Interesting.

I have enjoyed this rivalry ever since Ableton chose Akai to make the Push and not Novation.

Well I got my first Akai Midi controller after only using Novation for years this past year.

May be working.

And frankly, the FIRE is something I would not mind having if it is iOS compliant and works as well as it looks.

• @supadom said:

@kobamoto said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

I agree, With MPK mini at least this is possible.

• edited October 2018

@Samu said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

I know, but for quickly selecting a midi channel it feels kinda limited with 4 ’programs’ when most other controllers allow quick selection.

I guess it is a user case by case scenario. For me the mpk mk1 still is the classic when it comes to portable mini controllers,even with its mushy keys.

Mini lab feels great in many ways but is heavier, doesn't have an arp and those endless encoders...

But yeah, no more than 4 programs I'm afraid.

• So what are the built in sounds?

• @supadom said:

I guess it is a user case by case scenario. For me the mpk mk1 still is the classic when it comes to portable mini controllers,even with its mushy keys.

Yeah, I do like the fact the the MPK Mini Mk 2 has quite nice pads for finger drumming and plenty of knobs.
    The 'mushy' keys can drive me nuts when trying to play 'faster'.

It's almost like I have to ask the keys "Are you up yet?" before I pressing again.
    (Ie. if I play rapid 16ths (N-N-N-N-Nineteen etc) or faster not every key press plays/triggers since it's not considered 'released' before being triggered again).

The above also applies to the iRig Keys but it's a bit 'faster' at returning they key so it can be triggered again.

So far the ReFace line has had the most playable mini-keys I've ever come across.

I'm 'sold' if Yamaha release a ReFace MX based on the MX-Line with MiniKeys and possibility to unlock FM Essentials and maybe even 'sound card features' similar to the AG3/6 mixers.