Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auditioning AU MIDI effects

This discussion was created from comments split from: Announcing Audiobus 3.2.

Comments

• I bought Audiobus 3 but there is something that made in unusable for me.

I found that you could only audition a sound from a AU synth if you click on the synth itself and used it’s keyboard. But if you have used AU midi effects (e.g. arpeggiator) and wanted to audition the sound while you tweak the settings then you can’t because no sound is played. The only way to play the sound is to use the keyboard that pops up on the AU synth but then the midi effect isn’t applied.

Maybe this is user error? Or maybe a design issue?

• I didn't quite understand everything you said, @sdesign, but the best way to audition a MIDI effect is to hold a note on the MIDI source (or the in-app keyboard for the AU). The in-app keyboard has a hold toggle button.

• @Michael said:
    I didn't quite understand everything you said, @sdesign, but the best way to audition a MIDI effect is to hold a note on the MIDI source (or the in-app keyboard for the AU). The in-app keyboard has a hold toggle button.

For example, if you wanted to play a chord progression while tweaking settings to taste on the midi arpeggiator you can’t do it.

• Hmm I might need a little more help understanding; what is it that's missing here?

• Sounds like the midi effect isn't routed to the AU synth via the midi page.

• @syrupcore said:
    Sounds like the midi effect isn't routed to the AU synth via the midi page.

Yes it is

• edited October 2018

@Michael said:
    Hmm I might need a little more help understanding; what is it that's missing here?

Maybe I’m not explaining myself well.

On the midi page I put an AU synth in the output. On the input I put an AU arpeggiator. If I want to play the synth via the Audiobus keyboard using the arpeggiator how do I do it?

• Open the arpeggiator, and use the keyboard there

• @Michael said:
    Open the arpeggiator, and use the keyboard there

I tried that, no sound. It didn’t play the synth

• @sdesign said:

@Michael said:

Huh... what's the arpeggiator you're using? It definitely works with Rozeta.

• @sdesign said:

@Michael said:

Working fine here with StepPolyArp.
    Maybe it’s a background audio thing. Try enabling background audio in your synth’s settings.

• what is actually happening here? ive not experienced this with Rozeta or SPAU.

• Maybe try putting the Arpeggiator in the MidiFX slot? That seems like when it should go, to me, anyway.

• edited October 2018

I just gave up and got a refund. It seems to all work fine in AUM. I think maybe because I’m used to hardware I prefer to set audio/midi routings myself so I can make it work as I like.

• Well, I guess that’s a kind of troubleshooting.