Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I'm finally in the gadget gang!

Comments

• heck ya, that's rad..... I can see how this will boost my productivity and workflow !! > @Ulonix said:

Love gadget man!. I created a track in like 2 weeks (record time for me). Some users are requesting features at the official forum, hope Korg listen's to at least a few of those...

• Also, everybody probably already knows this by now – my album Electric Ian is 100% gadget (except for the vocals).

• Gadget is a little miracle. Same feelings about it - I use it on my phone only and... Damn I can make whole songs on my phone! Crazy. Amazing.

• @reasOne said:
    First day with gadget, ... and I'm totally feeling it.
    This thing is a beast...i can't even complain, as someone who grew up in the 80s, pre iPhone or any cell phone... and Pre iPad... Gadget, and really most of what we have available on iOS, is something that we could only dream of for many years,...and now it's here... And getting better by the day...
    We can always say, ya but it doesn't do this, and can't do that.. But you know what, that's perfectly ok that it has limits...because what it can do is powerful... And if we can't make great music with all this, we can only blame ourselves...
    Would love to see a day where gadget can load up my other audio units and iaa but while it can't, thank devs for other options like Aum, ab3 , cubasis and the rest!
    It's been a hella inspiring day with this new app and my iPad 😃

Love the enthusiasm, although I have kind of left the "Gadget Gang" some what for the "AUv3 Gang".
    The excitement you exude is still very refreshing and fun to see. Congrats......

• edited October 2018

@reasOne said:
    I wanna hear or see your gadget jams !!

Really? Okay, just to show the versatility of Gadget (some jam stuff included):

All this 100% gadget with the help of the module, iMonoPoly etc. as gadget instruments.

Which is to say that I am totally into gadget right now. After first seeing it as only a first stepstone into iOS music making, I don‘t see myself leaving any time soon.

• edited October 2018

@LeonKowalski said:

@reasOne said:

All this 100% gadget with the help of the module, iMonoPoly etc. as gadget instruments.

Which is to say that I am totally into gadget right now. After first seeing it as only a first stepstone into iOS music making, I don‘t see myself leaving any time soon.

Wow!!!
    If there's one property that Gadget has without doubt then it must be the capability of offering enough tools to make any kind of music. Well, almost ;)

• @reasOne said:

@rs2000 said:

@reasOne said:
    Finally pulled the trigger as a celebration for selling my house 😁 man I see what the hype was all about already after just 20 minutes of browsing thru.... Seems pretty strait forward and it's dope just having everything function in a similar manner... Makes for quick sketches and fast changes, that's what I need sometimes cuz time is tight these days to make music. Everything sounds good..... Like everyone I wish I could use my audio units, but I'll survive and export the audio to use my effects...

That being said, is there anything I must know or any videos I should watch to show me the gadget secrets...

Good decision!
    The most important rule with Gadget, at least for me, is:
    Hold back with instabuys.
    After working a lot with most gadgets, I found that many IAP gadgets are more or less obsolete if you take a little bit of time to really work with what's already included.
    If I had to decide again, I would only get me these IAP gadgets:

• Stockholm (I own Recycle and a huge number of fantastic, inspiring REX loops)
    • Bilbao (more flexible than Abu Dhabi, in which you could only load one loop anyway)
    • iMonoPoly (this and Phoenix+Wolfsburg+Dublin will cover all your analog synth needs)
    • iWavestation if you're into wave sequences and Roland D-50 style sounds
    • Vancouver (only a silly barebones sampler that doesn't even have a sample keymap, but well, it can play a sample chromatically, which is a bit fiddly with Stockholm when doing chords)

Did you know that you can import recordings and loops from AudioShare and use them in Rosario and Zurich? That's usually the best for loops that span one bar or more, as you can trim but not freely move the imported audio.

Good call! Deff wanna learn what it has before getting more, although I do have my eye on abu Dhabi just cuz it looks fun and powerful.... Ima watch some videos on it and libson just to see... And that mono poly I've wanted a while... But I'm thinking your right, the synths in here seem to be able to cover everything, Phoenix sounds great, didn't expect that !

I believe the included gadgets have sample based OSC's, for analogue type stuff Montpellier/iMonopoly or Lexington/iOdyssei are much better when pushed to extremes as they have fully modelled OSC's, but they will push your CPU/battery more than the included ones.
    If you want acoustic drums then Gladstone
    If you want Bass Guitar then Madrid ( madrid also has an option for 'large' keys, I will often play in using Madrid then swap to another gadget when I want large keys to play with )
    Module for decent piano's/elec piano's and organs (this is 1GB is size though)
    Kamata can be fun and can provide a bit of Lo-Fi grit when needed.

• If you are an ableton user at all I highly recommend investing in the mac version, it is actual less expensive than the IOs version and the ableton vsts making porting from IOs super easy and fun.

• @shiftsynth1 said:
    If you are an ableton user at all I highly recommend investing in the mac version, it is actual less expensive than the IOs version and the ableton vsts making porting from IOs super easy and fun.

Does that mean the mac version is also easier to connect with other music producing applications?

• @LeonKowalski said:

@shiftsynth1 said:
    If you are an ableton user at all I highly recommend investing in the mac version, it is actual less expensive than the IOs version and the ableton vsts making porting from IOs super easy and fun.

Does that mean the mac version is also easier to connect with other music producing applications?

Someone else will have to attest to that. I don't think so though, I'm pretty sure the VST export option is exclusive for the ableton live set export option. You could still export the audio stems to other Production applications but if you want the VST midi to port in I think you need Ableton.

• wow! these are all great and really do show how versatile gadget can be!! Sick stuff here man !!!

@LeonKowalski said:

@reasOne said:

• edited October 2018

@LeonKowalski said:

@reasOne said:

Great stuff @LeonKowalski!
    Unbelievable that this is all gadget. Compliment, very well done! 🎶👍
    Now you have one more follower on SoundCloud!

Many greetings to Gadget City! 😎

• @reasOne said:
    wow! these are all great and really do show how versatile gadget can be!! Sick stuff here man !!!

Thanks a lot, glad that you like it. I highly recommend joining the Gadgetcloud community (small but friendly) to get a lot of additional inspiration.

• Great stuff @LeonKowalski!

Cool, thanks very much! 🤟

• edited October 2018

@LeonKowalski said:

Great stuff @LeonKowalski!

Cool, thanks very much! 🤟

@LeonKowalski
    May I can ask you is this track also made with gadget?
    Love it! 👍

Edit // Sorry, now I see it’s not from you, but beautiful... 😎

• @LeonKowalski
    May I can ask you is this track also made with gadget?
    Love it! 👍

Edit // Sorry, now I see it’s not from you, but beautiful... 😎

Haha, yes it is, that‘s why I reposted it... :smiley:

• @reasOne said:
    Finally pulled the trigger as a celebration for selling my house 😁 man I see what the hype was all about already after just 20 minutes of browsing thru.... Seems pretty strait forward and it's dope just having everything function in a similar manner... Makes for quick sketches and fast changes, that's what I need sometimes cuz time is tight these days to make music. Everything sounds good..... Like everyone I wish I could use my audio units, but I'll survive and export the audio to use my effects...

That being said, is there anything I must know or any videos I should watch to show me the gadget secrets...

Great choice!  It's indeed an excellent environment. While not as powerful as a full fledged DAW with AU support - it's very focused, stable and inspirational.    

I like the flexibility of working with AU via AUM and/or Cubasis/Auria as much as the next guy, especially if I'm in the mood to experiment -- but when it comes to having an all inclusive environment to get directly to the task of creating, without having to fiddle with setting anything up or juggling different interfaces, Gadget has proved to be the ideal solution for getting ideas down quick and still having the flexibility of a very wide ranging sound pallet.

Here are some learning resources that helped me get started:
    Ask.Video - Gadget 101 Absolute Beginner Guide (It's for the mac version, but most of the info applies to iOS)

and for some free tutorials, Jakob Haq, Hank Astral and Doug at thesoundtestroom all have some excellent youtube guides for gadget + devices.

• @reasOne said:

Great choice!  It's indeed an excellent environment. While not as powerful as a full fledged DAW with AU support - it's very focused, stable and inspirational.    

I like the flexibility of working with AU via AUM and/or Cubasis/Auria as much as the next guy, especially if I'm in the mood to experiment -- but when it comes to having an all inclusive environment to get directly to the task of creating, without having to fiddle with setting anything up or juggling different interfaces, Gadget has proved to be the ideal solution for getting ideas down quick and still having the flexibility of a very wide ranging sound pallet.

Ask.Video - Gadget 101 Absolute Beginner Guide (It's for the mac version, but most of the info applies to iOS)

and for some free tutorials, Jakob Haq, Hank Astral and Doug at thesoundtestroom all have some excellent youtube guides for gadget + devices.

• @ZenKier said:

@reasOne said:

I agree all day, I love Ab3, AUM , audio units but... Just firing up an environment with gadgets that sound this good, and let you just get started on creating... And saving your work... Really lets you jam out and build tracks instead of setting things up for A while and hoping when you come back everything will load as you left it

• Made this pretty quick, but I'm liking where it's going... And it was so easy to get things going and keep the mood/flow rolling.

• @reasOne said:
    Made this pretty quick, but I'm liking where it's going... And it was so easy to get things going and keep the mood/flow rolling.

Very enjoyable to listen to. +1 for keeping the flow :)

• @reasOne said:
    Made this pretty quick, but I'm liking where it's going... And it was so easy to get things going and keep the mood/flow rolling.

That’s really nice. Gadget seems to give a sound that is “produced” already.

The Montreal electric piano Natural Tine patch sounds so good it floors me every time.

• thx you man!! I ran it thru daw cassette and it's really sounding great now... Imo 😀> @rs2000 said:

@reasOne said:

Very enjoyable to listen to. +1 for keeping the flow :)

• @AtticusL said:

@reasOne said:

That’s really nice. Gadget seems to give a sound that is “produced” already.

The Montreal electric piano Natural Tine patch sounds so good it floors me every time.

Ya it does! I am working on mastering it now and it really needs little work

• @reasOne said:

Yes! Great start into Gadget.

• i agree! Me and Helsinki were made for each other 😂 thanks man

@LeonKowalski said:

@reasOne said:

Yes! Great start into Gadget.

• @reasOne said:
    i agree! Me and Helsinki were made for each other 😂 thanks man

To my own surprise I have to say that so far I haven‘t used Helsinki even once. Should try it, I guess...

• An interesting barrier was crossed this week, for me. Since I released my album “Electric Ian” which was composed entirely in Gadget, I’ve been trying to get on and work on the next one (ostensibly also a concept album, and trying hard to be in this new sciencesynth genre I’ve cooked up). I’ve stalled for about a couple of months, not producing anything of use, and this is why.

I tried not using Gadget and instead using GarageBand and AUs, specifically Moog’s modular and minimoog apps. They sound quite nice, and fit in with what I do, and I understand how to patch them quite well (although I hadn’t dreamed it would be so difficult to actually patch Model 15 on an iPhone – give me a late 80s 16char x 2line LCD ‘paint the hallway through the letterbox’ display any day compared to that!). I found I wasn’t producing anything that, well, excited me. I got as far as one rudimentary song, with some nice bits in it, it took forever, and isn’t properly structured. I then did two more, and they’re useless and lacking and lifeless and limp.

I then ventured where I hadn’t before. The whole spiders web of hooking up AU apps to a sequencer app to AUM to Audiobus to the whole mess. Quite apart from not knowing which app to save from (turns out, Audiobus), versus which apps to exit from when the train gets to my station (leave them all on, the phone goes flat very quickly in the day, as well as hot, exit all the apps, I probably won’t get back to where I was the next time because I didn’t save things in a correct order), and I’ve spent about a month producing a sound, and a single melody which isn’t even in time because, well, it’s impossible to continue this way.

I decided last week if I hadn’t created anything worth keeping I’d revert to Gadget by this week. I didn’t, so I did. I went back to Gadget and immediately lurched into a set of not very good but comparatively scintillating assets, which have coherence and meaning and add up to a way forward. So, it’s back to Gadget for me if I want to actually be productive.

• @u0421793 said:
    An interesting barrier was crossed this week, for me. Since I released my album “Electric Ian” which was composed entirely in Gadget, I’ve been trying to get on and work on the next one (ostensibly also a concept album, and trying hard to be in this new sciencesynth genre I’ve cooked up). I’ve stalled for about a couple of months, not producing anything of use, and this is why.

I tried not using Gadget and instead using GarageBand and AUs, specifically Moog’s modular and minimoog apps. They sound quite nice, and fit in with what I do, and I understand how to patch them quite well (although I hadn’t dreamed it would be so difficult to actually patch Model 15 on an iPhone – give me a late 80s 16char x 2line LCD ‘paint the hallway through the letterbox’ display any day compared to that!). I found I wasn’t producing anything that, well, excited me. I got as far as one rudimentary song, with some nice bits in it, it took forever, and isn’t properly structured. I then did two more, and they’re useless and lacking and lifeless and limp.

I then ventured where I hadn’t before. The whole spiders web of hooking up AU apps to a sequencer app to AUM to Audiobus to the whole mess. Quite apart from not knowing which app to save from (turns out, Audiobus), versus which apps to exit from when the train gets to my station (leave them all on, the phone goes flat very quickly in the day, as well as hot, exit all the apps, I probably won’t get back to where I was the next time because I didn’t save things in a correct order), and I’ve spent about a month producing a sound, and a single melody which isn’t even in time because, well, it’s impossible to continue this way.

I decided last week if I hadn’t created anything worth keeping I’d revert to Gadget by this week. I didn’t, so I did. I went back to Gadget and immediately lurched into a set of not very good but comparatively scintillating assets, which have coherence and meaning and add up to a way forward. So, it’s back to Gadget for me if I want to actually be productive.

The journey is fraught with possibilities and cosmic guidance

• I’ve always found Gadget to be a very productive environment, focussed on creating music rather than fiddling with sounds.