Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to record audio on Mac?

I never use my Mac for music, but I need to record my audio on a podcast call I’m doing tomorrow. The audio will be captured to the cloud via a service called Cast, but I want to record a local copy too.

On iOS I have a million ways to do this. But on the Mac? What app do I use? Is there something like Audioshare? I’ll be using a mic and a USB interface/mixer.

Comments

• Hosting AU might do the trick - it has an easy built in recorder and hosts plugins, including AUv3. Depending on your gear you might also create a aggregate audio device in Audio MIDI Setup. ju-x.com/hostingau.html

• That looks like it might be just the ticket!

• @mistercharlie - GL! And if you’re looking for a Soundboard app for the full podcast type production might check out Farrago from Rogue Amoeba.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    @mistercharlie - GL! And if you’re looking for a Soundboard app for the full podcast type production might check out Farrago from Rogue Amoeba.

What's GL?

I don't need all the bells and whistles. I'm a guest on the podcast, so my local recording is a backup. I just have to press record, then talk :).

• @Aud_iOS said:
    Hosting AU might do the trick - it has an easy built in recorder and hosts plugins, including AUv3. Depending on your gear you might also create a aggregate audio device in Audio MIDI Setup. ju-x.com/hostingau.html

This doesn't just accept a straight-in input from USB.

• Audacity. It’s free.

• edited October 2018

You may try the built in Quicktime recorder - I once used it to record a remote desktop session, resulting in a very efficient frame capture.
    There was no sound in my case, but it might capture that as well, if present.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    @mistercharlie - GL! And if you’re looking for a Soundboard app for the full podcast type production might check out Farrago from Rogue Amoeba.

What's GL?

I don't need all the bells and whistles. I'm a guest on the podcast, so my local recording is a backup. I just have to press record, then talk :).

Good Luck! @mistercharlie - not sure what you mean by accepting USB input? On the 3rd channel strip the topmost input should bring up all your audio devices.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    Good Luck! @mistercharlie - not sure what you mean by accepting USB input? On the 3rd channel strip the topmost input should bring up all your audio devices.

Ah, got it! I was looking at the the 1st channel strip only. That works great.

@Telefunky said:
    You may try the built in Quicktime recorder - I once used it to record a remote desktop session, resulting in a very efficient frame capture.
    There was no sound in my case, but it might capture that as well, if present.

QT is my other option. I like that it’s built-in and rock-solid. I just tested it and it works fine.

Looks like I’m all set!

• Place your iOS device down next to the mic you’re using, and use it separately to record it all.

• @u0421793 said:
    Place your iOS device down next to the mic you’re using, and use it separately to record it all.

Not a bad idea!

• Update. I used QuickTime, and all went well. The file was massive though — 1.6GB!

• @mistercharlie said:
    Update. I used QuickTime, and all went well. The file was massive though — 1.6GB!

Did you 'by accident' record the screen as well?

• @Samu said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Update. I used QuickTime, and all went well. The file was massive though — 1.6GB!

Ha, no! I did an audio recording. It’s an AIFF, and over an hour long, which may explain it.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Samu said:

@mistercharlie said:

Ha, no! I did an audio recording. It’s an AIFF, and over an hour long, which may explain it.

Yeah, and we have no clue if it was stereo, what bit depth and sample-rate was used.
    For MacOS and especially when using QuickTime the recording bit-depth and sample rate is set using Audio Midi Setup app. High is just AAC and Maximum is uncompressed.

Considering that standard CD audio is ~10MB/Minute the 1.6GB is not 'unreasonable' :)

• It's probabably a 24bit stereo track - which is cool for a microphone recording.
    Convert it to mono (or use only one channel), normalize it and then reduce to 16bit.
    This will result in a signal with few noise and good loudness of about 500-600 MB.
    (the procedure doesn't alter the sound but just shifts the bits leftward)

• @Telefunky said:
    It's probabably a 24bit stereo track - which is cool for a microphone recording.
    Convert it to mono (or use only one channel), normalize it and then reduce to 16bit.
    This will result in a signal with few noise and good loudness of about 500-600 MB.
    (the procedure doesn't alter the sound but just shifts the bits leftward)

Happily I don’t have to worry about that part. I was a guest on the padcast, not the host. I just had to upload the file after we were done.