Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT - The YAMAHA PSS 460 - I Still Love These Ultra RETRO Synths

I use the term synth loosely here😂, however they are still fun and cheesy.

I picked this up for £10, worth it for the nostalgia alone I reckon, I’m going to run this through the iPad in another video and see how good I can get to Sound/Record in Cubasis.

Who else had or still has any of these old Yamaha or Casio keyboards, this one doesn’t have midi but a lot of them did, I particularly love the drum machines on these little classics.

Comments

• Love em. My mate had (just looked this up) the PSS-30, then moved up to a big PSS-780 - but that was too big for busking with so he settled on a PSS-480. This was in the late 80's, and he'd come over and I'd record him live into a 4-track Portastudio, then overdub some guitar and bass. Instant space music.

I picked up a PSS-170 for a fiver or summat a few months back for Monzo Jnr, but it will be sampled at some point.

• Yes. I use the old Yamaha PS20.

It's an analog poly synth hidden inside a preset keyboard/organ.

• @MonzoPro I have a friend is going to dig his PSS 680 out and see if it still works, and if it does I’ll be having a blast with that too.

But your right, the 680 and 780 were huge

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @MonzoPro I have a friend is going to dig his PSS 680 out and see if it still works, and if it does I’ll be having a blast with that too.

But your right, the 680 and 780 were huge

Great honking sounds on the 780’s pads.

My mate was miffed when he clocked John Shuttleworth on the telly - “hey he’s nicked my act!”

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug There are some mad mods for these, people went mad with Circuit Bending them, very very Cool Beans

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I still have a Yamaha PS-3 hiding somewhere in somewhat usable condition as in my youth I had a habit of picking things apart and was less that stellar at putting them back together again so there's some grounding issues left to be fixed that cause some high-frequency buzzing noises mostly likely due to missing shielding....

Circuitbenders seem to like the PS-3 though :D

(This one is on the very extreme side).

• The PSS460 was my 1st keyboard synth. I loved that thing. I really stretched out both the synth section as well as the rhythm section. great fun.

• Learnt on a PSR-90. Although it was marketed as a home keyboard it actually came with basic ADSR controls and a 4-part sequencer. Hadn’t realised it shared the same FM chip as the TX81z so stupidly gave it away in favour of a rompler 🙈

• The low resolution reverb could had some strange harmonics depending on the sound, sometimes great sometimes not so great, a fun and quite versatile little simple FM synth.

• edited October 2018

One of my all time keepers: the Casio SK-1
    A sampler, pcm and additive synth, pcm-drummy and simple sequence recorder.
    It features envelopes, vibrato and portamento (famous example: the fake Theremin in 'Kelly watch the Stars' by french duo Air). All features are easily (!) operated without a display.
    https://encyclotronic.com/synthesizers/casio/casio-sk-1-sampling-keyboard-r247/
    (some videos at the end of feature list)

• Yamaha AN1x for me :)

• The AN1 is way too modern for even a tiny bit of retro-appeal ;)

• I’ve got a Yamaha SHS-10 in grey.

• I’m definitely going to try and get hold of a Casio VL Tone, I remember when they were first released, I was working in Hessy’s Music Shop in Liverpool and we were all amazed, I think they were £30, which was more than a weeks wages for me then, anyway I saved up and got one, epic, and it had a line out😀

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    I’m definitely going to try and get hold of a Casio VL Tone, I remember when they were first released, I was working in Hessy’s Music Shop in Liverpool and we were all amazed, I think they were £30, which was more than a weeks wages for me then, anyway I saved up and got one, epic, and it had a line out😀

I’ve got one here - bought it when they first came out. Not sure if it works, it’s in a box full of old leads and broken Stylophones....

• @MonzoPro You should definitely see if it works, ooooh Stylophone

• @Telefunky said:
    One of my all time keepers: the Casio SK-1
    A sampler, pcm and additive synth, pcm-drummy and simple sequence recorder.
    It features envelopes, vibrato and portamento (famous example: the fake Theremin in 'Kelly watch the Stars' by french duo Air). All features are easily (!) operated without a display.
    https://encyclotronic.com/synthesizers/casio/casio-sk-1-sampling-keyboard-r247/
    (some videos at the end of feature list)

Love my Casio SK1. I had one that my dad had put midi into! Sadly that was stolen and I've never figured how to do it. I've modded mine for filter bypass and clock out though Oh! and disabling the auto shutdown.