Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let’s see your studio setup (photos please!)

Comments

• Sorry, but no one wants to see a photo of my couch.

• @Thomas. I’m intrigued by the fretless Music Man. Probably a dumb question but how do you like it.

• @Thomas said:

Love this one :)

• edited October 2018

When I'm out...

Cake, Coffee & Cacophony...

• When I'm home...

• Dude your studios over the years always look like the “Better Homes and Gardens” of iOS studios! Awesome equipment, awesome design and layout, super clean and built for focus.
    My hat is tipped to you sir.

@Tarekith said:

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Dude your studios over the years always look like the “Better Homes and Gardens” of iOS studios! Awesome equipment, awesome design and layout, super clean and built for focus.

@Tarekith said:

Great, but where is the sofa? :D

• I've gotten a lot of great ideas from this thread.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    Dude your studios over the years always look like the “Better Homes and Gardens” of iOS studios! Awesome equipment, awesome design and layout, super clean and built for focus.

Thanks, I'm a bit of a clean freak and like that sort of look.

@Tarekith said:

Great, but where is the sofa? :D

It's actually behind the camera. :) Sadly I have a bunch of other things stored nearby in a haphazard state still while I work out storage options, so no pics yet.

• edited October 2018

@Lt_Core said:

@robertreynolds said:
    Some really nice setups here. I just reconfigured my little closet studio around my two Elektrons and my iPad.

Cool! Where did you find those controller stands? I need a few of those. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Equipment-Fat-Toad-Controllers/dp/B005865X0S/

• @thatguysmitty said:

@robertreynolds said:
    Some really nice setups here. I just reconfigured my little closet studio around my two Elektrons and my iPad.

I’ve got my little studio set up in a closet also!😊

Nice setup (and gorgeous Moog). We have a lot of the same equipment and I’m a vinyl collector too.

• @robertreynolds said:

Nice setup (and gorgeous Moog). We have a lot of the same equipment and I’m a vinyl collector too.

I’ve been a vinyl junkie since I started my DJ career over 25 years ago! I’ve got records stuffed all over the house and garage...my wife is a saint for putting up with my record habit! 😂

Also, I’m really loving the Moog Grandmother! It’s a really great synth😊

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Now that the amazing Senode sequencer allows midi-triggering, it's allowed me to break free of the PC for my midi processing/triggering.

This entire rig is based around the idea of being able to just flip on the power, sit down, and jam/improvise for hours. After like 2+ years, I've FINALLY got a setup that just works.

It's 2 Nord Drum 3P's: Each one I use instrument panning so I can have essentially two signal path options per unit.

These run into 4 Zoom multi-pedals that I modified so I can turn active effect on/off with external footswitches. I use the Zoom's delay's at the start of the chain to be like a looper (thus the biggest reason for the footpedals).

These then run into the A&H DB4 which I LOVE even though it's stupid expensive because there's a 4 bar looper that's BPM sync'd per channel, as well as the amazing FX, again, per channel.

Finally I've got an iPad running this amazing new midi-triggered sequencer that I can use to riff melodic stuff into the Nord Drum (each voice can be played chromatically).

It's gonna be a while before I get some jams worth sharing... It's kind of mind-blowing. :)

I am planning on doing some vids of what I'm doing with Senode as a "tutorial", but may be a while before I'm "production-ready".

Thank you for posting your setup!
    Very unconventional yet inspiring and thanks for the idea to trigger sequences by drum pads. Sometimes I get lost in a forest of features.

• @Ben said:
    @Thomas. I’m intrigued by the fretless Music Man. Probably a dumb question but how do you like it.

I owned a fretless Stingray 4H and a fretted Stingray 5H. I thought a fretless 6 would be perfect. I was wrong LOL I should have bought a fretted 6 and a fretless 5. That would have been perfect for me. This particular instrument is a pure gem, though. I very rarely use the high C, but can't take the chance of trading for something else. Every time I pick her up, it's an inspiration. The feel is spectacular, and the tone is as big as it gets. Fit-n-finish is typical top notch Music Man. I have a custom Skjold fretted 5er and this is a better instrument.
    Thanks for asking. :)

• edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Here’s how my setup was prior to moving. Something simple but works for me

And here’s my current setup. Honestly the only thing missing is speakers but I couldn’t bring them with me. I wouldn’t be able to enjoy them with my current living situation anyway 🤷🏽‍♂️

• I’m much like a number of other forum members insofar as they do a lot of music production with their iPhones/iPads and a miniscule number of peripheral equipment. It seems ludicrous to post a pic of my iPhone, but it is pretty much the extent of my ‘studio’. I am still impressed with the capability of my iPhone to produce respectable-enough music to serve my needs, and other folks seem impressed with the abilities as well. The workload involved has been streamlined to an impressive degree, and with interaction between GarageBand and a few other apps via Audiobus I can get my point across sufficiently. I could have never imagined that these capabilities could be so wonderfully wrought as they are! The future is here and I look forward to what possibilities might emerge in the coming years.

• edited October 2018

@Brain said:
    I’m much like a number of other forum members insofar as they do a lot of music production with their iPhones/iPads and a miniscule number of peripheral equipment. It seems ludicrous to post a pic of my iPhone, but it is pretty much the extent of my ‘studio’. I am still impressed with the capability of my iPhone to produce respectable-enough music to serve my needs, and other folks seem impressed with the abilities as well. The workload involved has been streamlined to an impressive degree, and with interaction between GarageBand and a few other apps via Audiobus I can get my point across sufficiently. I could have never imagined that these capabilities could be so wonderfully wrought as they are! The future is here and I look forward to what possibilities might emerge in the coming years.

I am still a few months into using the iPad but it is exciting isn't it?

I have been mostly playing rock for so long after being really interested in synths, samplers, etc. in the late 90s. And getting back now into electronic-based I took a look at some of the drum machines, meh, synths, eh fine...Thought, why can a tablet not be a drum machine? Way more processing power than my vintage drum machines had.

Googled around. Found this forum.

Discovered I can use the iPad as a drum machine, samples or synthesized, multiple synths, midi recorder/sequencer. And as a sequencer for all my older hardware synths.

Again, I had figured this was possible just given processing power and knowledge of similar lap/desktop apps, but coming in from not having followed the evolution of mobile platforms, it was like time traveling a bit.

:)

• edited October 2018

Heres a bit better view on my chillout/music room. Also traded the slim phatty for a few modules the other day :)

This amp rarely gets used nowadays

• It IS amazing and I forget sometimes. All I need to do is think back to 1983 or so, recording with my pal on his Tascam 4 track cassette recorder ... I haven't accomplished too much in terms of output until recently. I'm a pretty big fan of ios music recording as a result. I am living my dream finally.

@Multicellular So you come to recording on ipad from a drum machine standpoint? Interesting. What did you end up getting and using?

• edited October 2018

@kinkujin said:
    It IS amazing and I forget sometimes. All I need to do is think back to 1983 or so, recording with my pal on his Tascam 4 track cassette recorder ... I haven't accomplished too much in terms of output until recently. I'm a pretty big fan of ios music recording as a result. I am living my dream finally.

@Multicellular So you come to recording on ipad from a drum machine standpoint? Interesting. What did you end up getting and using?

Ya from a having drum machines back in the 90s, mostly just screwing around, nothing recorded with them. I just was enamored with the tech.

Since then playing with drummers, until a few months ago. And where I've used electronic drum sounds, with the drummers, they've played via midi drum pads and I've used BFD and Tremor, and similar on the desktop before that. I've sampled a lot myself before too, mostly random objects I find, piece of metal in the road, a particularly nice sounding washing machine.

So my current iPad setup, pretty solid after a few iterations:
    iPad
    Akai MPK midi - for synth live parts
    Akai MPD 218 - for drums
    Moog Minitaur - this is the part of the iteration still most in question. I originally thought I'd get this for basses, but I've since figured out some pretty good bass patches in some other apps, and I can program and tweak those all mobile, so the workflow is not ideal.

Apps
    Modstep to record and arrange songs
    Use Modstep internal sampler for single layer samples. Use a lot of Tremor samples there too.
    Virsyn Audio Layer - for velocity layered sampled drums, percussion
    Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM --most of the electronic drum sounds.

Synths - have a half dozen I use regularly. Icegears, Virsyn Tera, Kauldron

Recording and some master effects in Audiobus.

And that is all in the context of me and my partner are playing guitars and singing over it.

We are working to demo some stuff now and I think we'll probably hybridize that with some of the desktop plugins too. I get sounds I love out of Ruismaker, but they aren't quite as modulated (e.g. by velocity) as I normally like. But that is a level of subtlety I'm not too worried about live, but I'll either add some modulation post or just use Tremor or one of my Moogs. Probably a bit of both. And for songs with a more realistic bass sound, I'll just play bass. Just depends on the song I guess.

And this is part of why we're using a very midi rather than audio based setup. Even if I decide to use non-iPad synths/drums for this or that part, all the song parts are recorded in midi already, and even sometimes on the go (which doesn't always work for me because I need to play the parts unquantized until I figure out the 'groove template').

• The only Kawai MP11se in Istanbul. And it arrived today.
    Maybe I am old and cold, but my setup is lean and mean.

• edited December 2018

I have more gear than most sane individuals (have been at this for a long time), but this is what I am concentrating on these days. Sometimes I feel like I can get rid of some of my gear, but I chicken out... I am so happy with this setup and finally paying real attention to all these apps I am accumulating.

• edited December 2018