Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AU synths with strong acoustic presets?

im looking for some piano, guitar, violin sounds etc. not interested in buying one of the expensive pianos for just one recording session. I have a ton of synths so can anyone reccomend a solid section of acoustic presets in a synth?

Comments

• There's no such things as a synth that sounds like a piano, you need a sampler instrument for that. The closest you'll get with a synth is an electric piano sound, but that obviously doesn't sound that much like an acoustic piano.

• Garage Band or bs-16i give you free ones.

• edited October 2018

There is an IK multimedia piano app that gives you one or two models for free. I don't know if it still works as I haven't used it for a while but you might give that a try. It sounded pretty good.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/igrand-piano-free-for-ipad/id562914032?mt=8

• in Caustic there’s a really powerful sampler synth that lets you build an instrument from samples. It’s super powerful but only exists within Caustic.

Is there an au equivalent of this? Sampletank looks like it but not au. Audiolayer?

• Nearest I’ve found in an AU synth is the preset Jan Hammer 03 in SynthMaster One. With a bit of tweaking and the right playing style you can get a passable piano. There is no doubting it is synthetic, but it’s still a usable and pretty sound :)

• edited October 2018

Get AudioLayer and if you have logic you can export the preset from EXS24 sampler and import to your iPad.or you can get soundfont acoustic sf2 files and download bs16-i from the App Store Problem solved
    bismark bs-16i by bismark LLC

• The answer to the titlular question is clearly Laplace!

• @richardyot said:
    There's no such things as a synth that sounds like a piano, you need a sampler instrument for that. The closest you'll get with a synth is an electric piano sound, but that obviously doesn't sound that much like an acoustic piano.

this is incorrect. synthesizers can synthesize other instruments. one of the points of synthesis and kinda the definition. i dont want an acoustic instrument i want a synthesized acoustic instrument.

• @OscarSouth said:
    The answer to the titlular question is clearly Laplace!

indeed, i completely forgot about laplace!

• @99476598326 said:

@richardyot said:
    There's no such things as a synth that sounds like a piano, you need a sampler instrument for that. The closest you'll get with a synth is an electric piano sound, but that obviously doesn't sound that much like an acoustic piano.

this is incorrect. synthesizers can synthesize other instruments. one of the points of synthesis and kinda the definition. i dont want an acoustic instrument i want a synthesized acoustic instrument.

Indeed....while there is nothing like Pianoteq on iOS there are a few synths which can do some nice pianos. Not maybe the most realistic ones but almost like piano.
    Physical modeling is of course a good choice but synths like Zeeon can do some nice keys as well.

• edited October 2018

@99476598326 said:

@OscarSouth said:

I would also add my opinion:

I wouldn’t expect any synth to be able to simulate a solo instrument to a degree that will fool the average listener, however I think that almost any synth is capable of simulating mpst instrument’s (to varying degrees) in a mix that can fool all but the most meticulous listener.

Laplace is a cut above the bunch for capturing believable acoustic qualities (even in synth tones not trying to emulate real instruments) in my opinion.

• @99476598326 said:

@richardyot said:

Well, in that case you should have been more specific first time around

• KQ Dixie.

• edited October 2018

@OscarSouth said:

@99476598326 said:

@OscarSouth said:

I wouldn’t expect any synth to be able to simulate a solo instrument to a degree that will fool the average listener, however I think that almost any synth is capable of simulating mpst instrument’s (to varying degrees) in a mix that can fool all but the most meticulous listener.

Laplace is a cut above the bunch for capturing believable acoustic qualities (even in synth tones not trying to emulate real instruments) in my opinion.

While I am not usually going for realism with Laplace, I am often surprised how close.

If you want a synth rather than sampler for real instruments, check out PPG Infinite. It is a wavetable synth. A lot of the presets are more like a real instrument with unreal modulation, or multiple real instruments morphed together, but just try like the Grand Piano preset and change waves from there. It can do it, steep learning curve though.

• @99476598326 said:

@richardyot said:

Although not for iOS Pianoteq is a synthesizer and has the best piano sound and feel bar the real thing.

• edited October 2018

@99476598326 said:
    im looking for some piano, guitar, violin sounds etc. not interested in buying one of the expensive pianos for just one recording session. I have a ton of synths so can anyone reccomend a solid section of acoustic presets in a synth?

bs-16i and get the salamander piano sample sf2 file (its free). plus the default library is fairly nice for a wide arrange of sampled instruments.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@99476598326 said:

bs-16i and get the salamander piano sample sf2 file (its free). plus the default library is fairly nice for a wide arrange of sampled instruments.

While the posts have been focusing on piano for the most part, the OP is looking for a range of acoustic instruments, right?

Toward that end, especially for guitar and violins, bs16i seems to be the only AU rom type synth I have at least. The tricky thing with stringed instruments and rom synths is articulation, and it may take several patches in one piece to emulate all the sounds one wants (picked, muted, steel, nylon, staccato, legato, etc). There are tons of free soundfonts on the web of varying quality, so it may take some looking but for low cost AU acoustic emulation bs-16i is probably the way to go.

• @wigglelights said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@99476598326 said:

While the posts have been focusing on piano for the most part, the OP is looking for a range of acoustic instruments, right?

Toward that end, especially for guitar and violins, bs16i seems to be the only AU rom type synth I have at least. The tricky thing with stringed instruments and rom synths is articulation, and it may take several patches in one piece to emulate all the sounds one wants (picked, muted, steel, nylon, staccato, legato, etc). There are tons of free soundfonts on the web of varying quality, so it may take some looking but for low cost AU acoustic emulation bs-16i is probably the way to go.

Have you ever used the PCM Synth in Caustic? If so how does bs-16i compare? I’m tempted to get it.

• @gregsmith said:

@wigglelights said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@99476598326 said:

Have you ever used the PCM Synth in Caustic? If so how does bs-16i compare? I’m tempted to get it.

I have not.....

• Acoustic piano and guitar are hard to synthesize without specialized algorihms, I've never heard anything acceptable from classic forms of synthesis. Pianoteq is a collection of physical modeling algorithms that don't have much to do with synthesizers in the classic sense.
    The best options might be either wavetable synthesis or additive resynthesis with separate generators for the tonal and for the transient parts.
    I had hope that Virsyn Cube would give us that, but unfortunately it's just a collection of preset voices with the option to draw arbitrary spectra without any resynthesis features.
    Waldorf Nave can actually process real world samples, PPG Infinite also has a lot to offer!

• There are some nice ‘accoustic’ packs in Roli Noise (AU). Based on both samples and some synthesis, I believe.

You can’t tweak them much, though.

• @Multicellular said:

@OscarSouth said:

@99476598326 said:

@OscarSouth said:

While I am not usually going for realism with Laplace, I am often surprised how close.

If you want a synth rather than sampler for real instruments, check out PPG Infinite. It is a wavetable synth. A lot of the presets are more like a real instrument with unreal modulation, or multiple real instruments morphed together, but just try like the Grand Piano preset and change waves from there. It can do it, steep learning curve though.

PPG Infinite was my choice already having Laplace. And so far it is excellent. Very glassy and slick but the modulation can give it some edge. Thanks for the recommendation.

• hands down Noise by Roli. beautiful acoustics and then some. of course you will then be tempted to by a Roli MPE keyboard for even more expression.

• @99476598326 said:

@Multicellular said:

@OscarSouth said:

@99476598326 said:

@OscarSouth said:

PPG Infinite was my choice already having Laplace. And so far it is excellent. Very glassy and slick but the modulation can give it some edge. Thanks for the recommendation.

Great!

• @adfa said:
    hands down Noise by Roli. beautiful acoustics and then some. of course you will then be tempted to by a Roli MPE keyboard for even more expression.

i like the roli app but i dont have an mpe controller so it seems redundant to me.

• Another vote bs-16i. Strings and Brass are solid and there good free SF2 downloads you can get to augment what's already there.

The stereo piano is fantastic. I'm using it right now in a project in GarageBand (I like it much better than the GB piano) and I've always found that the bs-16i piano always sits really well in my mixes without having to muss or fuss with EQ.

• @supadom said:
    There is an IK multimedia piano app that gives you one or two models for free. I don't know if it still works as I haven't used it for a while but you might give that a try. It sounded pretty good.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/igrand-piano-free-for-ipad/id562914032?mt=8

If works