Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: RIP Beatles Engineer Geoff Emerick

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/geoff-emerick-beatles-engineer-dead-1202966681/

I heard murmurs of this earlier today after a cryptic post on his Instagram page but was hoping his social media had been hacked. Unfortunately he did pass away today at age 72.

Along with George Martin, Geoff Emerick is a cornerstone of modern recording. There's so many techniques we take for granted that he pioneered. His book is a wealth of knowledge, and I gotta say everytime he was interviewed, in a documentary, recording clinic video, etc. he was so humble and giving with his knowledge.

He was a special cat and it's a big loss. But the legacy he left all of us musicians/producers/engineers is forever, his techniques are timeless.

RIP Mr. Emerick

Comments

• RIP

A special cat indeed. He only recently did Q&A at Gearslutz, some great info there.

• RIP. Geoff.

• His is a fascinating story. RIP Geoff.

• Man... What a loss. This is huge. Thanks for the heads up but what a drag.

• Without him the Beatles wouldn’t have been half as innovative.

Very underrated, are engineers.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Without him the Beatles wouldn’t have been half as innovative.

Very underrated, are engineers.

+1

• He was amazing. If you haven't read his book, it's a great read. Also, he was answering questions on gearslutz all summer.

• @mrufino1 said:
    He was amazing. If you haven't read his book, it's a great read. Also, he was answering questions on gearslutz all summer.

Like Eddie Kramer, Emerick was so giving in his knowledge and “trade secrets”, those gearslutz threads are excellent and his book “Here, There And Everywhere: My Life Recording The Beatles” is full of excellent stories and recording information.

He did do a lot to expose how vital engineers, the “knob twiddlers” behind the glass, are to the history of recorded music.

• @JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:
    He was amazing. If you haven't read his book, it's a great read. Also, he was answering questions on gearslutz all summer.

Like Eddie Kramer, Emerick was so giving in his knowledge and “trade secrets”, those gearslutz threads are excellent and his book “Here, There And Everywhere: My Life Recording The Beatles” is full of excellent stories and recording information.

He did do a lot to expose how vital engineers, the “knob twiddlers” behind the glass, are to the history of recorded music.

I'm used to folks here (happily) causing me to buy apps, but today a book :) Thanks....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

I'm used to folks here (happily) causing me to buy apps, but today a book :) Thanks....

Me too - one for the Xmas list!

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

Interesting read for sure. Must pull my copy down from the shelf. Why wait for Xmas? Get it NOW! Has AB, AU, etc. :D

• While you’re at it, get the Ken Scott book, the Tony Visconti book, the Phill Brown book, the Bruce Swedien book, and on and on. Oh, and the mixerman diaries- essential read!

• edited October 2018

@mrufino1 said:
    While you’re at it, get the Ken Scott book, the Tony Visconti book, the Phill Brown book, the Bruce Swedien book, and on and on. Oh, and the mixerman diaries- essential read!

I'm currently reading 'My Last Sigh' which is the autobiography of Louis Bunuel, and while he was a film director (rather than an EDM producer/singer-songwriter) I have learned plenty about the process of making art that's directly applicable. It's also a hell of a good read and most certainly worth nudging Santa about...

• It's interesting that when reading this book a lot of the techniques used were Geoff's idea. When reading George Martin's book, they were his idea. Paul will say they were his. And John just kept asking to sound like a thousand chanting monks on a mountainside! :D

• @anickt said:
    It's interesting that when reading this book a lot of the techniques used were Geoff's idea. When reading George Martin's book, they were his idea. Paul will say they were his. And John just kept asking to sound like a thousand chanting monks on a mountainside! :D

T'was ever thus....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:
    It's interesting that when reading this book a lot of the techniques used were Geoff's idea. When reading George Martin's book, they were his idea. Paul will say they were his. And John just kept asking to sound like a thousand chanting monks on a mountainside! :D

T'was ever thus....

And t'will ever be!

• @anickt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

T'was ever thus....

And t'will ever be!

Yep. You were my grandmother in that other life and I claim my five pounds!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

T'was ever thus....

And t'will ever be!

Yep. You were my grandmother in that other life and I claim my five pounds!

:D

• edited October 2018

@anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

Interesting read for sure. Must pull my copy down from the shelf. Why wait for Xmas? Get it NOW! Has AB, AU, etc. :D

We inherited about ten thousand books a few months ago., which we’re slowly selling, or giving away. We live in a small house, that was already filled to the brim with books, but now it’s a pile of books with some bricks around it. If Mrs Monzo found out I’d been buying books, she’d nut me. Reckon I can swing it as a prezzie though ;)

• @MonzoPro said:

@anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

We inherited about ten thousand books a few months ago., which we’re slowly selling, or giving away. We live in a small house, that was already filled to the brim with books, but now it’s a pile of books with some bricks around it. If Mrs Monzo found out I’d been buying books, she’d nut me. Reckon I can swing it as a prezzie though ;)

That's what the kindle app is for! Ha!

• @mrufino1 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

Even as a Luddite dead tree lover, he’s right.....I find it reassuring to be on the plane with 800 books to read...

• edited October 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@mrufino1 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

Even as a Luddite dead tree lover, he’s right.....I find it reassuring to be on the plane with 800 books to read...

Amazingly out of all those books we inherited, there’s nothing there I actually want to read. I’m not a fan of 50’s crime novels, gardening with Geoff Hamilton, or endless Cliff Richards biographies. And efforts to sell seems to suggest I’m not the only one. Same with the 1000 or so classical music, Cliff Richards, shite opera and Michael Balls CD’s. Nothing to listen to there. If only she’d been into prog and music biographies (Cliff doesn’t count). I might try and re-tile our leaking roof with them.

• Sad news, indeed.

• edited October 2018

@MonzoPro said:
    Amazingly out of all those books we inherited, there’s nothing there I actually want to read. I’m not a fan of 50’s crime novels, gardening with Geoff Hamilton, or endless Cliff Richards biographies. And efforts to sell seems to suggest I’m not the only one. Same with the 1000 or so classical music, Cliff Richards, shite opera and Michael Balls CD’s. Nothing to listen to there. If only she’d been into prog and music biographies (Cliff doesn’t count). I might try and re-tile our leaking roof with them.

@supanorton said:
    Sad news, indeed.

Yeah about Geoff and the fact that out of all those books @MonzoPro pretty much ended up with stacks of rough toilet paper...

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@mrufino1 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

Some people inherit money.... :D

• @anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@mrufino1 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

Not in this family!

• @MonzoPro said:

@anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@mrufino1 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

Not in this family!

Nor mine my friend! ;)

• While Geoff’s production skills and obvious engineering skills. he was also the OILY rag ,those tape splicings ,early effects the dog work etc.and sharing that knowledge, I am very grateful. Thanks again.