Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GarageBand doesn’t see USB interface, other apps see it fine

GarageBand won’t recognize my Soundcraft mixer/interface via USB. It just doesn’t see anything plugged in, and neither does voice memos app.

Meanwhile, Audiobus, AUM, and AudioShare see all the inputs just fine. The problem survives a restart. Any ideas? Sometimes I just want to record a guitar, and I don’t need all the other apps.

Comments

• edited October 2018

@mistercharlie said:
    GarageBand won’t recognize my Soundcraft mixer/interface via USB. It just doesn’t see anything plugged in, and neither does voice memos app.

Meanwhile, Audiobus, AUM, and AudioShare see all the inputs just fine. The problem survives a restart. Any ideas? Sometimes I just want to record a guitar, and I don’t need all the other apps.

Try FreEWI by Audeonic Apps:
    https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/freewi/id485711674?l=en&mt=8

Edit: Sorry, you need audio channels, right? FreEWI is MIDI only.
    Audiobus should work however.

Input: Selected channels of the audio interface
    Output: Garageband.

• Yes, audio. I can record via AUM or whatever, I’d just like to fix it. GB plays fine OUT through the same interface, also.

• Here I've connected input channels 7+8 of my USB audio interface to Garageband's input:

• Check you have mic input enabled in preferences (general from the idevice). Sometimes when update OS the checkbox gets not set as default until OS ask again for it. Like notifications and so...

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Check you have mic input enabled in preferences (general from the idevice). Sometimes when update OS the checkbox gets not set as default until OS ask again for it. Like notifications and so...

That seems fine. I just updated to iOS 12.1 beta on iPad, so I’ll check to see if that fixes it. I’ll also test an iPhone, to narrow down the cause.

• Looks like it was a glitch specific to my iPad. Works fine on iPhone running iOS 12. Also working now on the iPad that I updated to the new iOS 12.1 beta.

• edited October 2018

It’s actually NOT fixed. All the inputs show up in GarageBand, but none of them receives an input. So, I can select any of the sources from the USB interface, but when I play guitar, there’s no signal showing.

I can, however, record by using AUM, as mentioned.

This is iPad only. Works fine on my iPhone.

• Did you check the microphone settings as @Dubbylabby suggested? That seems like the most likely cause.

• I had similar issues with my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 in iOS GarageBand, what I had to do was uninstall GarageBand, reinstall, and then it worked. Hope that helps!

• @wim said:
    Did you check the microphone settings as @Dubbylabby suggested? That seems like the most likely cause.

I did, but not closely enough. I just checked the list for apps that had mic access switched off. On closer inspection, GarageBand isn’t in that list at all. I shall delete and reinstall it now, to see if that helps.

• There’s a reset GarageBand toggle in GarageBand’s settings in the settings app. Worth a try...