Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Electronic Music with a focus on singing/lyrics

In this thread, I implore you to share with me electronic music artists/groups where there is a focus on vocals and lyrics.

I come from a largely rock background and that is mostly what my friends/family listen to. I've basically long been the guy in the band that liked synthesizers and other electro elements, but mostly they got vetoed or pushed down in the mix by other band mates. But I finally ended up with a friend that was similarly situated and now I'm hear wanting more style reference points.

I am pretty open-minded about singing, where I'd say I love folks most would agree on like Chris Cornell, all the way ranging to Tom Waits. So instead, I say, a focus on singing. I just don't usually get into instrumental music. And I am quickly turned off by bad lyrics. But totally open-minded about what language the words are in.

Not asking for hip hop because I already have a lot of that.

Comments

• Obvious choice would be ChVrches.

Also worth listening to:

The Naked and the Famous
    Lanterns on the Lake
    Broken Bells
    Future Islands
    Oh Wonder

I'll post some YT links.

• The Naked and the Famous - What We Want:

• One of my current favorites. WARNING: Subgenre of electronic music that NOBODY listens to apart from myself and my closest friend 😂

• Sunday Girl - Self Control

• Lanterns On The Lake - Until The Colours Run

• An old favourite: Chairlift - Bruises

• Broken Bells - Holding On For Life

• Future Islands - Seasons

• Oh Wonder - Without You

• edited October 2018

VNV Nation (later era more so)
    Project Pitchfork (not 100%)
    Assemblage 23 (later era more so)
    IAMX
    Seabound
    The Birthday Massacre (not exactly electronic and hit or miss on quality lyrics)

Those are off the top of my head as I’m walking.

• Thank you all. Will be great subway listening later today. Keep em coming.

• edited October 2018

I always liked Imogen Heap and her take on Electronic pop. Frou Frou's Details was a really good electronic pop album

• edited October 2018

Jeez, that’s a massive potential range of stuff @Multicellular ! Is there a particular vibe you are looking for? Eg your rock background might imply darker sounding stuff like Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode etc (ok those examples not exactly hidden gems but some great lyrics) or is that way off the mark?

• edited October 2018

@zeroG said:
    Jeez, that’s a massive potential range of stuff @Multicellular ! Is there a particular vibe you are looking for? Eg your rock background might imply darker sounding stuff like Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode etc (ok those examples not exactly hidden gems but some great lyrics) or is that way off the mark?

No I am truly very open-minded. I'm a huge music slut. I just consume and consume new music and this is an area I feel I am lacking in. But to say that, well, I probably have 50-75 albums that fit my description here. e.g. I own every full album by NIN and Depeche Mode. But its all relative haha. I have Terabytes of rock mp3s.

But I guess by 'good lyrics' I hope to exclude lowest common denominator pop.

Would love your top 5 or 10.

• Delerium / Conjure One

• @Syngularity said:
    Delerium / Conjure One

:thumbsup: ;)

• For thought provoking lyrics you can’t beat Porcupine Tree. They do have guitars but synth also features prominently (they let the synth guy turn his parts up :D ) and there’s all sorts of interesting Fx and production tricks going on. Some of Steven Wilson’s (PT’s main man) solo stuff is very cool - more experimental, some of it very electronic - and I’d say well worth a look but that’s another story. Anyway here’s some PT for your delectation:

• @zeroG said:
    For thought provoking lyrics you can’t beat Porcupine Tree. They do have guitars but synth also features prominently (they let the synth guy turn his parts up :D ) and there’s all sorts of interesting Fx and production tricks going on. Some of Steven Wilson’s (PT’s main man) solo stuff is very cool - more experimental, some of it very electronic - and I’d say well worth a look but that’s another story. Anyway here’s some PT for your delectation:

Yes...yes, I like that guy.

• edited October 2018

@richardyot said:
    Lanterns On The Lake - Until The Colours Run

Favorite so far.
    Bonus points for the octopus.

My left arm:

• Am making a playlist of all these suggestions too :)

Here’s another (could’ve picked any from this album)

• I’ve been digging Sylvan Esso I think they might even be mainstream.

• Binge cringe on the fringe
    Sloppy mincing eye dropping
    Biopsy cyclops overlooks
    Optic options
    Rotten showstopper skinpopper
    Babbler dabbler
    Self confessed criminal
    Tore pen in vain
    Instant still spellbound
    Game stock talk back rock
    Re-encounter incident
    Subsistence existent
    Non committed
    Unwitted oblivious
    Habitual resistor
    Buff the stuff
    Roughed up edge
    Fluent nudge
    Pre-collect ignition
    Motivation inexistent

Wasted views
    That's all they see blue
    Hot blood guild
    Optic nerve
    With the right attitude
    You will succeed blue
    Self abusive recluse
    Too late for me
    Make shifting peace
    Settling crazy things
    Keep your eyes open
    Soft spoken changes nothing
    A view so cruel

Dogs body comatose
    Torchlight roast
    Disinterest
    Disinfect
    Retold impressed
    By possession
    Insiders know refresh
    Detained contest
    Off and pure
    Sure tonight
    It feeds itself freeze in time
    Or shadows climb distracting override
    Instincts evolve
    And try over and over

Wasted truth
    Why call at all blue
    Hot lines
    Eventual decline
    With the right attitude
    You will succeed blue
    Resent that discontent
    Sidestep
    Define the state of things
    So far
    Crazy things
    A view so cruel

• This album by Anja Garbarek has always been one of my favourite female vocal electronics albums

• Laika album from 1996 on Too Pure

• Ultravox (especially the John Foxx years)

• Whitehouse 🤣