Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Adobe - Project Rush [For folks interested in video editing etc]

Don't know how much you guys already know about the new Adobe thang Project Rush, but here's an intro video from Premiere Gal who is a very good resource for (yup) all things Premiere and beyond...looks like it might be fun on-the-go editing tool, but -for me- the key being that you can open Project Rush files in Premiere....

Comments

• Interesting....

• edited October 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Don't know how much you guys already know about the new Adobe thang Project Rush, but here's an intro video from Premiere Gal who is a very good resource for (yup) all things Premiere and beyond...looks like it might be fun on-the-go editing tool, but -for me- the key being that you can open Project Rush files in Premiere....

I guess that is the only thing it seems. Everything else looks kinda pretty basic, same as iMovie. I might be wrong, of course. Need to try it.
    Has anyone tried Lumafusion? This looks like a proper editor to me. Still haven't pulled a trigger though...
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/lumafusion/id1062022008?mt=8

• @zhoe said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I guess that is the only thing it seems. Everything else looks kinda pretty basic, same as iMovie.
    Has anyone tried Lumafusion? This looks like a proper editor to me. Still haven't pulled a trigger though...

I have the older brother Pinnacle Studio and it gets the job done. I have made some very good videos with it and seems to have most of the tools needed.

• @zhoe said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I guess that is the only thing it seems. Everything else looks kinda pretty basic, same as iMovie. I might be wrong, of course. Need to try it.

There is a lot of play hereabouts if you have a search as regards Luma and lots of love also :)

• @JudgeDredd said:
    I have the older brother Pinnacle Studio and it gets the job done. I have made some very good videos with it and seems to have most of the tools needed.

Cool, I didn’t even know this existed! :) Do you have the pro version, and how this app compares to Lumafusion?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@zhoe said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

There is a lot of play hereabouts if you have a search as regards Luma and lots of love also :)

Will defo check, cheers! :)

• edited October 2018

@zhoe said:

@JudgeDredd said:

Cool, I didn’t even know this existed! :) Do you have the pro version, and how this app compares to Lumafusion?

Really? We can touch Adobe Rush with our fingers on our phone, zoom, trim and edit videos on the go? We can export directly to YouTube, Facebook, etc?? Wow! Why don't they tell us something that we don't already know or have it already for ages? Even the basic little iMovie app does all that and it is free too! Apparently, every one - except Adobe - knows these apps already exist. They are so late to the game and hyping it up! The icing on the cake was when they said we could store our videos on their cloud drive and access on our computer - that needs a $UBSCRIPTION!! This is where Adobe is hated the most - Premiere costs so much in monthly subscription compared to Final Cut Pro which is just a one-time purchase - not to mention Premiere is an overkill for most YouTubers who don't need CC - it is usually used by graphic design companies who don't mind paying subscription. MKBHD uses FCPX just fine and creates 8K videos using the expensive RED cameras! For all the money they are milking from their customers, Adobe didn't bother to spruce up their PDF app for ages - it still has the UGLIEST forms and editing like it was developed by a 7-year old kid.

Corel acquired Pinnacle Studio from Luma Touch and later Corel abandoned Pinnacle (I still like its name and icon though compared to LumaFusion's :smile:). If you see its version history on the AppStore page, the last update was made in 2016:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pinnacle-studio-pro/id552100086?mt=8

I guess after the acquisition, LumaTouch was still maintaining Pinnacle coding and updates (because they knew it inside-out) for Corel for as long as Corel did not abandon it. But since Luma Touch had the source code of Pinnacle, they continued/forked it as LumaFusion after Corel abandoned Pinnacle (not sure what their licensing agreement was with Corel) making us to repurchase LumaFusion for latest updates and features. This is why the UI of Pinnacle and LumaFusion were the exact same and we see LumaFusion tutorial videos mixed up with the old Pinnacle tutorial videos (in this case, Luma did not update their videos but just reused their old videos). This fiasco reminds me of the old Music Studio and FL Studio apps.

Now, if Apple releases Final Cut Pro on iOS this year (as per the rumor) for less than the cost of Luma with more features than Luma, that would be a double-waste of money - once with Pinnacle and the second time with LumaFusion. Suggest that you wait until Nov to see what Apple is up to. Buying the abandoned Pinnacle for $13 doesn't make any sense (Corel did not even bother to lower its price on the AppStore) - you could instead buy LumaFusion for a few more dollars (or for less at Black Friday / Christmas sale price - while the price of Pinnacle Studio will remain unchanged forever!) and receive all the free updates and features forever.

Pinnacle Studio still works if you have it (I still have it) but it lacks the latest features of LumaFusion which is the best on iOS as of today. The biggest shortcoming of LumaFusion (and Pinnacle) I faced is with its 3 video/photo/title tracks limitation. These 3 tracks are all we have to place our videos, photos and titles and it has been hindering my creativity. Sure, we could layer images inside title tracks or export videos of multiple tracks and use the exported videos on a track to gain more tracks but those are cumbersome. I needed at least one more track and asked Luma who was reluctant to add it saying when users try to open the projects on older devices, they may suffer from performance issues. After persistent follow up (and suggestions to hide the 4th track on older devices if needed), they agreed to add the 4th track in v1.8 and a few more title/photo tracks. It still has another 3 tracks of audio (like it is in Pinnacle) but I never used more than 2 audio tracks in my projects so there is no issue with the number of audio tracks it has.

• @MobileMusic You certainly have very energetic views :) For what it's worth I'm quite in favor of Adobe, but then I'm a pretty simple amateur who is just fiddling about and happens to have CC in my office...

• Well if you're already on the CC sub for work, then it's a worth a look. I have to say though, Affinity + BlackMagic are making me question my monthly Adobe tax bill... I'm still paying it for now, but Affinity Photo could easily replace Photoshop for me, and this is coming from someone who has been using Photoshop since version 2.0

Premiere is nice, quick and easy to use, but I could switch Da Vinci Resolve without too much sweat, and Resolve comes with a compositor (Fusion) now, so it's arguably more powerful than Premiere + After Effects.

I think Adobe realise that they are vulnerable, which is why they're releasing apps like Rush, to try and keep the value proposition alive. The ever-expanding suite is their only real strength.

• @richardyot said:
    Well if you're already on the CC sub for work, then it's a worth a look. I have to say though, Affinity + BlackMagic are making me question my monthly Adobe tax bill... I'm still paying it for now, but Affinity Photo could easily replace Photoshop for me, and this is coming from someone who has been using Photoshop since version 2.0

Yeah me too. I even used to run Adobe training courses that included Photoshop as well, but Affinity Photo does the job for me now - I ditched PS a year or so ago and have used Photo on a daily basis ever since. Designer too, has replaced Illustrator.

Photo does have some annoying quirks - and there's a few things I definitely miss with Photoshop, but Photo cost me £20...once....and I can forgive a lot for that kind of deal. Designer does everything I need it to, and I've even used it for basic DTP while waiting for Publisher to arrive (recently got the Beta, and it's great).

Doubt it's on the cards, but if Affinity did a Premiere type thing Adobe would take a serious hit in profits.

If you're on a budget, or just want to save a few grand on your Adobe bill, Affinity is definitely worth looking at.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Doubt it's on the cards, but if Affinity did a Premiere type thing Adobe would take a serious hit in profits.

Have you tried BlackMagic's DaVinci Resolve? It used to cost something insane like £100k, but it's now free to use. It started life as a colour grading package and as such was used widely in the film industry, but now they've added editing and compositing, it's basically Nuke X but without the £10k price tag.

• @richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:

Have you tried BlackMagic's DaVinci Resolve? It used to cost something insane like £100k, but it's now free to use. It started life as a colour grading package and as such was used widely in the film industry, but now they've added editing and compositing, it's basically Nuke X but without the £10k price tag.

Haven’t heard of that one, will take a look, thanks.

• @MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:

Haven’t heard of that one, will take a look, thanks.

Me too.

• @richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:

I tried Fusion a while back as a possible replacement for AfterEffects, but just couldn't get comfortable with it. Perhaps Resolve isn't as great a workflow leap? Nothing stopping me from giving it a try, I suppose. It's about the only thing keeping me on the CC teat these days.

• edited October 2018

@aaronpc said:

@richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:

I tried Fusion a while back as a possible replacement for AfterEffects, but just couldn't get comfortable with it. Perhaps Resolve isn't as great a workflow leap? Nothing stopping me from giving it a try, I suppose. It's about the only thing keeping me on the CC teat these days.

I love Fusion, but obviously it's a very different beast to After Effects. I've done a bit of work in feature film so I know Nuke, which is the compositor every Hollywood movie uses, and Fusion is basically 90% of Nuke at 0% of the cost.

After Effects is layer based, and Fusion is node based, so it takes a while to grok the workflow if you're not used to using nodes. But ultimately nodes are a lot more powerful because you can reuse connections anywhere you want, whereas in AE you would have to make nested precomps to achieve the same kind of thing. Once you know it, Fusion is a lot faster, but the learning curve is real.

Imagine creating an animated mask by using levels or curves based on the underlying footage (for example), in AE it's not that easy to reuse it elsewhere, but in Fusion it's trivial because you just plug the node into whatever you want. However it takes a little time to understand the flow of the node graph and the pixel operations. I would say it's well worth it though.

But yes, Resolve is much easier to use, it's a standard NLE video editor, so you don't have the same kind of paradigm shift.

• @richardyot said:

@aaronpc said:

@richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:

I love Fusion, but obviously it's a very different beast to After Effects. I've done a bit of work in feature film so I know Nuke, which is the compositor every Hollywood movie uses, and Fusion is basically 90% of Nuke at 0% of the cost.

After Effects is layer based, and Fusion is node based, so it takes a while to grok the workflow if you're not used to using nodes. But ultimately nodes are a lot more powerful because you can reuse connections anywhere you want, whereas in AE you would have to make nested precomps to achieve the same kind of thing. Once you know it, Fusion is a lot faster, but the learning curve is real.

Imagine creating an animated mask by using levels or curves based on the underlying footage (for example), in AE it's not that easy to reuse it elsewhere, but in Fusion it's trivial because you just plug the node into whatever you want. However it takes a little time to understand the flow of the node graph and the pixel operations. I would say it's well worth it though.

But yes, Resolve is much easier to use, it's a standard NLE video editor, so you don't have the same kind of paradigm shift.

Thanks for the info. I've been using nodes in Blender since trying Fusion, so I'm a little more comfortable with the concept. I'll give it another go.

• @MobileMusic said:

@zhoe said:

@JudgeDredd said:

Really? We can touch Adobe Rush with our fingers on our phone, zoom, trim and edit videos on the go? We can export directly to YouTube, Facebook, etc?? Wow! Why don't they tell us something that we don't already know or have it already for ages? Even the basic little iMovie app does all that and it is free too! Apparently, every one - except Adobe - knows these apps already exist. They are so late to the game and hyping it up! The icing on the cake was when they said we could store our videos on their cloud drive and access on our computer - that needs a $UBSCRIPTION!! This is where Adobe is hated the most - Premiere costs so much in monthly subscription compared to Final Cut Pro which is just a one-time purchase - not to mention Premiere is an overkill for most YouTubers who don't need CC - it is usually used by graphic design companies who don't mind paying subscription. MKBHD uses FCPX just fine and creates 8K videos using the expensive RED cameras! For all the money they are milking from their customers, Adobe didn't bother to spruce up their PDF app for ages - it still has the UGLIEST forms and editing like it was developed by a 7-year old kid.

Corel acquired Pinnacle Studio from Luma Touch and later Corel abandoned Pinnacle (I still like its name and icon though compared to LumaFusion's :smile:). If you see its version history on the AppStore page, the last update was made in 2016:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pinnacle-studio-pro/id552100086?mt=8

I guess after the acquisition, LumaTouch was still maintaining Pinnacle coding and updates (because they knew it inside-out) for Corel for as long as Corel did not abandon it. But since Luma Touch had the source code of Pinnacle, they continued/forked it as LumaFusion after Corel abandoned Pinnacle (not sure what their licensing agreement was with Corel) making us to repurchase LumaFusion for latest updates and features. This is why the UI of Pinnacle and LumaFusion were the exact same and we see LumaFusion tutorial videos mixed up with the old Pinnacle tutorial videos (in this case, Luma did not update their videos but just reused their old videos). This fiasco reminds me of the old Music Studio and FL Studio apps.

Now, if Apple releases Final Cut Pro on iOS this year (as per the rumor) for less than the cost of Luma with more features than Luma, that would be a double-waste of money - once with Pinnacle and the second time with LumaFusion. Suggest that you wait until Nov to see what Apple is up to. Buying the abandoned Pinnacle for $13 doesn't make any sense (Corel did not even bother to lower its price on the AppStore) - you could instead buy LumaFusion for a few more dollars (or for less at Black Friday / Christmas sale price - while the price of Pinnacle Studio will remain unchanged forever!) and receive all the free updates and features forever.

Pinnacle Studio still works if you have it (I still have it) but it lacks the latest features of LumaFusion which is the best on iOS as of today. The biggest shortcoming of LumaFusion (and Pinnacle) I faced is with its 3 video/photo/title tracks limitation. These 3 tracks are all we have to place our videos, photos and titles and it has been hindering my creativity. Sure, we could layer images inside title tracks or export videos of multiple tracks and use the exported videos on a track to gain more tracks but those are cumbersome. I needed at least one more track and asked Luma who was reluctant to add it saying when users try to open the projects on older devices, they may suffer from performance issues. After persistent follow up (and suggestions to hide the 4th track on older devices if needed), they agreed to add the 4th track in v1.8 and a few more title/photo tracks. It still has another 3 tracks of audio (like it is in Pinnacle) but I never used more than 2 audio tracks in my projects so there is no issue with the number of audio tracks it has.

Wow, very thorough explanation and detailed info, Thanks a lot!

• edited October 2018

@zhoe said:

Now, if Apple releases Final Cut Pro on iOS this year (as per the rumor) for less than the cost of Luma with more features than Luma, that would be a double-waste of money - once with Pinnacle and the second time with LumaFusion.

Actually, if Apple releases FCPX on iOS (as rumored), it would be a triple-waste from having bought all of these - Pinnacle Studio Pro, Luma FX (now this is included in LumaFusion) and LumaFusion. I purchased all of these. Pinnacle is a well-designed app but a victim of bad planning and execution from multiple acquisitions. Luma FX should have been part of Pinnacle Studio from the beginning which would have been the right design. I guess someone coined the word "fiasco" after seeing such disasters :neutral:

• @MobileMusic said:

@zhoe said:

Now, if Apple releases Final Cut Pro on iOS this year (as per the rumor) for less than the cost of Luma with more features than Luma, that would be a double-waste of money - once with Pinnacle and the second time with LumaFusion.

Actually, if Apple releases FCPX on iOS (as rumored), it would be a triple-waste from having bought all of these - Pinnacle Studio Pro, Luma FX (now this is included in LumaFusion) and LumaFusion. I purchased all of these. Pinnacle is a well-designed app but a victim of bad planning and execution from multiple acquisitions. Luma FX should have been part of Pinnacle Studio from the beginning which would have been the right design. I guess someone coined the word "fiasco" after seeing such disasters :neutral:

True, but that is the nature of the iOS or Android app computing. You often pay for something you might use once or twice, looking for that perfect app. If you compare, however, apps of today vs apps of ten years ago, it is a day and night. So, in essence, with our purchasing power we made that happen. It is highly unlikely devs would be working days and nights for a product that is always free. I look at it this way, the early adopters and the pioneers forced the big boys to start making professional apps.
    I had a Beatmaker 1 in 2007 or 2008, can’t remember now. Akai, Steinberg, Korg etc didn’t have a single app for years. But now you have them doing big leaps. At the end of the day, I did spend a lot of money on apps in the last ten years, but that would buy me two desktop programs. Apps are still affordable comparing to desktop softwares. So, if FCPX ends up costing £20 or similar, that will in total be 50-60 spent on all apps that you mentioned. In the bigger scheme of things, that is not too bad, you might agree.
    Let’s hope we start getting a truly professional apps and even better customer support :)