Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Crackle with two zeeons and gestrument

Is it normal to have a crackle fest with just two instances of zeeon in AUM being controlled by just two cursurs in gestrument?
It's cracking out like crazy, I've restarted my iPad and nothing else is running..
IPad pro 2018 with iOS 11.

Comments

• It's fine just playing, but if I even try to switch between apps or adjust things, it's impossible haha

• edited September 2018

Dsp in AUM reads 40% when playing but over 140% if I touch anything

• 90-97 % if I record the instances to mix bus a

• What's the buffer size in AUM?
    Some threads here at the forum indicate iOS12 can potentially reduce crackle too...

• do you have a 9’7 iPad Pro? Yeah having AU UI open seems to add a massive amount of cpu processing. Is it to do with iOS prioritising graphics over Audio? Anyway it’s really annoying to see the cpu spike in this manner.

• 64 ..... Is that bad 😂
    I never really studied buffer things so don't really understand em..

@Samu said:
    What's the buffer size in AUM?
    Some threads here at the forum indicate iOS12 can potentially reduce crackle too...

• @[Deleted User] said:
    do you have a 9’7 iPad Pro? Yeah having AU UI open seems to add a massive amount of cpu processing. Is it to do with iOS prioritising graphics over Audio? Anyway it’s really annoying to see the cpu spike in this manner.

Ya the 9.7... Dang graphics should be second to audio !! That is annoying

• @reasOne said:
    64 ..... Is that bad 😂

@Samu said:

Try 256, 64 is pushing it regardless of which iPad is in use since most apps are optimised for 256...

• awesome man ! Thanks for the tip, that shit worked a lot better now

@Samu said:

@reasOne said:
    64 ..... Is that bad 😂

@Samu said:

Try 256, 64 is pushing it regardless of which iPad is in use since most apps are optimised for 256...

• I had 5 going with Gestrument, but, I was using 256. Seems like the problem is solved.

• @reasOne said:
    64 ..... Is that bad 😂

@Samu said:

The small buffer makes playing snappier . If you press a note on key , pad ,you hear almost instantly the sound . But as you found out it needs much CPU .
    If you go above 512 you may notice “lag” but gives the CPU enough time to calculate the audio
    So, you can set it even higher (512 or even 1024) if you like it :)

• edited October 2018

You only "need" a small buffer when playing live, to reduce the delay between pressing the key and a sound playing. If you're not really playing live, use a larger buffer to relieve stress on the system (esp CPU) - which means more instruments and effects can be playing.

256 roughly equals 5ms of delay. A lot of desktop external audio interfaces can't easily get below 128, and 64 is really fast (~1ms delay). 256 feels pretty good when playing live. But 512+ is even better... if you're just arranging things and not playing live. I usually use 1024 at those times.

"They" say that somewhere between 5-10ms delay is when you really start to notice the lag when playing live if you're paying attention - or are a very skilled pianist etc.