Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Most reliable iOS to windows midi over usb?

edited September 2018 in App Tips and Tricks

I am currently using studiomux to send midi from two iPhones to a windows 10 machine but the studiomux windows server is very buggy and the midi stops working after about ten minutes every time and needs to be quit and relaunched, It behaves as if there is a hidden short cut detection setting when there is too much midi coming in or it just gets overwhelmed(seems unlikely) I’m only using it for midi —— I am running a clean install of windows 10 everything else working great

What are the most reliable ways to get midi from an iOS device to a PC? Are there other apps/solutions available? I am familiar with Music IO but it looks like their Windows app isn’t fully supported- are there other solutions or alternatives people like?

Thank you so much!!

Comments

• Do you have any 5 pin midi on your audio interface for your pc? If so a simple 1-in 1-out USB to MIDI Interface from a powered usb hub to that 5 pin port and it will work great. You’ll need a cck.

• Thank you for your reply. I do not have an audio or midi interface and would like to avoid getting one if possible. I am currently just going from the iphones to the windows laptop via standard lighting to usb cables with studiomux handling the midi. Are there reliable software/app based solutions?

• Well. The most reliable midi to PC is pretty much just hardware. The main reason I bought the iconnectivity ica4+ was unreliable midi over usb.

• I've hardly done this so I can't vouch for it's reliability but network midi is another option.

• edited September 2018

I've answered this question here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/544280#Comment_544280

Have you tried the Windows server anyway?

• Your answer is only valid for macos. Sadly on windows even music io isn't good enough.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

Your answer is only valid for macos. Sadly on windows even music io isn't good enough.

I'll have a look what the Win plugins can do - indeed, the ratings are quite bad :/

• @rs2000 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Your answer is only valid for macos. Sadly on windows even music io isn't good enough.

I'll have a look what the Win plugins can do - indeed, the ratings are quite bad :/

I just gave up and bought hardware :(

• edited September 2018

~

• I find the most reliable way is MIDI over WiFi. Couple ms of latency but I find it really fast (the program to install on Windows is freeware).

The studiomux server won't even run for me anymore in Windows.

Otherwise you'll want to try the CCK plus a USB to MIDI cable. Hmm. There might be a lightning to midi cable... I haven't checked.

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    I find the most reliable way is MIDI over WiFi. Couple ms of latency but I find it really fast (the program to install on Windows is freeware).

The studiomux server won't even run for me anymore in Windows.

Otherwise you'll want to try the CCK plus a USB to MIDI cable. Hmm. There might be a lightning to midi cable... I haven't checked.

Thank you so much for this- what wifi midi implementation do you like best for windows? I have had a lot of trouble getting that to work as well but will try again

• I use rtpMIDI. Sometimes I have to launch the program on windows before it'll work so I just added it to the start bar as a shortcut. I then make sure my iPhone is connected and it works from there almost like magic.

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    I use rtpMIDI. Sometimes I have to launch the program on windows before it'll work so I just added it to the start bar as a shortcut. I then make sure my iPhone is connected and it works from there almost like magic.

Awesome and what protocol do you use to connect? Are you on the same WiFi network or do you create an ad-hoc network from the pc? Or do you share a personal hotspot from the phone? I usually do the personal hotspot route but have had a difficult time getting this to work consistently

• Oh - yeah, I've only ever used it at my house on the same wifi network. I haven't tried anything else.... but now I'm kind of curious :smile:

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    Oh - yeah, I've only ever used it at my house on the same wifi network. I haven't tried anything else.... but now I'm kind of curious :smile:

I live in a van so no proper WiFi everything happens over hot spot- after much fiddling I am extremely happy to say I think I have found a stable solution ( hotspots originating from an iPhone don’t seem to work well when multiple iPhones get involved)

This seems to work great:

On windows 10 create a mobile hotspot or ‘ad hoc network’

Have the two phones join this network

Run rtp midi

TAAAADAAAA🎩🤩🐇

Shocked but seems to run much smoother and reliably than usb tethered connection via studiomux or midimux

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO COMMENTED WITH POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌