Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ian Pooley on swing

Check what Ian Pooley has to say about the uniqueness of the MPC3000 swing. Can anyone explain what makes its swing different?

Comments

• Thanks. He seems like a nice guy.

• Good piece. Utter nerd and a purist. Like him.

• Been rocking his records for years!

• @gusgranite not sure of the technical details, but is the answer ‘roger linn’?!

https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/interview/roger-linn-swing-groove-magic-mpc-timing/

if you use ableton there some free MPC (and Maschine) grooves here:

https://www.f9-audio.com/products/f9-swing-grooves?variant=1549361473

B)

• I've enjoyed the vid, total ad for gear junkies. I was hoping to learn something more about how that elusive swing works. I guess it is too elusive?

• Great video, great guy...A house legend ! Comments on the video about the mpc swing are epic :D

omho, as it's a dedicated hardware, the swing is more regular/stable even if you can emulate it with Live or an other DAW during a certain time, but maybe not with a loop playing for hours to get it "right" as he does...

• @supadom said:
    I've enjoyed the vid, total ad for gear junkies. I was hoping to learn something more about how that elusive swing works. I guess it is too elusive?

Check the Roger Linn interview Artefact2001 posted.

Anyway I have an MPC60 & find the swing in BM3 is just as good. Actually BM3 was the first app I've used that swings nicely.

What makes the MPC nice is the way everything grooves on it and that is what you can't recreate so easily.

• @BroCoast said:

@supadom said:
    I've enjoyed the vid, total ad for gear junkies. I was hoping to learn something more about how that elusive swing works. I guess it is too elusive?

Check the Roger Linn interview Artefact2001 posted.

Anyway I have an MPC60 & find the swing in BM3 is just as good. Actually BM3 was the first app I've used that swings nicely.

What makes the MPC nice is the way everything grooves on it and that is what you can't recreate so easily.

That’s why folks dig imprecise analogue gear so much, especially sequencers. Not that Mpcs are analog.

Samplr has got a mind on its own at times ;)

• Modstep's swing is kinda cool to me...
    Also really love the swing of the Arturia DrumBrute Impact :)

• I think in another interview Linn elaborates more on the midi jitter of the old mpc´s and that this may contribute to the ´beautiful´ swing many people appreciate.
    Maybe one day someone will come out with a midi-fx-AU that will reintroduce imperfections to the midi-streams just like RX950 did to audio. :-)

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rozeta sequencer has a "jitter TR-808" like feature, and works pretty good !

lol @Max23 might be true...Anyway, Ian Pooley still rocks with his oldschool workflow :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’ve always liked GrooveRider’s “MPC” groove templates for hats ‘n stuff. I don’t know if they have any actual resemblance to the MPC groove, but I do know I like them a lot.

• @Max23 said:
    I never had a mpc but a lot of the yadda yadda is just some old guys remembering/romanticizing their first love and midi yitter, nothing to get hung up on ;)
    Don’t believe the hype,
    If logic/live doesn’t groove for you, it’s your musical ability, not logic or what have you. ;)
    BTW. Ian pooley is from Mainz.

Dude you have NO idea ...Hype?

• edited September 2018

the insecurity surrounding the mpc is funny... love the instrument though, and Ian knows his shit.

• Yep, he’s a top producer.

Thanks for the Linn info @Artefact2001

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@stormbeats said:

@Max23 said:
    I never had a mpc but a lot of the yadda yadda is just some old guys remembering/romanticizing their first love and midi yitter, nothing to get hung up on ;)
    Don’t believe the hype,
    If logic/live doesn’t groove for you, it’s your musical ability, not logic or what have you. ;)

the old hiphop guys are obsessed with Mpc 60 & sp 12 ;)

Yes indeed and 12bit sampling like with my Akai S950 as seen in my profile pic Though I must say Grooverider GR16 and BM3 are very very impressive

• @stormbeats said:

@Max23 said:

@stormbeats said:

@Max23 said:
    Don’t believe the hype,

the old hiphop guys are obsessed with Mpc 60 & sp 12 ;)

Yes indeed and 12bit sampling like with my Akai S950 as seen in my profile pic Though I must say Grooverider GR16 and BM3 are very very impressive

Yeppers.

• @Max23 said:
    Don’t believe the hype,

I'm a young guy with an MPC. Logic/Live grooves fine but MPC does have a little magic with subtle swing and whatever happens in that box. It's not even an effect I'd want all the time but hey it's pretty nice around the 80bpm range.

• I knew he was a swinger

• @gusgranite said:
    That’s nice @kobamoto

interesting thing about that clip is that he's emulating one of the most famous 'dilla grooves" that dilla made with the coveted mpc 3000, but he's only moving the hats in live, while keeping the kick/snare straight on the grid.

• edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.