Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 update

Comments

• I’m a huge lover of bm3, but this thread has really got me looking forward to this app, what with the automation issues in bm3.

• It’s gonna pain me so much to not be able to have this on iPhone right away. There’s nothing I want more than NS on my phone again.

I know I’ll buy it on my iPad right away and not really use it until the universal version comes out.

• @universe said:

@AudioGus said:

@universe said:

@AudioGus said:

@Dawdles said:
    So much hype! Curious to finally see what all the fuss is about...

I never used NS1 but aparently BM3 does some similar things in the sequencer that I like so I am already pumped.

I am just hoping for solid AU automation of all available parameters. The ability to split/merge pattern clips without losing automation alignment would be awesome. BM3s pattern automation breaks when you split a pattern which was a huge disappointment. NS2 has a sampler that supports super long wav files aparently, and I dont actually tax the BM3 sampler feature set too much (modulation etc) as is so who knows... could hold up in this regard well enough for me.

This could be a nice lean mean Groovedaw that usurps BM3 for me or I just go back to BM3... or if BM3.1 ever comes out, fixes the bugs and Link works again etc the two could play well together. Would be curious about the file system / export ability measuring up though as that is a huge strength of BM3, Anyway, I don’t expect it to cost too much and I am an app nerd so gimme gimme.

Yep your thoughts on this equal mine completely.
    Ps re pattern automation in bm3 as a work around, could you duplicate the pattern and then shorten them both in either direction to create two patterns which then retain the automation ?

Hmmm, that sounds like an onterwting workaround... but how does one shorten from the front?

Oh yes forgot about that. You’d have to select all midi and move it to the start of the duplicated clip I guess.

onterwting? Wtf?

• edited September 2018

@Dawdles said:

For me, if this app is as good as NS1, in terms of workflow, stability and efficiency of the code (I just really was blown away by NS1 when I recently got it for use on iPad 2) then I will be more than happy. Au hosting? Yes! The drum samples, new synths and IAPs are just icing. Then, he adds audio recording later as an IAP. These make it my ultimate app for one particular “mode” of work for me. Proviso - if it performs as well as NS1.

I have ApeMatrix, Senode, StepPolyArp, Quantum, KEW and GR-16 for other modes.

The trick for me will be taking the more experimental stuff and finding a way to make that complete in NS2. That is my future and I’m way excited about it !!

edit my goodness I have a lot of apps ... sheesh.

• @AudioGus said:

onterwting? Wtf?

That would translate from dutch as the ‘removal of all peas’ 😂

• @denx said:

@AudioGus said:

onterwting? Wtf?

ik dacht dat het was een echte vreemd nederlands woord, mijn nederlands is niet zo goed.

• @AudioGus said:

@universe said:

@AudioGus said:

@universe said:

@AudioGus said:

@Dawdles said:

I never used NS1 but aparently BM3 does some similar things in the sequencer that I like so I am already pumped.

I am just hoping for solid AU automation of all available parameters. The ability to split/merge pattern clips without losing automation alignment would be awesome. BM3s pattern automation breaks when you split a pattern which was a huge disappointment. NS2 has a sampler that supports super long wav files aparently, and I dont actually tax the BM3 sampler feature set too much (modulation etc) as is so who knows... could hold up in this regard well enough for me.

This could be a nice lean mean Groovedaw that usurps BM3 for me or I just go back to BM3... or if BM3.1 ever comes out, fixes the bugs and Link works again etc the two could play well together. Would be curious about the file system / export ability measuring up though as that is a huge strength of BM3, Anyway, I don’t expect it to cost too much and I am an app nerd so gimme gimme.

Yep your thoughts on this equal mine completely.
    Ps re pattern automation in bm3 as a work around, could you duplicate the pattern and then shorten them both in either direction to create two patterns which then retain the automation ?

Hmmm, that sounds like an onterwting workaround... but how does one shorten from the front?

Oh yes forgot about that. You’d have to select all midi and move it to the start of the duplicated clip I guess.

onterwting? Wtf?

Yeah it took me a minute to try and use my powers of lateral thinking to work out what that typo meant. Had no luck. So thought I’d quietly let it slip. But u may need to see a doctor

• I had the orig but didn’t really have time to do anything with it. I remember it being good.

Hopefully ns2 will support AU and iPhone otherwise it’s pointless

• No justice, no peas.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@denx said:

@AudioGus said:

onterwting? Wtf?

ik dacht dat het was een echte vreemd nederlands woord, mijn nederlands is niet zo goed.

The rebellion will be crushed, I assure you.

• anticipation is making me wait

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Why do “we” even waiting for something that already exist on iPad/iPhone after all this years?
    We have sooooooo much good apps for music making on the iOS platform already, so why bother for Nanostudio 2?
    What can he do that hasn’t been done already in BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro, FL Studio Mobile, Korg Gadget etc etc etc...

Because IOS is about buying an app for $3 (because if a developer charges more they are a-holes,
    ) using it once, professing your undying love for it for the next year (even though you only ran it once when you bought it) until the next big thing, when you goto 10

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@MrSmileZ said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:

Go in over to Blip Interactives website and download the free Windows app of NS1. Its like BM2 with a synth that sounds a lot like Alchemy.

Even though the synth in ns1 (eve) is good, it is in no way, no how, no where near alchemy.

Eve is a subtractive synth, alchemy is a true morphing additive, spectral, va/subtractive, sampling, and granular synth...perhaps one of, if not the most powerful synthesizer and sampler, there is. Alchemy can do about anything there is to do to a sound. I so wish a full version would come to iOS. The alchemy preset player in GarageBand is a mere molecule of the real water to gold synth.

In the world of synths I only hold a few to the highest regard:
    Alchemy
    Reaktor
    The Roland Vsynth
    These are the three that I have found can do the most.

Only using iOS I can only speak for the iOS Alchemy. Since we’re on the subject however what do you consider are the greatest iOS synths?

Oh that’s a tough one, as I don’t regard many iOS synths as super powerful.
    I can only name the ones that stick out to me as having enough methods, parameters, and sound quality to be my “if I only could own one” synth on iOS...here’s what I would choose between

Synthmaster one
    Wavemapper
    Moog model 15
    Twin2 from fabfilter in Auria pro is awesome
    Thor (even though it isn’t AU) =(
    Europa has potential if it gets the entire engine eventually.

And if I had to narrow it down to one...Synthmaster one

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Brings back memories.

Wow. I'd still buy that app.

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Why do “we” even waiting for something that already exist on iPad/iPhone after all this years?

"Looking forward to" and "waiting" aren't the same thing. I don't think anyone is waiting.

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    We have sooooooo much good apps for music making on the iOS platform already, so why bother for Nanostudio 2?
    What can he do that hasn’t been done already in BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro, FL Studio Mobile, Korg Gadget etc etc etc...

Every app feels different and can dictate a certain workflow. I came to iOS a little late to experience NS1, but if people say they love it, then there must be something unique there. Then, I don't know of any DAW on iOS that has near every feature I'd like, or that works smoothly in every way. So there's always real potential for improvement with a new app. Maybe improvement for me but not someone else.

If there's a problem it's that there are too many inexpensive options available. Instead of investing in one main app, accepting it for what it is and isn't, committing to it and mastering it, it's easy to get sucked into taking the time to learn 20 apps and, not only lose focus, but still end up accepting some inefficiency and limitations. But, hey, for a few bucks it's almost unfair not to give a new app a chance. :)

• @lovadamusic said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Every app feels different and can dictate a certain workflow. I came to iOS a little late to experience NS1, but if people say they love it, then there must be something unique there. Then, I don't know of any DAW on iOS that has near every feature I'd like, or that works smoothly in every way. So there's always real potential for improvement with a new app. Maybe improvement for me but not someone else.

If there's a problem it's that there are too many inexpensive options available. Instead of investing in one main app, accepting it for what it is and isn't, committing to it and mastering it, it's easy to get sucked into taking the time to learn 20 apps and, not only lose focus, but still end up accepting some inefficiency and limitations. But, hey, for a few bucks it's almost unfair not to give a new app a chance. :)

For me apps are like albums. Just because I found ones I love doesn’t mean I will stop getting new ones.

• @AudioGus said:

@lovadamusic said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

For me apps are like albums. Just because I found ones I love doesn’t mean I will stop getting new ones.

You sir are an enabler of the worst and most pernicious kind. We love you for it.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

@lovadamusic said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

You sir are an enabler of the worst and most pernicious kind. We love you for it.

Moohaha... :heart:

• @MrSmileZ said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@MrSmileZ said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:

Go in over to Blip Interactives website and download the free Windows app of NS1. Its like BM2 with a synth that sounds a lot like Alchemy.

Even though the synth in ns1 (eve) is good, it is in no way, no how, no where near alchemy.

Eve is a subtractive synth, alchemy is a true morphing additive, spectral, va/subtractive, sampling, and granular synth...perhaps one of, if not the most powerful synthesizer and sampler, there is. Alchemy can do about anything there is to do to a sound. I so wish a full version would come to iOS. The alchemy preset player in GarageBand is a mere molecule of the real water to gold synth.

In the world of synths I only hold a few to the highest regard:
    Alchemy
    Reaktor
    The Roland Vsynth
    These are the three that I have found can do the most.

Only using iOS I can only speak for the iOS Alchemy. Since we’re on the subject however what do you consider are the greatest iOS synths?

Oh that’s a tough one, as I don’t regard many iOS synths as super powerful.
    I can only name the ones that stick out to me as having enough methods, parameters, and sound quality to be my “if I only could own one” synth on iOS...here’s what I would choose between

Synthmaster one
    Wavemapper
    Moog model 15
    Twin2 from fabfilter in Auria pro is awesome
    Thor (even though it isn’t AU) =(
    Europa has potential if it gets the entire engine eventually.

And if I had to narrow it down to one...Synthmaster one

+1

• edited September 2018

The thread sent me back into NS1 after a long hiatus. I have it on an iPad 1 iOS 5.4ish, that I keep at school for my students. Brought it home to charge and how lovely Nanostudio software is. Last time of looking forward to something Blip was up to was waiting for iPad version of NS1. Today NS1 was exactly as cool to work in as when the iPad version first went live. How much more so this next something.

• edited September 2018

+1 on that Littlewoodg
    (Although I never took a hiatus from NS1)

• edited September 2018

ANI was a massive user of NS1, I’m sure she will be on the NS2 bandwagon, here she talks about a mystery synth in her new setup. Could it be #Obsidian !

• I think perhaps people who weren’t there at the time probably just don’t get how amazing NS1 was at the time. To my memory it was incredibly stable whilst being at the bleeding edge of what was available on iOS at the time.
    Now if NS2 is like my memory of the original it will do everything promised on the box and hopefully be pretty much bug free.

• I do hope NS2 'improves' the NS1's patch & presets management which I found to be really awkward and backwards especially for Eden presets where some presets were stuck with the session and some where global in a total mess so...

...I do hope NS2 separates presets and sessions so we don't end up with presets with the same name but totally different and tweaked content. (Ie. as long as the preset is 'unchanged' it remains in the global preset pool, but once changed the 'tweaked' patch could either be given a new name and if the user chooses saved to the global preset pool or kept only in the session).

While I do get that in order to fully export a session to another device the presets would have to be 'baked in' into the exported session but that could be 'optional' when exporting/saving a session.

Worst example on how to not do preset management is the Roland JD-Xi :D

• @Samu said:
    I do hope NS2 'improves' the NS1's patch & presets management which I found to be really awkward and backwards especially for Eden presets where some presets were stuck with the session and some where global in a total mess so...

...I do hope NS2 separates presets and sessions so we don't end up with presets with the same name but totally different and tweaked content. (Ie. as long as the preset is 'unchanged' it remains in the global preset pool, but once changed the 'tweaked' patch could either be given a new name and if the user chooses saved to the global preset pool or kept only in the session).

While I do get that in order to fully export a session to another device the presets would have to be 'baked in' into the exported session but that could be 'optional' when exporting/saving a session.

Worst example on how to not do preset management is the Roland JD-Xi :D

In NS1 you did have the choice to save Eden patches globally or with the project. Same with samples. Not sure what you’re saying here.

• @anickt said:

In NS1 you did have the choice to save Eden patches globally or with the project. Same with samples. Not sure what you’re saying here.

It was the Eden 'bank' system. Some of the banks were available globally some tied to the active project.
    I never properly managed to import sound banks with samples into Eden either where it 'just worked' and always got these 'missing samples' and yada yada. I still have NS1 installed on my desktop though...

• edited September 2018

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

It was the Eden 'bank' system. Some of the banks were available globally some tied to the active project.
    I never properly managed to import sound banks with samples into Eden either where it 'just worked' and always got these 'missing samples' and yada yada. I still have NS1 installed on my desktop though...

I agree it wasn’t ideal. Looks like it’s been updated significantly.

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/4w/taw7y9c1khfw.png

This discussion has been closed.