Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 update

Comments

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:
    I think this thread, and the next one about the next long-awaited app (eg. Drambo?) is just the thing we do. We need this 'thing' to represent our dreams and aspirations. I mean, this is how I get through the day. Life can be very boring and redundant and boring ... so we come here and get all amped up about the new something because it is something we can actually get excited about.

So us passionate music-types, get all invested in this non-tangible thing until it's released. Then when it lands we will just pummel it because it didn't live up to the hopes we had ascribed to it - realistic or not. I'm guilty of this myself, more than once.

Dayum son! Heavy. On forums I'm pretty much just spitting sun flower seeds while tossing a baseball in the back yard. For me, talk of dreams and aspirations is reserved for the docks / dusty basements.

Haha.
    Me, I'm reclining under an oak tree with a piece of sassafras in my teeth, jus' starin' at the clouds driftin' by as I wait for my best girl, Emmy, to return from the general store, where she has gone to fetch a piece of gingham. And an RCA to 1/8-inch mini cable, if they have one.

Very good 99. This internet will now be closed for the day. It was the gingham wot got me.

Ha. And when you awake, NS2!

• This is the 744th page on this thread

• @Telstar5 said:
    This is the 744th page on this thread

And it’s not released yet...

• @anickt said:

@Telstar5 said:

March 2013.

That’s when it looks like the hype started for NS2 on this forum.

March 2013.

AMAZING!

If we are doing a crescendo to the launch then the hype needs to increase dramatically! C’mon people! More, more, louder, LOUDER!

Take me home,Daddy!!!

• @gusgranite said:

@anickt said:

@Telstar5 said:

March 2013.

That’s when it looks like the hype started for NS2 on this forum.

March 2013.

AMAZING!

If we are doing a crescendo to the launch then the hype needs to increase dramatically! C’mon people! More, more, louder, LOUDER!

Take me home,Daddy!!!

• @dendy said:
    edit: hm found it, here are matt's words how it works, so my explanation is completely wrong :)
    http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/11615?page=22

Basically it's like feeding something through an infinite reverb, sampling the tail and the making a perfect loop with no clicks. The frequency spectrum of the original sample remains, but it's smeared over time to make a constant seamless loop. It's also good for turning simple sounds into 'ensembles' and resampling cymbals etc.

Thanks for finding it! If it's a type of sample looping, like forward, reverse, alternate, spectral...possibly no adjustable parameters? It does sound a bit like granular or Mutable Clouds or 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator, so should be fun for fans of bowed cymbals and other bowed metallics. Also reminds me of the resynthesis in the Synclavier, but that's probably pushing it. Sounds similiar though. Good to see 'out of the box' thinking in NS2.

• It seems like many people want an all-in-one app that does everything??? We started saying the same thing when the MPC changed from MIDI Production Center to Music Production Center. :)

Since the earliest 64bit iPads (Air 1 and Mini 2) can be purchased used for a little over $100, I'm thinking about buying another Air 1 for NS2.

BM3's workflow personally clicked for me, so that's what I've spent the most time with. It runs well on an Air 1 - I can make complete songs with many sampled instruments and a few AUs. NS2 looks like it'll click for me too.

So NS2 and BM3 both synced with Ableton Link, sounds like a killer synthesis+sampling combo for dirt cheap.

Plus iPad headphone output sounds equal to the old Roland/Yamaha grooveboxes, plus having individual track export from the iOS apps means easy transfer to PC (or Auria Pro) for advanced mixing and mastering.

From http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/11615?page=16

Blip said last month: "Nothing wrong with an iPad Air 2 - that's the newest iPad I have. One of the demo songs has about 22 tracks, 20 instruments, 30 insert FX and it runs at around 25% CPU with a 2.9ms buffer size."

• @hansjbs said:
    :D :D :D . whatever you guysvare smoking I want some. Looks like you guys didn't use any other DAW before ios.

When I started in the mid 90’s the DAW were awkward. I mostly sequenced and the Ensoniq SD-1 was great for that. I later bought DAW like Sonar, but it had a steepnlearning curve and life situation didn’t allow me to spend many hours for weeks at a time to really get to grips with Sonar. Later tried Abelton. When I got an iPhone 3gs I tried BM. I could dabble with these things, but it wasn’t until NS1 that I was able to click with a DAW. That it was on my iPhone meant I could work in short snipets. Setting up to work my hardware studio with DAW was not so quick and easy. I was far more successful completeing tracks in NS1 than any other set up. That doesn’t mean I think NS1 was better than Sonar or Abelton, it just worked for ME. Results may vary.

@zhoe said:

@hansjbs said:

@Slam_Cut said:
    . If we look back to the development of iOS music apps, NS1 was a big reason the bar was raised back before iOS apps could even handle MIDI. A lot of the BM2/3 fans should thank NS1 for inspiring the BM devs to raise the bar. .

Huh???? What?????
    BM1 came out almost the same time the app store became a thing back in 2008. They are pioneers in this.
    Nanostudio came out July 2010

BM2 came out February 2011 (Which they started developing more than a year prior) so intua inspired a lot of developers that decided to make apps we enjoy today. So who inspired whom to raise the bar???

Hear hear. BM was the first, I bought it in 2008 for my iPod Touch that predated iPhone 1. No one wanted to invest in iOS music making at the time. A few iOS versions later Nanostudio was launched, along with some other apps that also saw the horizon. But, let's repeat and underline it once and for all, Intua were the pioneers.

I did not say NS1 came first. I used BM and it was not up to what I needed in a music creation environment. NS1 was 4 years in development (started development in 2006) and when it hit, I think it offered so much more than any other app that it seriously raised the bar. There may be people who don’t share this opinion, and they are welcomed to their opinions, but I think the majority of iOS musicians from that era would agree. I don’t know the developers at Intua, so I don’t know what inspired them to create BM2, but it sure seemed like they wanted to raise the bar on BM, and since NS1 was their main ‘competition’ they must have taken its feature into consideration when developing BM2, so it looked like they were inspired by NS1. I don’t think this was a bad thing, and it doesn’t matter wether or not they were inspired by NS1. I don’t mean to single out BM 1-3. I only mentioned it as lots of people are drawing conclusions or asking for comparisons based on BM. All devs must be aware of other apps and try to rise to the level of other apps or exceed them. That is natural. I think all apps are benefitting from the rising quality of other apps, and the development of the formats that allow these apps to be used together: AB/IAA/AUv3 etc.

• I’m tickled pink that NS2 will be AU plugins only. That should put the cat amongst the pigeons. 😉

I’m really looking forward to NS2 as well. I was only half joking about bring on the hype. It’s kind of fun actually. 😀

• edited November 2018

@gusgranite said:
    I’m tickled pink that NS2 will be AU plugins only. That should put the cat amongst the pigeons. 😉

I’m really looking forward to NS2 as well. I was only half joking about bring on the hype. It’s kind of fun actually. 😀

Ditching IAA could be good for overall stability and simplifying the update path. If BM3 ditched it for these reasons I would be more than fine with it. The only one I use much anymore is Effectrix and that should be AUed pretty soon.

I am very curious about sequencing/automating Egoist in NS2. Now in BM3 I can get four or five instances and it is pretty fun but the workflow may be smoother in NS2 without having to put things on pads or screen dive into patterns. An AU host that could do an AU/pattern split instead of AU/keyboard could be great.

• @AudioGus said:

@gusgranite said:
    I’m tickled pink that NS2 will be AU plugins only. That should put the cat amongst the pigeons. 😉

Ditching IAA could be good for overall stability and simplifying the update path. If BM3 ditched it for these reasons I would be more than fine with it. The only one I use much anymore is Effectrix and that should be AUed pretty soon.

I am very curious about sequencing/automating Egoist in NS2. Now in BM3 I can get four or five instances and it is pretty fun but the workflow may be smoother in NS2 without having to put things on pads or screen dive into patterns. An AU host that could do an AU/pattern split instead of AU/keyboard could be great.

I wonder if it’s going to have floating AU GUIs like in AUM. I miss that in BM3.

• edited November 2018

Egoist in NS2!! That will be awesome
    Easy creative sample slicing

• @ohwell said:
    Well said @ocelot

Agreed.

So NS2 and BM3 both synced with Ableton Link, sounds like a killer synthesis+sampling combo for dirt cheap.

Fantastic point. With a nice fixed custom case for both iPads and maybe an iConnectAudio4, it could be the groovebox to end all grooveboxes.

• @kinkujin said:
    I think this thread, and the next one about the next long-awaited app (eg. Drambo?) is just the thing we do. We need this 'thing' to represent our dreams and aspirations. I mean, this is how I get through the day. Life can be very boring and redundant and boring ... so we come here and get all amped up about the new something because it is something we can actually get excited about.

So us passionate music-types, get all invested in this non-tangible thing until it's released. Then when it lands we will just pummel it because it didn't live up to the hopes we had ascribed to it - realistic or not. I'm guilty of this myself, more than once.

In the case of NanoStudio, the dev seems to be a perfectionist and doesn't seem to make promises he can't keep. But, I'm sure I'll (we'll) find something to be disappointed about in it. I'd hate to be a developer. So much psychology.

At the risk of being a downer, if anyone today, with all the affordable music-making capability we have, is sitting around bored waiting for the new thing that's going to make their dreams come true, it's never going to happen. Look for a new dream or a new hobby. On the contrary---passionate music-types should be wishing they had more hours in the day to take advantage of what they already have.

• @anickt said:

@hansjbs said:
    :D :D :D . whatever you guysvare smoking I want some. Looks like you guys didn't use any other DAW before ios.

Looks like you’re one of those guys looking to stir things up! :D :D :D

No not at all.

• edited November 2018

@lovadamusic said:
    At the risk of being a downer, if anyone today, with all the affordable music-making capability we have, is sitting around bored waiting for the new thing that's going to make their dreams come true, it's never going to happen. Look for a new dream or a new hobby. On the contrary---passionate music-types should be wishing they had more hours in the day to take advantage of what they already have.

In some way you're right, but.

There is a lot of people who created music for years with NS1. But sooner or later (from various reasons) they were forced to update to iOS11 - which means they lost NS1 - or on other side they are still locked with iOS10, and cannot update just to not lost NS1 - so they doesn't have access to all this nice AU plugins)

They like NS1 workflow, and any other DAW available on iOS doesn't have for them this 'magic', found in NS1 . I think this is pretty much understandable. Every of us have different "dream DAW", there is no such thing like "perfect DAW for all", what one likes, other can completely hate.

All those people ale obviously enthusiastic (or "hyped" if you want use this word) about NS2. Because they see that again at least for few years they will have tool which really fulfil what they need for being creative. That's why all that "hype" or enthusiasm or whatever you call it.

• @AudioGus said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@wim said:

There’s a difference between criticizing people and poking fun at ‘em. ;)
    Seriously ... I think y’all are kind of cute. o:)

That’s fine. But it gets a bit tiresome to read the posts from ‘Debbie downers’ who can only criticize an app before it is even released. I don’t see how anyone can really be sitting on the fence for a $30 app that is this feature-packed, but if someone has already made up their mind not to get this app, why keep making negative posts?

50$ in Canada then because Apple can’t do math.

is that sweet potato math or just ordinary? :)

• I'm just looking forward to having some good oldfashioned fun diving into something new and exciting. I don't expect any environment to ever become the One To Dominate All Others for me. NS2 looks like it's going to be a nice counterpart to the recent pattern-based and structure-free sequencer flavors that we've been graced with :)

• edited November 2018

30 USD is approx 40 CAD .. plus there are often various per-country speciffic taxes which adds to price .. f

For example every Apple product price in EU is numerically same like in US, just in EURO not in $ .. so instead of $1000 for iPad you pay 1000 EUR for same iPad, event through it should be actually 880 EUR (same for other US products, not just Apple) ..

This is not Apple's fault, it's fault of fucking duty, taxes and regulations .. so you should probably blame your goverment, not Apple, for overprices appstore products in your country

• @lovadamusic said:

@kinkujin said:

In the case of NanoStudio, the dev seems to be a perfectionist and doesn't seem to make promises he can't keep. But, I'm sure I'll (we'll) find something to be disappointed about in it. I'd hate to be a developer. So much psychology.

I can walk and chew gum at the same time. 😊
    Dreaming and wishing while using the tools I’ve got. It’s all good.

• @lovadamusic said:

@kinkujin said:

I doubt if (for most people on this forum) anyone is “sitting around bored waiting for the new thing...”. For me anyway, it’s a matter of efficiency and getting the most done in the hours (or minutes) of the day that are available for music making. There are apps that contribute to that goal and those that don’t. Based on experience with NS1, NS2 will be one of those apps.

• @brambos said:
    I'm just looking forward to having some good oldfashioned fun diving into something new and exciting. I don't expect any environment to ever become the One To Dominate All Others for me. NS2 looks like it's going to be a nice counterpart to the recent pattern-based and structure-free sequencer flavors that we've been graced with :)

Me too. From all the apps I have NS1 was the only one that actually enabled me to finish tracks while waiting in the car for my wife.

I've had success with Auxy (before they went subscription. That sucks), Garage band (felt limited. before AUv3)
    But NS1 remained dear to me. Looking forward to NS2. Looks like a beast!

• @brambos said:
    I'm just looking forward to having some good oldfashioned fun diving into something new and exciting. I don't expect any environment to ever become the One To Dominate All Others for me. NS2 looks like it's going to be a nice counterpart to the recent pattern-based and structure-free sequencer flavors that we've been graced with :)

This.!!

• @brambos said:

Still waiting for the "iOS modular manifesto, volume 2"!

• @alecsbuga said:

@brambos said:

Me too. From all the apps I have NS1 was the only one that actually enabled me to finish tracks while waiting in the car for my wife.

I've had success with Auxy (before they went subscription. That sucks), Garage band (felt limited. before AUv3)

Yes, finishing. The grail. I would guess there are different apps for different folks, but the venn diagram would capture many similar as regards what gets things done. Auxy for sure (for me), which is why I pay the subscription at this point. Beathawk is not perfect in lots of ways but (for me) gets me there more easily than most. That's probably a separate post or piece of research altogether :) But one of the reasons for the NS2 hype, for the dreaming, is many of us find it so hard to get beyond the loop and to finish songs. Anything that offers us the illusion it might partially do it for us is always going to be held up on high. At least until it lands :)

• edited November 2018

@dendy said:
    30 USD is approx 40 CAD .. plus there are often various per-country speciffic taxes which adds to price .. f

For example every Apple product price in EU is numerically same like in US, just in EURO not in $ .. so instead of $1000 for iPad you pay 1000 EUR for same iPad, event through it should be actually 880 EUR (same for other US products, not just Apple) ..

This is not Apple's fault, it's fault of fucking duty, taxes and regulations .. so you should probably blame your goverment, not Apple, for overprices appstore products in your country

Or that

• This)!!!)> @dendy said:

@lovadamusic said:

In some way you're right, but.

There is a lot of people who created music for years with NS1. But sooner or later (from various reasons) they were forced to update to iOS11 - which means they lost NS1 - or on other side they are still locked with iOS10, and cannot update just to not lost NS1 - so they doesn't have access to all this nice AU plugins)

They like NS1 workflow, and any other DAW available on iOS doesn't have for them this 'magic', found in NS1 . I think this is pretty much understandable. Every of us have different "dream DAW", there is no such thing like "perfect DAW for all", what one likes, other can completely hate.

All those people ale obviously enthusiastic (or "hyped" if you want use this word) about NS2. Because they see that again at least for few years they will have tool which really fulfil what they need for being creative. That's why all that "hype" or enthusiasm or whatever you call it.

This! There isn‘t a DAW for me on my iOS device since iOS 11. So i have to wait for a new start soon.

• NS2 for $30 $40 CAN €30 or twice the price is still a fabulous bargain compared to price of any DAW on PC/Mac. Closest bargain on PC is Reaper, which is a great bargain at around $60 (I think). All I have to do is remind myself how much I have spent on hardware and then any $30 app, even if it is just a synth app, seems like a bargain.

• edited November 2018

@alecsbuga said:

@brambos said:

Was that on iPhone? It's crazy how big the vaccum is atm for iPhone production environment with truly smooth workflow. That's what first got me hyped about NS2 - now I'm hyped about the whole thing..

@brambos I noticed in 2017 posts of yours that you mention the iPad being a much bigger market for you - you mention 5x more of your sales being on iPad, I think? Has the gap between the iPad and iPhone markets changed for you since then? What's your take on the likelihood of that balance being reshuffled by some game changing production environment that combines auv3 support with a truly outstanding iPhone workflow? (I'm asking because from my outsiders' perspective (I really don't know the ins and outs of this) it looks like there should in theory be a very big potential for growth in the iPhone music production market: at minimum, the sheer mobility of the phones gives them an edge neither tablets or PC's can directly compete with; there is also the sheer number of people with iphones on them at all times. I'm asking this question in the NS2 thread because of the point I made in reply to @alecsbuga .)

This discussion has been closed.