Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 update

Comments

• @Slam_Cut said:
    . If we look back to the development of iOS music apps, NS1 was a big reason the bar was raised back before iOS apps could even handle MIDI. A lot of the BM2/3 fans should thank NS1 for inspiring the BM devs to raise the bar. .

Huh???? What?????
    BM1 came out almost the same time the app store became a thing back in 2008. They are pioneers in this.
    Nanostudio came out July 2010
    BM2 came out February 2011 (Which they started developing more than a year prior) so intua inspired a lot of developers that decided to make apps we enjoy today. So who inspired whom to raise the bar???

• @wim said:

@Slam_Cut said:
    What does one wood plane do that another wood plane does not?

True, no matter how you slice it.

Oh cheese... :D

• edited November 2018

Super excited for nanostudio 2. Audio tracks are going to be added, just trying to get it released first. Obsidian looks and sounds amazing. As a big fan of nanostudio 1 I can tell you I made and finished more tracks in it than any other app. Also worked flawlessly on my iPhone which ns2 will eventually be universal as well. Bear in mind that Matt is a one man programming team hence why this has taken so long. Let's reserve judgement till we've actually used the app. The UI looks great to me. Particularly the sequencer

That being said. It may not be for everyone which is fine. There are lots of options but as an iPhone only user I am very excited for it

• @hansjbs said:

@Slam_Cut said:
    . If we look back to the development of iOS music apps, NS1 was a big reason the bar was raised back before iOS apps could even handle MIDI. A lot of the BM2/3 fans should thank NS1 for inspiring the BM devs to raise the bar. .

Huh???? What?????
    BM1 came out almost the same time the app store became a thing back in 2008. They are pioneers in this.
    BM2 came out February 2011 (Which they started developing more than a year prior) so intua inspired a lot of developers that decided to make apps we enjoy today. So who inspired whom to raise the bar???

As I remember there was a lot of talk about Beatmaker stealing from NS1 at the time. I can’t say which, if either claim is true. I found BM1 extremely difficult when it came to file management and just general workflow. NS1 was supplanted by Caustic for me and as I look back it was mainly because I was using a phone at the time and Caustic had a better UI for phone than NS1.

• edited November 2018

@Slam_Cut said:
    @AudioGus I think we should interpret the word “hate” a little less strong from people who are not native English speakers. I don’t think you are hating NS2. I took dendy’s comment more along the lines of your comments were comparitively the strongest against NS2, but they really weren’t very negative. All to say that the vibe isn’t very strong against NS2, but rather more positive in general. I think it was just a language thing, not a personal thing. But I did find your subsequent ‘examples’ of hate speech to be humorous. 😊

How about "spam"? One silly animated gif? This isn't a language thing. And no of course I am not 'against' an app. That would be crazy, err I mean, 'not of sound mind' err, whatever, yay forums...

• edited November 2018

As I remember there was a lot of talk about Beatmaker stealing from NS1 at the time. I can’t say which, if either claim is true.

definitely drag handles in seuencer they were simply invented by Matt :) Also some other details, but that doesn’t matter , it’s history.

Btw BM3 took a hell lot inspiration from NI iMaschine 2, first time i saw it i thought that Intua was bought by Native Instruments :-)

Thats how modern SW developement works, everybody steals ideas from others and then is (more or less sucessfully) trying to improve them , to add own vision on top of them ... nothing wrong about it...

• I'll most likely get NS2 when it drops and knowing myself I will start to look after things that are missing as that's a 'curse' I've been 'blessed' with from day one of my life :D

Like do we get a 'step sequencer'(ie. a custom LFO wave) that we can use a modulation source for the synthesis parameters and if so how fast will it go?(ie. can we set the 'duration per sequence step' in ms or frames?).

And yeah the 'chip tune addiction' is another one of those 'blessings'...

• :D :D :D . whatever you guysvare smoking I want some. Looks like you guys didn't use any other DAW before ios.

• @Turntablist said:

@RajahP said:
    So what can NS2 Do that BM3 can’t? A teaser video will be nice..

At this point, as far I can tell, a synth, network storage and buses, obviously Beatmaker has stuff that NS2 hasn't shown as being able to do yet by screenshots etc, so could be a good pairing having both.

Notes for Beatmaker, synths are a plenty in AU, buses can now be had in Beatmaker by buying Apematrix and network storage is available via a 3rd party app too, but obviously having all that built in is much better.

Thanks everyone for the responses..

• @Samu said:
    I'll most likely get NS2 when it drops and knowing myself I will start to look after things that are missing as that's a 'curse' I've been 'blessed' with from day one of my life :D

Like do we get a 'step sequencer'(ie. a custom LFO wave) that we can use a modulation source for the synthesis parameters and if so how fast will it go?(ie. can we set the 'duration per sequence step' in ms or frames?).

At least it seems to get morphable LFO‘s and patterns. A thing i miss in iOS a lot.

• @Cib said:

@Samu said:
    I'll most likely get NS2 when it drops and knowing myself I will start to look after things that are missing as that's a 'curse' I've been 'blessed' with from day one of my life :D

At least it seems to get morphable LFO‘s and patterns. A thing i miss in iOS a lot.

Custom LFO wave-forms(ie. a 'step sequencer' with optional & adjustable interpolation between the sequence steps) is something that unfortunately is missing in many synths as are loop-able envelopes which could also double as LFO's with proper value quantise options.(ie. set the levels at pre-set intervals matching the modulation destination for example semi-tones for pitch).

But from the looks of it it will be a challenge to find the 'missing pieces' in NS2 :)

• @hansjbs said:
    :D :D :D . whatever you guysvare smoking I want some. Looks like you guys didn't use any other DAW before ios.

Looks like you’re one of those guys looking to stir things up! :D :D :D

• I think this thread, and the next one about the next long-awaited app (eg. Drambo?) is just the thing we do. We need this 'thing' to represent our dreams and aspirations. I mean, this is how I get through the day. Life can be very boring and redundant and boring ... so we come here and get all amped up about the new something because it is something we can actually get excited about.

So us passionate music-types, get all invested in this non-tangible thing until it's released. Then when it lands we will just pummel it because it didn't live up to the hopes we had ascribed to it - realistic or not. I'm guilty of this myself, more than once.

In the case of NanoStudio, the dev seems to be a perfectionist and doesn't seem to make promises he can't keep. But, I'm sure I'll (we'll) find something to be disappointed about in it. I'd hate to be a developer. So much psychology.

• Yeah! A teaser would be awesome! Let us know what it looks like in moving pictures....

• @kinkujin said:
    I think this thread, and the next one about the next long-awaited app (eg. Drambo?) is just the thing we do. We need this 'thing' to represent our dreams and aspirations. I mean, this is how I get through the day. Life can be very boring and redundant and boring ... so we come here and get all amped up about the new something because it is something we can actually get excited about.

So us passionate music-types, get all invested in this non-tangible thing until it's released. Then when it lands we will just pummel it because it didn't live up to the hopes we had ascribed to it - realistic or not. I'm guilty of this myself, more than once.

Dayum son! Heavy. On forums I'm pretty much just spitting sun flower seeds while tossing a baseball in the back yard. For me, talk of dreams and aspirations is reserved for the docks / dusty basements.

• @hansjbs said:

@Slam_Cut said:

Huh???? What?????

Hear hear. BM was the first, I bought it in 2008 for my iPod Touch that predated iPhone 1. No one wanted to invest in iOS music making at the time. A few iOS versions later Nanostudio was launched, along with some other apps that also saw the horizon. But, let's repeat and underline it once and for all, Intua were the pioneers.

• @AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:
    I think this thread, and the next one about the next long-awaited app (eg. Drambo?) is just the thing we do. We need this 'thing' to represent our dreams and aspirations. I mean, this is how I get through the day. Life can be very boring and redundant and boring ... so we come here and get all amped up about the new something because it is something we can actually get excited about.

Dayum son! Heavy. On forums I'm pretty much just spitting sun flower seeds while tossing a baseball in the back yard. For me, talk of dreams and aspirations is reserved for the docks / dusty basements.

Haha.
    Me, I'm reclining under an oak tree with a piece of sassafras in my teeth, jus' starin' at the clouds driftin' by as I wait for my best girl, Emmy, to return from the general store, where she has gone to fetch a piece of gingham. And an RCA to 1/8-inch mini cable, if they have one.

• I need to keep in mind that iOS apps are a whole lot bigger part of some people’s world than they are to me before I go off ridiculing people for taking things so seriously. :|

• edited November 2018

@RajahP said:
    So what can NS2 Do that BM3 can’t? A teaser video will be nice..

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Not if it adds a month to release :)

+31

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

Haha.
    Me, I'm reclining under an oak tree with a piece of sassafras in my teeth, jus' starin' at the clouds driftin' by as I wait for my best girl, Emmy, to return from the general store, where she has gone to fetch a piece of gingham. And an RCA to 1/8-inch mini cable, if they have one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!

• I had drag handles in Tuareg, back in 2001. So there.

By the way, Tuareg also had the first “trancegate”, but since that was before trance went mainstream I called them “gatemask”.

:D

• edited November 2018

@brambos said:
    I had drag handles in Tuareg, back in 2001. So there.

really ? wow. you’re legendary man, still remember Hammerhead !!!

• edited November 2018

@dendy said:
    definitely drag handles in seuencer they were simply invented by Matt :)

No they weren't, they existed in PSP homebrew and PocketPC long before that, and quite possibly on the desktop too with Sequiter/Temper etc, seems silly to even have to mention it though, stealing ideas, please, how's about the stolen arranger from Cubase, maybe it is not stealing if it has been around so long you have no idea where it actually came from?

Once upon a time, somebody invented the wheel!!

• Can we talk about knitting also in this thread?

• @brambos said:

By the way, Tuareg also had the first “trancegate”, but since that was before trance went mainstream I called them “gatemask”.

:D

Yeah it still runs too, had it running a few months back.

• @alecsbuga said:
    Can we talk about knitting also in this thread?

No politics, no knitting. You know the rules.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@alecsbuga said:
    Can we talk about knitting also in this thread?

No politics, no knitting. You know the rules.

:)

• @dendy said:

@brambos said:

Spammerhead ;)

• @AudioGus said:

@dendy said:

@brambos said:

Spammerhead ;)

I remember Eraserhead. Ghastly masterpiece of surrealism, that, but wildly interesting to watch with a production history that's even more interesting.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

Haha.

Very good 99. This internet will now be closed for the day. It was the gingham wot got me.

This discussion has been closed.