Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 update

Comments

• @AudioGus : Along w Samu I always take note of your informed remarks on this forum.

• @Telstar5 said:
    @AudioGus : Along w Samu I always take note of your informed remarks on this forum.

Aww thanks Telstar5, but be mindful of the outright lies and BS I scatter in just for fun. :)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:
    So much hype! Curious to finally see what all the fuss is about...

Go in over to Blip Interactives website and download the free Windows app of NS1. Its like BM2 with a synth that sounds a lot like Alchemy.

Pedantic Internet nerds suck. Sorry to be one but I can't help myself: "BM2 is like NS1 without a synth" is more accurate. Based on release dates.

• @Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:

Go in over to Blip Interactives website and download the free Windows app of NS1. Its like BM2 with a synth that sounds a lot like Alchemy.

I had ns1 way back on phone and liked it. There were no real alternatives back then though. Just a lame AKAI app iirc. Curious to see how ns2 shapes up against today’s synths/samplers/sequencers.

+1
    A lot has changed in 8-9 since the NS 1. I remember the time when Intua forum was all about debates between BM and NS users. And nothing else was around. Now, we have tons of new apps, that have been game changers in their own right. I reckon NS2 will again be compared to BM3, and one thing is certain, it will have a proper synth engine unlike BM. And that has always been the case.

• This is very good news indeed

It is excellent he is taking his time to squash bugs before release, a highly professional approach

It’s even better he is taking time with the sample editor as the one in ns1 was fantastic and easy to use

This will be the best app ever to hit the App Store and likely bring much needed kudos to the iOS music community

It will be a great Xmas present 😃

My money is on a December release and that would make great biz sense too

• @syrupcore said:

Based on release dates.

... and design.

Couldn't help myself either. :)

• That’s the kind of optimism that I want to see!! Yeah!!

I’m not sure if I’ll pick this up myself as this kind of app has a lot of competition that I know how to use pretty comprehensively and I don’t have too much free time right now. Maybe down the road though!

• Thank you for passing along the update Mr. Sainsbury.

Love the developer's approach (and sense of humour). Not interested in comparing it to anything else, just want to see what his mind's been up to and write some songs.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:

Even though the synth in ns1 (eve) is good, it is in no way, no how, no where near alchemy.

Eve is a subtractive synth, alchemy is a true morphing additive, spectral, va/subtractive, sampling, and granular synth...perhaps one of, if not the most powerful synthesizer and sampler, there is. Alchemy can do about anything there is to do to a sound. I so wish a full version would come to iOS. The alchemy preset player in GarageBand is a mere molecule of the real water to gold synth.

In the world of synths I only hold a few to the highest regard:
    Alchemy
    Reaktor
    The Roland Vsynth
    These are the three that I have found can do the most.

• edited September 2018

I’m sure I’ve left out a synth...

• edited September 2018

@MrSmileZ said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:

Even though the synth in ns1 (eve) is good, it is in no way, no how, no where near alchemy.

Eve is a subtractive synth, alchemy is a true morphing additive, spectral, va/subtractive, sampling, and granular synth...perhaps one of, if not the most powerful synthesizer and sampler, there is. Alchemy can do about anything there is to do to a sound. I so wish a full version would come to iOS. The alchemy preset player in GarageBand is a mere molecule of the real water to gold synth.

In the world of synths I only hold a few to the highest regard:
    Alchemy
    Reaktor
    The Roland Vsynth
    These are the three that I have found can do the most.

Only using iOS I can only speak for the iOS Alchemy. Since we’re on the subject however what do you consider are the greatest iOS synths?

• A + + situation for me, as I need both a good DAW & a pair of new legs.

• While Alchemy is/was still my all time favorite synth...even the old crippled app (but not the one in GB now) since i could import 1000+ of my desktop presets into the app and there is quite nothing which can do these wonderful morphing sounds plus FX the way Alchemy does i really loved Eden from NS1.
    The new synth Obsidian in NS2 is still not the same but i´m pretty sure it will be my new favorite synth on iOS.
    I mean there are nit much hybrid synth available on iOS.
    From the feature list i think that Obsidian will be the best synth (for me at least) in terms of sound design and indeed which might comes closer to Alchemy than the others if you make clever use of the macros.
    I see it has morphing LFO´s, multi-samples, FM phase distortion, VA, nano saw (i guess kind of NS supersaw version), wavetable and maybe more.
    What is interesting for me also is that i guess Obsidian will be very efficient and i see NS2 will have groups and maybe it´s similar to kind of stack tracks in Logic where i can simple save and recall a multi-set up of instruments as one performance.
    What i also always liked about NS is that i could save and load FX chain set-ups.
    Of course i don´t think it will be the holy grail for everyone and indeed there is a huge competition out there.
    I do hope the iPhone version isn´t too far away.....

• @AudioGus said:

@Dawdles said:

I never used NS1 but aparently BM3 does some similar things in the sequencer that I like so I am already pumped.

I am just hoping for solid AU automation of all available parameters. The ability to split/merge pattern clips without losing automation alignment would be awesome. BM3s pattern automation breaks when you split a pattern which was a huge disappointment. NS2 has a sampler that supports super long wav files aparently, and I dont actually tax the BM3 sampler feature set too much (modulation etc) as is so who knows... could hold up in this regard well enough for me.

This could be a nice lean mean Groovedaw that usurps BM3 for me or I just go back to BM3... or if BM3.1 ever comes out, fixes the bugs and Link works again etc the two could play well together. Would be curious about the file system / export ability measuring up though as that is a huge strength of BM3, Anyway, I don’t expect it to cost too much and I am an app nerd so gimme gimme.

Yep your thoughts on this equal mine completely.
    Ps re pattern automation in bm3 as a work around, could you duplicate the pattern and then shorten them both in either direction to create two patterns which then retain the automation ?

• I never got the chance to got to know his works, meaning NS1. But I am highly excited nor for the new one and above all this obsidian synth sounds amazing in his samples. Lets hope that we can have a soundsfest for obsidian in November then :smiley:

• Yeah, as bad as it is (for me) to give up on apps — I’m hoping NS2 allows me to give up on several attempts to find my DAW. I’ll happily start deleting apps.

AU support to host all these wonderful synths I now have is a huge thing. Obsidian will be icing on the cake for me. But the way that first iteration worked when I opened it on my iPad 2 was ... ahhh finally! This is how it should be! I’m hoping (too much hope?) NS2 will bring that same workflow to the present. Very very excited for this release.

• @universe said:

@AudioGus said:

@Dawdles said:

I never used NS1 but aparently BM3 does some similar things in the sequencer that I like so I am already pumped.

I am just hoping for solid AU automation of all available parameters. The ability to split/merge pattern clips without losing automation alignment would be awesome. BM3s pattern automation breaks when you split a pattern which was a huge disappointment. NS2 has a sampler that supports super long wav files aparently, and I dont actually tax the BM3 sampler feature set too much (modulation etc) as is so who knows... could hold up in this regard well enough for me.

This could be a nice lean mean Groovedaw that usurps BM3 for me or I just go back to BM3... or if BM3.1 ever comes out, fixes the bugs and Link works again etc the two could play well together. Would be curious about the file system / export ability measuring up though as that is a huge strength of BM3, Anyway, I don’t expect it to cost too much and I am an app nerd so gimme gimme.

Ps re pattern automation in bm3 as a work around, could you duplicate the pattern and then shorten them both in either direction to create two patterns which then retain the automation ?

Hmmm, that sounds like an onterwting workaround... but how does one shorten from the front?

• @kinkujin said:
    Yeah, as bad as it is (for me) to give up on apps — I’m hoping NS2 allows me to give up on several attempts to find my DAW. I’ll happily start deleting apps.

AU support to host all these wonderful synths I now have is a huge thing. Obsidian will be icing on the cake for me. But the way that first iteration worked when I opened it on my iPad 2 was ... ahhh finally! This is how it should be! I’m hoping (too much hope?) NS2 will bring that same workflow to the present. Very very excited for this release.

Indeed it was magical when i opened NS1 and sadly never had this feeling again with any other iOS DAW.
    Like some other pre iOS 11 apps i could say an old fart thing like "in the past everything was better".
    But i guess i should try to forget about the past and look forward and hope NS2 will bring back my joy to create whole albums on an iOS device.

• @kinkujin said:
    Yeah, as bad as it is (for me) to give up on apps — I’m hoping NS2 allows me to give up on several attempts to find my DAW. I’ll happily start deleting apps.

• Why do “we” even waiting for something that already exist on iPad/iPhone after all this years?
    We have sooooooo much good apps for music making on the iOS platform already, so why bother for Nanostudio 2?
    What can he do that hasn’t been done already in BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro, FL Studio Mobile, Korg Gadget etc etc etc...

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Why do “we” even waiting for something that already exist on iPad/iPhone after all this years?
    We have sooooooo much good apps for music making on the iOS platform already, so why bother for Nanostudio 2?
    What can he do that hasn’t been done already in BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro, FL Studio Mobile, Korg Gadget etc etc etc...

I don't know. Lets find out! :)

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Why do “we” even waiting for something that already exist on iPad/iPhone after all this years?
    What can he do that hasn’t been done already in BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro, FL Studio Mobile, Korg Gadget etc etc etc

For me it all comes down to workflow. Gadget is king here - BM3 and Cubasis almost but not quite. Judging from experience using ns1 - I'm sure workflow will be killer on ns2. Also - the CPU useage on ns1 was unbelievably low - again thinking this will be true with 2. (Also rock solid performance - never crashes) The obsidian synth sounds super cool - and personally I'm looking forward to the 400+ drum samples that come with the app (more IAPs if you want!).

So yes - nothing you can't do already using previous existing apps - but the above reasons are why I'm going to bother with ns2

• edited September 2018

@ErrkaPetti said:

Also... why run BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro, FL Studio Mobile, Korg Gadget etc etc etc

...when potentially you can run just NS2 ;)

• Brings back memories.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

It will have a freshness about it

The apps you mentioned are good but this will be super tight, not an iap hog and have an amazing sound engine

My money is on the most successful music app ever, with this one

Sure many won’t need it but many will want it then realise they needed it

• @AudioGus said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Also... why run BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro, FL Studio Mobile, Korg Gadget etc etc etc

...when potentially you can run just NS2 ;)

Ditto

• @Halftone said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    What can he do that hasn’t been done already in BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro, FL Studio Mobile, Korg Gadget etc etc etc

For me it all comes down to workflow. Gadget is king here - BM3 and Cubasis almost but not quite. Judging from experience using ns1 - I'm sure workflow will be killer on ns2. Also - the CPU useage on ns1 was unbelievably low - again thinking this will be true with 2. (Also rock solid performance - never crashes) The obsidian synth sounds super cool - and personally I'm looking forward to the 400+ drum samples that come with the app (more IAPs if you want!).

So yes - nothing you can't do already using previous existing apps - but the above reasons are why I'm going to bother with ns2

Definitely workflow. For me the best workflow apps are Caustic, Auxy, and FL studio. But each has something missing. I was recently using NS1 on an old phone and it felt really good to use. NS2 will be quite a bit better based on what I’m seeing on the NS forum. We are all searching for the Holy Grail. :D

• edited September 2018

I don’t own a iOS DAW yet so if It runs with midi at sample accurate timing, can run internally at 96khz 32 bit floating point with an external audio device and is stable then I’m interested.

• I still think StageLight gonna be the dark horse DAW on iOS once it hits this year just for its workflow plus its future prospects. But looking forward to NS2 just as much.

• @AudioGus said:

@universe said:

@AudioGus said:

@Dawdles said:

Hmmm, that sounds like an onterwting workaround... but how does one shorten from the front?

Oh yes forgot about that. You’d have to select all midi and move it to the start of the duplicated clip I guess.

This discussion has been closed.