Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 update

Comments

• @lovadamusic said:

@greengrocer said:

@lovadamusic said:

@greengrocer said:

@kinkujin said:

@AtticusL said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @iansainsbury Thank you. I really really hope the zombies stay out of it. I have decided NS2 is The Last App, after it drops I simply have to make do with what I considerably have and write some songs :)

Im joining in with this too. Our #nanoresolution. B)

Me too, except I'll be getting DRambo from BeepStreet as well. I sure wish I could "gift" a few of my not-used-enough apps to others.

Good suggestion. Would also be great to give apps away to other users. I'm only using iOS 11/12 devices. Bought in the past lots of apps that became obsolete when Apple killed 32 bits apps. There probably still a lot of users that could benefit from apps that people bought and not able to use anymore.

Great incentive for developers too. With users passing on their unused apps to other potential buyers, devs could make fewer sales on a platform where they're already working for practically nothing. ;)

Who says that these persons are potential buyers? And if you take these kind of ideas further, why should we recycle things. Let everybody pay for new stuff and forbid to sell it. Good for economy but so bad for the environment.

It's the difference between software and hardware. I have no idea what apps have to do with the environment.

Apple could allow people to give their app to other people, assuming they want to work out a mechanism that handles the transfer and makes sure the original user then has no further access to it. If you were a developer, it would cost you sales when those who want your app could, instead of buying it, look for someone who wants to give it to them for free. As an iOS music-maker, if you want to give developers another reason not to take the platform seriously as a decent source of income, then users giving apps away as gifts is a good idea.

I agree hardware and software is different. I compare this with environment because of overconsumption and other post captalist issues that resluts in similair problems, sort of. Bottom line there's a group of people that have plenty of money or a little bit less and can buy everything, another group that doesn't. The first group could just give away, or sell for reduced price to the second group. From this pov the 2nd group could get better opportunities and everybody is served. I think in the end also the devs are served with this.
    BTW I think also in a 2nd hand market, good apps keep their value and shitty ones loose it because nobody wants them or only at a reduced price. Also a 2nd hand marketplace will lead to more reviews which is also good for the devs that develop good apps.

• If “Shaun of the Dead” starts before the launch if NS2, I volunteer to go over and fight zombies until the app is completed and available on the App Store.

• @syrupcore said:

@3sleeves said:
    9 days strong into NanoNovember on Instagram...if NS2 doesn’t drop this year I may dial up the portamento on my drinking habits too @lukesleepwalker

These are great little bangers.

Thanks for listening...I think we collaborated on a Nanostudio track a few years ago @syrupcore 🤔

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lovadamusic said:

@greengrocer said:

@lovadamusic said:

@greengrocer said:

@kinkujin said:

@AtticusL said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @iansainsbury Thank you. I really really hope the zombies stay out of it. I have decided NS2 is The Last App, after it drops I simply have to make do with what I considerably have and write some songs :)

Me too, except I'll be getting DRambo from BeepStreet as well. I sure wish I could "gift" a few of my not-used-enough apps to others.

Good suggestion. Would also be great to give apps away to other users. I'm only using iOS 11/12 devices. Bought in the past lots of apps that became obsolete when Apple killed 32 bits apps. There probably still a lot of users that could benefit from apps that people bought and not able to use anymore.

Great incentive for developers too. With users passing on their unused apps to other potential buyers, devs could make fewer sales on a platform where they're already working for practically nothing. ;)

Who says that these persons are potential buyers? And if you take these kind of ideas further, why should we recycle things. Let everybody pay for new stuff and forbid to sell it. Good for economy but so bad for the environment.

It's the difference between software and hardware. I have no idea what apps have to do with the environment.

Apple could allow people to give their app to other people, assuming they want to work out a mechanism that handles the transfer and makes sure the original user then has no further access to it. If you were a developer, it would cost you sales when those who want your app could, instead of buying it, look for someone who wants to give it to them for free. As an iOS music-maker, if you want to give developers another reason not to take the platform seriously as a decent source of income, then users giving apps away as gifts is a good idea.

And you're right and I get you and I agree, BUT STILL there is something of the old book owner about this that still sits around in my head and I would like to pass along that which I will never again touch to others who may not be able to touch (for reasons) but could now touch and get a bit of pleasure or use out of, not exactly like that half a joint in the ashtray I'm never now going to smoke, but you know.

I know.

:)

But I want it to fall open to my favorite passages, with the pages yellowed and where the dog chewed on one of the corners. It's just not the same. :)

• @greengrocer said:

@lovadamusic said:

@greengrocer said:

@lovadamusic said:

@greengrocer said:

@kinkujin said:

@AtticusL said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I agree hardware and software is different. I compare this with environment because of overconsumption and other post captalist issues that resluts in similair problems, sort of. Bottom line there's a group of people that have plenty of money or a little bit less and can buy everything, another group that doesn't. The first group could just give away, or sell for reduced price to the second group. From this pov the 2nd group could get better opportunities and everybody is served. I think in the end also the devs are served with this.
    BTW I think also in a 2nd hand market, good apps keep their value and shitty ones loose it because nobody wants them or only at a reduced price. Also a 2nd hand marketplace will lead to more reviews which is also good for the devs that develop good apps.

I like that our poorer iOS friends should not go appless. I'm thinking more of devs, the ones I see as the downtrodden on this platform. If a dev wants to give away free apps, let them decide. There's no difference between the unused bits and bytes on your device and a copy given away by the developer. :)

• Poorer IOS friends?
    If you can afford the device, surely $5 for an app now and then is well within reach, are we confusing 'the ability to buy' with 'the want to buy' here?

• What a sad world if people are willing to pay lot money monthly for alcohol, cigarettes (or other drugs), but they are not willing to pay same (or even less!) money for great apps ...

priorities

• @dendy said:
    What a sad world if people are willing to pay lot money monthly for alcohol, cigarettes (or other drugs), but they are not willing to pay same (or even less!) money for great apps ...

priorities

I totally agree!

• Recent post from Blip:

“I've made a deliberate choice to keep the main install light, so aside from the inevitable drums (which can really only be done realistically with samples), most of the 300 or so Obsidian factory patches are all synthesis-based.

There's going to be a free sampler pack for the 8 other (paid) IAP sound packs, which comes with around 22 more patches in total including a multisampled piano and bass. The 8 IAP packs fall roughly into acoustic (orchestral, piano, guitar, strings, brass etc.), EDM, Trap/Hip Hop and Industrial/ambient.

I've worked closely with the sound pack's producer to ensure that they 'fill the gap' left by just synthesis based patches. We've also deliberately gone for good workhorse 'producer' sounds you can shape yourself, rather than one-trick samples which you could only use in one song before you've heard it too often.

So my main aim is that you guys get a fairly light app download (think it's ~130MB), and then the choice is placed in your hands about what you want to purchase from the 650MB of mainly sample-based IAP content on offer, rather than wasting device storage on a load a crap samples you'll never use and can't delete.

Sound reasonable?”

• It does. That's the thing with Blip. He always sounds very reasonable. OK, there is the glass of water to a man in the desert aspect, I grant you, but still.... :)

• @Slam_Cut said:

@dendy said:
    What a sad world if people are willing to pay lot money monthly for alcohol, cigarettes (or other drugs), but they are not willing to pay same (or even less!) money for great apps ...

priorities

I totally agree!

Come on, I buy a lot of apps and drugs and fags... I’m an appoholic, I can’t help it.
    I know the apps are Poison, and that I should stay with only the drugs and cigarettes, for the sake of my health and my way to nirvana. Hare Hare Rahma Rahma

• Nice to see also more about the FM part form Obsidian....it will by MY synth on iOS for sure.
    Not so impressed with the new iPads yet and for such a price i think i might buy a cheap iPad for just NS2 and just have all i ever need on a tablet :)

• Never used the old one, but this hype of the new one has become so unbearable that I am now highly anticipating the NS2 like you guys. The sound samples on soundcloud were really impressive and the screens look delicious.

Anyone knows a price yet? Were there iAP in the old one? With which price can one calculate?

• @david_2017 said:
    Never used the old one, but this hype of the new one has become so unbearable that I am now highly anticipating the NS2 like you guys. The sound samples on soundcloud were really impressive and the screens look delicious.

Anyone knows a price yet? Were there iAP in the old one? With which price can one calculate?

I don’t know the pricing but I remember with NS1 people were asking the dev for ways to send him more money. First time I had seen that. I don’t expect to be disappointed.

• @Kühl said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@dendy said:

priorities

I totally agree!

Come on, I buy a lot of apps and drugs and fags... I’m an appoholic, I can’t help it.
    I know the apps are Poison, and that I should stay with only the drugs and cigarettes, for the sake of my health and my way to nirvana. Hare Hare Rahma

OMG. LOLOOLOLOLO.

• @Kühl said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@dendy said:

priorities

I totally agree!

I know the apps are Poison, and that I should stay with only the drugs and cigarettes, for the sake of my health and my way to nirvana. Hare Hare Rahma Rahma

:lol: LOL! I was not expecting a good laugh this morning mate.

Me, not sure what the full cost of NS2 and IAPs will be, but I cut back on my smokes for about a month to get the $150 saved up. Anything left over will probably either go towards a nice meal or whatever Korg concocts around Black Friday.

Blip also posted about his "FM3" oscillator in Obsidian, and believe me, I couldn't really sleep last night.

• That said, Blip's latest thread....

I'm planning on submitting NS2 to Apple for testing around the 24th of November.

I also have a tentative launch date, which is the 6th of December, give or take a few days.

I don't expect the Apple approval process to take this long, but I want to allow for at least one turn-around if they reject it for some reason, and I also need time to unpeel my crusty coder hat and replace it with my equally disheveled web developer headpiece in order to give the Blip Interactive website and forum a make-over, and it makes sense to do this in parallel with the approval process.

The expected sales price for NS2 will be £28.99 UK ($29.99 USD for those on the other side of the pond).

There will be 9 IAP content packs at initial launch. One is a free taster and the other 8 will be paid, ranging from $4.99 each to $6.99 for the acoustic ones, which required significantly more multi-sampling work. Each pack typically has around 70+ Obsidian synth patches and between 5 and 15 Slate drum kits, depending on the genre.

I will probably remove NS1 from sale when NS2 goes live, as it only sells a few copies a month now and I'd prefer not to continue supporting it once all hell breaks loose with NS2.

A rough roadmap for the immediate future of NS2 will be:

• An update early in the new year to fix any bugs and small issues which weren't caught before launch
    • A major update around March 2019 to make the app universal (ie. iPhone compatible), along with the introduction of a super-efficient convolution reverb as IAP (price TBA)
    • A second major update around June 2019 to introduce audio tracks to the sequencer. This will be available as IAP somewhere in the range of $9.99, which means that a fully-loaded NS2 with audio track capability will be on a comparative level with other audio-track capable DAWs, but it will still have a lower entry point of $29.99 for those who are not particularly interested in audio track functionality.

No doubt there will be some minor updates in between these milestones. I could potentially go for a more aggressive timescale on the iPhone and audio track updates but it's been a long road getting this far and I want to incorporate a bit of slack and maybe even some normality in my life after launch.

After much deliberation and fence sitting I've decided I will start afresh with a new forum. There are a number of justifications (excuses?) for this:

• The current forum software is old and needs a lot of work to bring it up to the latest level
    • I'd prefer anyway to change to a new forum system (Vanilla forums), and converting the existing database is scary and error-prone
    • The forum goes back almost 10 years and has a lot of posts which are effectively dead or irrelevant when the new app goes live
    • There are a lot of dead user accounts which haven't been used for years and are not worth keeping

So, sometime before the 7th of December you will find that there's a new forum in place and you will need to create a new account and start afresh. The first person to join and type "FIRST POST!" will either get a prize or a kicking, depending upon how frayed I am by that point.

I will ask one of my more web-savvy friends to see if there's an easy way of crawling the 2137 posts in the NS1 songs page (ideally stripping out the dead links) as I think it would be nice to keep that thread at least for posterity in its own section on the new forum.

OK, I'd better get back to the proper work ...

• SO EXCITING!!!

• edited November 2018

Ok i need to wait for a new „buy a 50€ card and get 15% free on top“ sale around here and get the pennies ready... hoped for a quick early bird intro sale though

• Yeah man. Feels like we can all really and truly expect to see this soon. I will begin culling the herd of apps on my ipad now. So happy to see this and also happy for the dev who must be just ready to move on with life.

• Super curious. BM3 has made me pretty picky in some areas now (recording to pads and pad slicing) however I am very curious about NS2 automation and midi clip editing (timestretch? transpose? reverse? etc.)

• I mean i mainly want Obsidian....the rest is just a bonus :)

• Looks like I'll have until March 2019 to save up :p

• Just so I understand, you cannot record audio until the IAP comes out expected June 2019? When first released it will be a multi-track midi recorder only.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Just so I understand, you cannot record audio until the IAP comes out expected June 2019? When first released it will be a multi-track midi recorder only.

To my understanding it means no dedicated audio tracks, you can sample to/playback audio from the built in sampler. Probably similar to what we have in BM3.

• As far as I’m concerned this is a no-brainer. I will buy the app and all available IAP’s right away. After using (and “investing” in) almost every other DAW and then using NS1 recently on my old 5S there’s no question. Audio tracks are not huge for me but I will get that IAP when available and any others that come along as well. Blip does not jack users around like some devs have but has a quality product with excellent support and is easily in the “Best Devs Club”. You know who the others are! Not that anyone cares but there it is! :D

• edited November 2018

@recccp said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Just so I understand, you cannot record audio until the IAP comes out expected June 2019? When first released it will be a multi-track midi recorder only.

To my understanding it means no dedicated audio tracks, you can sample to/playback audio from the built in sampler. Probably similar to what we have in BM3.

ah OK, I don't have BM3. So you import audio into a NS2 internal sampler and you can save the project with all the audio in that sampler you just can't record this audio within NS2 until next summer when the IAP comes out. You will need to record the audio into another DAW for the time being.

• @recccp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

That's an incorrect statement BM3 fully support audio tracks.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@recccp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

ah OK, I don't have BM3. So you import audio into a NS2 internal sampler and you can save the project with all the audio in that sampler you just can't record this audio within NS2 until next summer when the IAP comes out. You will need to record the audio into another DAW for the time being.

I'm pretty sure you can record audio into the sampler. The only difference I guess is instead of building song from audio blocks you will trigger the samplers pads for audio to be played back. It shouldn't be an issue, unless you want to record multiple audio channels at once.

@hansjbs said:

@recccp said:

@[Deleted User] said:

That's an incorrect statement BM3 fully support audio tracks.

I meant the sampler functionality will be similar to the one in BM3.

This discussion has been closed.