Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is Thor broken in Ios 12?

I’m getting bad audio recording using Audiobus and IAA recording Thor into Cubasis. Is it just me or is the app legitimately broken now? Sounds good on it’s own but the IAA recording in Cubasis is shite and in Audioshare there’s nothing at all.

Comments

• i was having issues with it in 11. I think it has not been maintained for a while

• @eross said:
    i was having issues with it in 11. I think it has not been maintained for a while

They were too busy making Europa? Propellerheads are officially on my blacklist now.

• Bring on Europa and let Thor rest in Valhalla. IAA is doomed anyway...

• @Samu said:
    Bring on Europa and let Thor rest in Valhalla. IAA is doomed anyway...

Thor looks and sounds better than Europa. It’s ridiculous to say IA A is doomed as AU is just as buggy and less supported.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Samu said:

Thor looks and sounds better than Europa. It’s ridiculous to say IA A is doomed as AU is just as buggy and less supported.

+1 Thor rocks!!!

• @eross said:
    i was having issues with it in 11. I think it has not been maintained for a while

I use Thor quite often -- I've never had one issue with it on ios11 (or even ios9 or 10 actually.) Haven't upgraded to 12 yet... oh, and I believe there was an update to Thor within the past 6-7 months - maybe March or April of 2018.

Any others report on Thor in ios12?

• Oh really? I’m gonna have to go check it out again. last time i used it it had the same popping audio he had exsplained. i’ll have to check it out when i get home. Thor is a awesome synth. glad to see it’s still breathing. Now we just need to redirect z3ta synth > @Halftone said:

@eross said:

I use Thor quite often -- I've never had one issue with it on ios11 (or even ios9 or 10 actually.) Haven't upgraded to 12 yet... oh, and I believe there was an update to Thor within the past 6-7 months - maybe March or April of 2018.

• It was a glitch on my system apparently. I restarted and got better recordings, both with IAA and AB. Thor lives on!

• @Halftone said:

@eross said:

Just tested it -

Issue 1 - wouldn’t load in AUM unless opened in standalone first.

Issue 2 - keyboard not responding properly in standalone, but works fine if you load it in AUM, and use AUM’s keyboard.

Not sure about sound quality, sounds pretty much the same to me.

So still works, kinda, but needs an update.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@eross said:

Just tested it -

Issue 2 - keyboard not responding properly in standalone, but works fine if you load it in AUM, and use AUM’s keyboard.

Issue 1 - Standard procedure with IAAs launch the app first and in 99% of the cases it will work.
    Issue 2 - The keyboard issue is most likely due to 'Edge Protection' not being turned on...(Just checked and that's the case).

• @Samu said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@eross said:

Just tested it -

Issue 1 - Standard procedure with IAAs launch the app first and in 99% of the cases it will work.
    Issue 2 - The keyboard issue is most likely due to 'Edge Protection' not being turned on...(Just checked and that's the case).

I’ve always opened apps via AUM itself, 99% work that way, didn’t realise it was an issue.

How do you switch off edge protection?

• @Samu said:

By Odins Beard!...... Wouldn’t it be be nice to have both?..... :D

• @MonzoPro said:

I’ve always opened apps via AUM itself, 99% work that way, didn’t realise it was an issue.

How do you switch off edge protection?

That is unfortunately something the developer of the app has to add to their app, It's not something the user can add at will.

For the developer it's a few lines of code.
    This is what the Props would need to add to their app...

Add Code below to your UIViewController

-(UIRectEdge)preferredScreenEdgesDeferringSystemGestures
    {
    return UIRectEdgeAll;
    }

This 'issue' popped up already with iOS11 so it's nothing new but adoption of 'fixing' it is very slow just like files.app supprt...

• I agree Thor sounds way better than Europa, but they are quite different. I really don't see why Thor has not been updated to AU . It is still one of my favorite soft synths ever!

• @Antos3345 said:
    I agree Thor sounds way better than Europa, but they are quite different. I really don't see why Thor has not been updated to AU . It is still one of my favorite soft synths ever!

Who knows, the propellerheads might add AUv3 compatibility to thor soon.

• @Antos3345 said:
    I agree Thor sounds way better than Europa, but they are quite different. I really don't see why Thor has not been updated to AU . It is still one of my favorite soft synths ever!

Updating something to AU is not as easy as flipping a switch. I imagine that converting Thor, which is a beast, would take a fair amount of re-coding.

• I had problems with it last time I tried to use Thor, too. Very glitchy audio which trashed a number of my custom patches. Am I correct that is doesn't even show up as an option for IAA in Cubasis?

• @oddSTAR said:
    I had problems with it last time I tried to use Thor, too. Very glitchy audio which trashed a number of my custom patches. Am I correct that is doesn't even show up as an option for IAA in Cubasis?

It shows up when you create an audio track in Cubasis.

IAA-Generators are visible for audio tracks.
    IAA-Instruments show up on midi trakcs
    IAA-Effects show up in insert and other effects slots.

• It was working fine on ios 11 on my ipad. I will check tomorrow and let you know.

• True, but it works in AUM and Audiobus 3.

• edited September 2018

I won’t touch any propellerheads mobile stuff they don’t keep it updated and I don’t think they know what direction they wanna go...it’s a blind struggle thus far

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I won’t touch any propellerheads mobile stuff they don’t keep it updated and I don’t think they know what direction they wanna go...it’s a blind struggle thus far

I totally agree, wish they would add some more features to Thor and AU

• edited September 2018

@MrSmileZ said:

That’s pretty clear to me. What distinguished Propellerheads from Ableton was that Reason had the visuals. Thor has the visuals but Europa really doesn’t. Is Thor going to get real made in Reason compact? Besides that what is Octorex doing in Gadget and are we going to get anything else from them on the gadget platform? What happened to Figure and Alihoopa? What happened to Rebirth?

Long standing pattern of doing things half heartedly on IOS, starting things and then abandoning them or selling them to another company.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@MrSmileZ said:

That’s pretty clear to me. What distinguished Propellerheads from Ableton was that Reason had the visuals. Thor has the visuals but Europa really doesn’t. Is Thor going to get real made in Reason compact? Besides that what is Octorex doing in Gadget and are we going to get anything else from them on the gadget platform? What happened to Figure and Alihoopa? What happened to Rebirth?

Clearly they don’t know what direction they’re going in.

Sorry but your first statement is not true. Thor has been updated about once or twice every year since release - I think 2 updates this year - one early in the year and another in April or May.

It's probably my most used synth on iOS over the past 3-4 years. Also - I had it on my old iPad and hadn't updated it for a year or more - and then I got a new iPad in the spring and installed the latest version at the time and guess what - there were presets in the updated version i had never seen before!!!! (quite a few of them actually).

I think it's one of the most versatile sounding synths on iOS - and for me it's always been rock solid - very rare to crash or freeze - or any weird functionality. (But apparently not so for everybody according to some posts here).

• edited September 2018

@Halftone said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@MrSmileZ said:

Clearly they don’t know what direction they’re going in.

Sorry but your first statement is not true. Thor has been updated about once or twice every year since release - I think 2 updates this year - one early in the year and another in April or May.

It's probably my most used synth on iOS over the past 3-4 years. Also - I had it on my old iPad and hadn't updated it for a year or more - and then I got a new iPad in the spring and installed the latest version at the time and guess what - there were presets in the updated version i had never seen before!!!! (quite a few of them actually).

I think it's one of the most versatile sounding synths on iOS - and for me it's always been rock solid - very rare to crash or freeze - or any weird functionality. (But apparently not so for everybody according to some posts here).

I have been happy with Thor the whole time. I’m disappointed that Reason seem to be abandoning Thor and it’s UI concept for the new a Compact app. My point was that unlike Korg who made Gadget and stuck with it over the years is that Propellerheads have been dabbling in IOS as well but they never seem to fully commit to enything having any serious potential. Gadget is s Daw but Reason Compact will never be anything more than a sketch pad even if they give us numerous instruments to play with.

Anyway I’ll keep my Thor and pass on the new app as there’s not much Europa does that Thor doesn’t do just as well.

• Albeit in a very manly way, I really love Thor.

• Thor is very cool, and paid for itself a long time ago. If Propheads wants to half-ass any other synths for iOS that I can use for several years, and for a few bucks, I'm in.

• The edge detection thing has mucked it up for standalone. Unless you’re using an external MIDI keyboard, you have to expand the onboard keyboard, which then hides the synth knobs.

Needs a fix.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    ... Besides that what is Octorex doing in Gadget and are we going to get anything else from them on the gadget platform?

I agree that it's a half-hearted creation and I'm sincerely hoping for them to add the missing features including folder support, but nonetheless I'm very happy that they've introduced it and there's hardly any of my songs not using Stockholm.

• @rs2000 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    ... Besides that what is Octorex doing in Gadget and are we going to get anything else from them on the gadget platform?

I agree that it's a half-hearted creation and I'm sincerely hoping for them to add the missing features including folder support, but nonetheless I'm very happy that they've introduced it and there's hardly any of my songs not using Stockholm.

All their stuff is good and could be so much better if they stuck with a long term strategy.