Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quantum - in your workflow

Ok so, I just had to get it. It seems my travels in ios-land have gotten me very excited about the whole pattern based sequencing (i come from a more linear based approach). Would love to open up a discussion as to how you Quantum users are using this lovely app. Combined with other apps, if so, which ones? I read mention of combining it with Step-Poly-Arp which blows my mind. Using it by itself? In what hosts, etc?

The reason i ask is because it seems that I see one use for an app and often don't see the forest (of an app) for the tree that I initially purchased it for.

Let's talk...

Comments

• edited September 2018

+1
    Oh, I’m also very interested in learning more about Quantum workflows!
    Hope this thread will grow... 😊

• Quantum into apeMatrix, Audiobus or AUM, all works great. Take your pick :)
    It does have state saving in Audiobus so that can be used as a go between when working in the other two hosts as well, which helps.

I combine it with apps like streambyter and ScaleBud, when in the hosts to filter the midi in different ways. Will definitely get the new midi recorder to record parts to sequence again in the host when released.

• edited September 2018

Hey @Carnbot !
    "It does have state saving in Audiobus so that can be used as a go between when working in the other two hosts as well, which helps."

I don't know what this means. Whaddya mean by go-between? Thanks.

• I just mean that apeMatrix and AUM have statesaving too, in Audiobus. So you can use Audiobus as the statesaving host of Quantum sequencing aM or AUM.

• My Quantum workflow is actually quite simple. Usually running in AUM, with Model D fed through Kosmanaut fx. I use Quantim Rt controls to manage Model D (learnt) right hand side controls.
    For sequencing, start with a short 4 to 8 step sequence in a key you like, then extend it from there using select to copy/paste notes.
    Add variations by saving as versions (so you can load them back during performance).
    Playing back a sequence use Transpose & sequence controls(eg loop type F+1, trigger cinditions, ratchets) to add variation.
    There’s lots more in Quantum like parts, loop actions, automations, polyrhythms to add more variety and control.
    midi fx are useful too, echo for example can send the echo note to another channel so you can play it on another synth.

• edited September 2018

I encourage you to also try sequencing synths with inbuilt arps they produce interesting rhythms because your sequence of notes is triggering another sequence of notes (usually tempo sync) add audio delay to that mix and it sounds complex with minimal effort

• Thanks. I’ll certainly look into that once I can find my way through the app. :D

• Lately I've just been jamming in Quantum by adjusting all of its wonders in real time and recording the whole thing as MIDI into a DAW. The DAW hosts the instruments and/or provides MIDI Out to my hardware. Then, I stop quantum, go into the DAW, hit play (all still pointed at the same instruments), delete/fix the bits I don't like and edit the tune (ha!) from there.

• edited September 2018

First night after installing I got into it quick. Last night, I couldn't get anything to work. Pulling my hair out.

For some reason, when in the settings (sorry forgot the actual menu name) every time I would select an 'output' device, in this case Sunrizer synth, I would leave the menu and it would always default back to ' Quantum'. Same with 'input' (yeah I tried all settings in my harried attempt to get something working. Weird. No sound from Quantum.

So ... when all else fails, read the manual. Just downloaded.

• edited October 2018

I've found a bug in Quantum I think, at least on my ipad pro 12.9.
    Not able to export any midi files. Just says Error, failed to create musicSequence, in all my song files the same.
    Sequence files works and song files etc....

Works on my ipad Air2 though. iOS 12.

• edited October 2018

@syrupcore said:
    Lately I've just been jamming in Quantum by adjusting all of its wonders in real time and recording the whole thing as MIDI into a DAW. The DAW hosts the instruments and/or provides MIDI Out to my hardware. Then, I stop quantum, go into the DAW, hit play (all still pointed at the same instruments), delete/fix the bits I don't like and edit the tune (ha!) from there.

Ha, I do exactly this with my setup using Xequence as the Midi Recorder for Hardware and apps. Fun stuff!

• @midiSequencer said:
    My Quantum workflow is actually quite simple. Usually running in AUM, with Model D fed through Kosmanaut fx. I use Quantim Rt controls to manage Model D (learnt) right hand side controls.
    For sequencing, start with a short 4 to 8 step sequence in a key you like, then extend it from there using select to copy/paste notes.
    Add variations by saving as versions (so you can load them back during performance).
    Playing back a sequence use Transpose & sequence controls(eg loop type F+1, trigger cinditions, ratchets) to add variation.
    There’s lots more in Quantum like parts, loop actions, automations, polyrhythms to add more variety and control.
    midi fx are useful too, echo for example can send the echo note to another channel so you can play it on another synth.

Video available of the whole set up process and use?

Great to see master of domain demo set up

• @RUST( i )K
    this one, but you may have seen it?
    8 step sequence with versions. I transpose these.
    RT controls are used to directly control the Model D Modifier section (I mapped CC23+ to cutoff, etc running left to right, top to bottom).
    Variation is added via Loop Types (e.g. F+1 plays half the sequence, F+2 a third of it etc). With some loop types (e.g. F+4) you can end up with reverse playing.
    What it doesn't show is my Model D patch - I pick a percussive sound, add ARP (1/8, Up, 1 octave, gate=5) so that the arp plays even without midi input.
    This all sounds basic, so I add Kosmonaut for 3/16, 6/16 extra delays

• edited October 2018

Here is the Quantum RT Controls I generally use - Learn 23..30
    In ModelD & save them as cc map. The AU version allows you to use the last cc map.
    Note : Ignore the Midi CC button is a bug - I'm putting in RT controls for internal Q parameters :)

• edited October 2018

Here is the Kosmonaut patch (doesn't seem a way to share these?)
    @brambos - anyway to do this?

• edited October 2018

And here is the ModelD patch used with Effects - Bender & Delay are mix=0 but can be brought in.

• @kinkujin said:
    I read mention of combining it with Step-Poly-Arp which blows my mind.

It's pretty simple in practice but can indeed be mind blowing! Try this:

• Point Quantum MIDI at StepPolyArp
    • Point StepPolyArp at a synth app
    • Make a sequence in Quantum and set its "Tempo" (on the rack, just below the steps) to something slow like 4/1 or 8/1.
    • Now when you hit play in Quantum, the sequenced notes become the basis for SPA arpeggios instead of the SPA keyboard.
    • Remember that if you tap a step button you can enter chords on single steps
    • Combine with probability, etc and off you go
  • I just got Quantum and can't figure out how to hook it up in apeMatrix. Rosetta particles work fine as the MIDI generator, but Quantum doesn't show up when I load it. Rosetta is AU and the only option for Quantum that shows up in apeMatrix is IAA. Any tips greatly appreciated!

• Quantum is IAA only so it’s not going to show as an AU. I don’t have time to try Quantum in ApeMatrix right now to see if it works. You would likely have to pick ApeMatrix as the midi out in Quantum.

• @gkillmaster said:
    I just got Quantum and can't figure out how to hook it up in apeMatrix. Rosetta particles work fine as the MIDI generator, but Quantum doesn't show up when I load it. Rosetta is AU and the only option for Quantum that shows up in apeMatrix is IAA. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Yeah, you’ll need to enable apeMatrix in Quantum/ devices / midi output. Or select Quantum in apeMatrix midi input page, in right menu bar.

• @midiSequencer said:
    I encourage you to also try sequencing synths with inbuilt arps they produce interesting rhythms because your sequence of notes is triggering another sequence of notes (usually tempo sync) add audio delay to that mix and it sounds complex with minimal effort

Hmm some interesting experimentation lies ahead...

• @Carnbot said:

@gkillmaster said:
    I just got Quantum and can't figure out how to hook it up in apeMatrix. Rosetta particles work fine as the MIDI generator, but Quantum doesn't show up when I load it. Rosetta is AU and the only option for Quantum that shows up in apeMatrix is IAA. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Yeah, you’ll need to enable apeMatrix in Quantum/ devices / midi output. Or select Quantum in apeMatrix midi input page, in right menu bar.

Thank you! Yes, this worked!

• edited January 2019

Trying to learn more of Quantum more so, because of the soon to be released Photon (midi recorder+).. But, how does one record (or import) a midi file into Quantum? Thanks.

• @RajahP said:
    Trying to learn more of Quantum more so, because of the soon to be released Photon (midi recorder+).. But, how does one record (or import) a midi file into Quantum? Thanks.

There is no import of midi files into Quantum as its a step player/recorder aimed at improv/patterns rather than a midi file player/recorder.
    You can use Photon to record Quantum performances though.

• @midiSequencer said:

@RajahP said:

There is no import of midi files into Quantum as its a step player/recorder aimed at improv/patterns rather than a midi file player/recorder.
    You can use Photon to record Quantum performances though.

Ok.. but there is a record button, what is it for, or, how does it work? Thanks..

• You can record midi notes (eg from an external midi keyboard) into steps, either as single notes or chords. Auto advance is available, but the recording is limited to 64 steps in one midi channel.

• tap the white round button near the midi in & out buttons at the bottom of the main screen to open up the options. You need midi input enabled & devices/input active

• edited January 2019

@midiSequencer said:
    tap the white round button near the midi in & out buttons at the bottom of the main screen to open up the options. You need midi input enabled & devices/input active

I think I did this.. but will keep trying.. BRB.. Thanks....