Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MV08 bass lines — best way to “input” bass drum notes chromatically?

Whats the best way to play the bass drummsamples chromatically?

Can it be mapped to a keyboard or may I draw notes into a piano roll? I want to place specific pitches and don’t want to play with the rotary dial... thanks!

Comments

• Unless I’m missing something, that’s probably somewhat complicated.

I think you’d need to run it as an AUv3 in a host like AUM, map a cc to the BD pitch control, then use MidiFlow, MidiFire, Streambyter or something to map notes to cc values. It would take some trial and error to figure out the right cc values to send. I don’t see a manual anywhere that lays that out.

• @wim said:
    Unless I’m missing something, that’s probably somewhat complicated.

I think you’d need to run it as an AUv3 in a host like AUM, map a cc to the BD pitch control, then use MidiFlow, MidiFire, Streambyter or something to map notes to cc values. It would take some trial and error to figure out the right cc values to send. I don’t see a manual anywhere that lays that out.

I tried and came to the same conclusion. You could use the mod wheel of a controller, and it feels a little better than the dial in the app for live tweaking. But it is hard to be accurate, if that is what you are aiming for.

• @CracklePot said:

@wim said:

I tried and came to the same conclusion. You could use the mod wheel of a controller, and it feels a little better than the dial in the app for live tweaking. But it is hard to be accurate, if that is what you are aiming for.

Seems like a missed opportunity! I womder if there is a way to map CC messages using Midi Fire and other extra tools?

Anyone?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @audiobussy said:

@CracklePot said:

@wim said:

Seems like a missed opportunity! I womder if there is a way to map CC messages using Midi Fire and other extra tools?

Anyone?

regarding MV08, if you specifically like to use the kick from this app as tuned bass i would contact the dev. Maybe they did actually tune the kick drum samples chromatically so to add midi note control of the pitch would be possible for them to achieve... if the samples are chromatically tuned of course.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@audiobussy said:

@CracklePot said:

@wim said:

Anyone?

regarding MV08, if you specifically like to use the kick from this app as tuned bass i would contact the dev. Maybe they did actually tune the kick drum samples chromatically so to add midi note control of the pitch would be possible for them to achieve... if the samples are chromatically tuned of course.

When you change the pitch of the Kick, it adjusts in semi tone intervals, according to the value display that changes with the control. No idea of the actual root pitch though. I would imagine it is a ‘C’ of some sort, but need to try and measure it with a tuner or something similar.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

I checked it as best I could last night. Looks like the notes start on G something and go up 24 semitones. So, conceivably, 5 or 6 cc values per semitone. Definitely Midiflow, MidiFire, StreamByter, etc. could do it. But you’d have to go through a bunch of trial and error to figure out which cc values to send for each note, and to build the map, etc.

Perhaps more work than it’s worth IMO.

• Ive found this always a problem with drum machises. Samplers do it quite well.

• @breilly said:
    Ive found this always a problem with drum machises. Samplers do it quite well.

Yeah, aren't most songs that use 808-type bass drums as a bassline actually using 808 samples so they can pitch-adjust?

In MIDI Designer Pro 2, I was messing around and made a chromatic keyboard that would control the bass drum of my Roland TR-08 (Boutique) and play it chromatically. The "Tune" control was a 0-127 CC knob, so I fed it the TR-08 into a Korg Pitchblack tuner, and recorded which CC values corresponded to A, A#, B, etc. Then I set those values to each key on the control surface I made. It was actually quite fun and probably only took 30-45 minutes to set up.

Not sure if you could do something similar with MV08, but it depends if you can set the tuning to numerical values that accept CC controls. Otherwise, you'd need to just sample it.