Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Impaktor + FAC Envolver

edited September 2018 in General App Discussion

Last thing I want is to put more stress on @giku_beepstreet (get well soon, sorry for the lame puns...)

But impaktor is a long time love of mine, being a world class finger drummer (ahem). But haven’t used it in a while, and while we’re waiting for Drambo I thought I could revisit it, but now I can’t seem to host in AUM or even AudioShare it always gives an error? Haven’t reinstalled yet maybe that’s what’s missing? I updated ios but made no difference.

Anyway this is not the point of this post, what I was hoping for were suggestions on using impaktor and envolver together.

What I would like would be separation of sounds, like my right thumb could play the kick, right fingers play snare, left fingers play hats and toms.

With envolver it should be able to translate audio to midi so I can use whatever sounds I want. I have two devices to play with and I could buy piezos and stuff.

Any advice, gurus?

Comments

• edited September 2018

Btw, I could just play my drums on a midi controller, which I do, but it’s not the same thing, with impaktor you can be really subtle with ghost notes, and the surface you’re playing on. It really is another level, and pairing it with envolver opens so many possibilities...

• @Calverhall Those are really cool and affordable, gotta try me some, thanks for the tip!

• It will be very cool when Impaktor gets AU. One instance per drum... will be amazing.

I don’t think that what you are trying is possbile currently, mainly because Impaktor only is an IAA generator, meaning it generates the sounds, never able to be in the effects slot of Audiobus or AUM. The mic input always has to go directly to Impaktor.

Not sure where Envolver would come into your scenario... does Impaktor even receive midi?

• I could see Envolver being quite interesting in this scenario - impaktor provides the audio source, envolver sends ccs or notes based on that to some other channel. Or am I misunderstanding?

• @ALB yeah, that would work great. I thought Pedro was suggesting Envolver would send MIDI data to Impaktor

• @Hmtx said:
    @ALB yeah, that would work great. I thought Pedro was suggesting Envolver would send MIDI data to Impaktor

No problem!

• @pedro - I'm also having trouble loading Impaktor in AUM and AudioBus. For now, it's a no go.

• Impaktor still works in Audiobus 2.

What might also be suited to the purpose is Voxkit! by Secret Base Design.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/voxkit/id539347505?mt=8

You can teach it 4 different input sounds and it will either trigger 4 different internal soundfonts or send out MIDI signals to other apps. It also currently works in Audiobus 3.

• @hmtx @ALB yes I meant impaktor as sound generator, through envolver that would then generate midi for synths.
    I think I could split impaktor audio into bands (lows, mids, highs) in different channels in AUM, each with its own envolver routed to different synths.

Haven’t tested this scenario yet, but I’ve been studying it.

• @TheOriginalPaulB thanks for the AB2 tip, I’ll try it (deleted v2 when I got v3).

And I forgot I own voxkit, you are right it is made for this job. I can’t remember why I didn’t pay more attention back when I bought it, but I’m gonna take it for a spin.

• @pedro said:
    @hmtx @ALB yes I meant impaktor as sound generator, through envolver that would then generate midi for synths.
    I think I could split impaktor audio into bands (lows, mids, highs) in different channels in AUM, each with its own envolver routed to different synths.

That's exactly what I was going to write :)

Indeed very easy with AUM:

• single channel input with your source (I don't know Impaktor) and output to BUS A.
    • create as many channel as you need having BUS A as source and put an EQ on each one followed by Fac Envolver

I've used in-app eq if your need more surgical isolation you should maybe have a look to FABFILTER PRO-Q 2 (I don't have it).

Hope it helps,

Fred

• edited September 2018

I love Voxkit, its incredibly responsive (like Impaktor). Just tap table and get instant sound generated. its uncanny.

Problem is that I've never really succeeded in getting Voxkit to consistently register 4 different triggers. It seems a bit tricky to get 4 very distinct sounds that will trigger properly.

The UI is quirky and looks deceptively like a toy, but it is definitely a solid app and the MIDI works great for triggering other apps, etc.

Also for the OP, I don't think Voxkit responds to velocity for an expressive instrument. Thats something unique about Impaktor.

• Boom! FAC Envovler solves it without even needing Impaktor. I just saw @FredAntonCorvest reply above. I think Fred's example will give some impressive results.

A good EQ like ProQ-2 would definitely help isolate each "instrument" and then its up to your imagination how you want to us Envolver for shaping the MIDI that you send to different synths.

• @Hmtx said:
    Boom! FAC Envovler solves it without even needing Impaktor. I just saw @FredAntonCorvest reply above. I think Fred's example will give some impressive results.

A good EQ like ProQ-2 would definitely help isolate each "instrument" and then its up to your imagination how you want to us Envolver for shaping the MIDI that you send to different synths.

🙏🏼

• @FredAntonCorvest thanks! That’s exactly what I want :)
    AUM’s eq are pretty capable for this (and not ready to buy pro-q again).
    This setup can work with any sound source (I have try even an amen loop through this, with 3 envolvers mapped to cc74 of 3 model 15s)
    But the thing with impaktor (or voxkit for that matter) is that I can playing the loop.
    Anyway thanks for the tips and the amazing apps (big fan, here)

• @Hmtx to get a good separation you need to start at the source. I found a good sturdy wooden table with carefully placed noisy bits to be the best.
    And I found impaktor to have less latency, last I remember. Voxkit is doing midi on top of things, and it really follows a different approach (more like drumagog). Impaktor is more organic, in that it doesn’t replace sounds, it shapes them into something else.

• @pedro said:
    carefully placed noisy bits

Thanks, gotta try that.

I hear ya about Impaktor, it is really an amazing software.

• edited September 2018

@Hmtx I’m really hoping for some impaktor action on Drambo

• This is such a inspirational post. Cant wait to hear some results.

• @pedro said:
    @Hmtx I’m really hoping for some impaktor action on Drambo

:+1: I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't mention it because this was your thread and I didn't want to get off topic :lol:

• @Richtowns you might wanna take a seat :) at least the impaktor part will have to wait until @giku_beepstreet recovers...

• edited September 2018

So I went back into my Impaktor old recordings to find a test file (here if you want it https://www.dropbox.com/s/rc1qrj2zfyura26/Impaktor 17102015-trimmed(1).wav?dl=0) and I can totally split it into two channels in AUM, and drive two instances of model 15 with FAC enveloper :)
    Careful fx mangling in AUM help do the trick.
    Can’t spend more time on this right now, but it looks like it’s gonna be great fun!

• edited September 2018

Still trying to figure out the best way to save all this as an audiobus preset... (sample player in AUM and all? Is it possible?)

• Getting out my korg clip on microphone as I speak.... Im on this crazy train til the end 😁

• edited September 2018

It won’t look crazy once I get a million dollar hit at you guys expenses, muahahah!!!

EDIT: sorry, I got a little carried away with my plans of world domination..

• @pedro said:
    @hmtx @ALB yes I meant impaktor as sound generator, through envolver that would then generate midi for synths.

Interesting idea, wondering how it sounded. Please share if ya can.

• I suggest trying AAS Objeq in place of Impaktor, at least until Impaktor can work in AUM or Audiobus again.
    AAS Objeq is an AU effect than uses the mic input or app audio input, and can be fed into Envolver. Since it is AU, you may not need to do all of that signal band splitting, and can instead set up each instance to sound different.

• @CracklePot that’s a good idea. I didn’t purchase objeq when it came out, seemed a bit limited both in features and the sounds it produces, but it may be interesting in this scenario so I may take the plunge (at 5€ is not like it’ll break the bank). Thanks for the suggestion

• @breilly I just did a quick proof of concept, nothing worth sharing yet, but I intend to go down this rabbit hole and I’ll share anything worthwhile